Help with Sat' feed

Discussion in 'TV & Satellite' started by Jim, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I have a satellite dish on my roof and coming into my home I have two connections, as its a twin LNB jobby. I have a Sky box that requires one of those cables and I want to add a recording freesat box that needs two.

Can I use a splitter with other Satellite like we could with analogue TV, getting two feeds from the remaining cable? Or will I need a triple LNB.

2. Phill D

Phill D

I dont think a splitter will do this , but i am happy to be corrected. Are you sure your lnb is only a 2 outlet? Many fitted for sky + were 4,s ours was and i have run additional cables similar to what you want.:thumb:

3. bungy

bungy Funster

you 'could' but....

satellites transmit on high and low bands and in vertically and horizontally polarised RF fields; in order to switch channels the satellite receiver has to send a voltage signal (and potentially a fixed frequency signal) back up to the LNB on the dish. Various channels are spread across the different bands and polarisations which means you will get a conflict if you try and request channels that are on different segments of the transmission band

so if it was splitting for decoders that don't require dual feeds then that would be okish, but not advisable for what you are looking for.

Best option would be to fit a quad LNB, you can get them for around the £15 on ebay - good luck on thh roof:Eeek:

4. aba

aba

5. dna

dna Funster

Satcure is Great and Easy reading

Try visiting http://www.satcure.co.uk/. It is a site packed with technical knowledge presented in a non technical way. See http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/split_feed.htm for an explanation on how LNBs work.
    It is also a shopping site (something has to fund the operation!). I have no association with the site except as a previous customer

6. Bryan

Bryan Read Only Funster

Simple answer....yes.

But get a quad LNB

Not any dearer than a triple lnb plus you can then change the sky box for sky+ and record on both the boxes then :Smile:

7. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

And you may already have a quad LNB but with just two cables connected. I noticed ours (Sky) was a quad one, so I expect thats the only sort they use.

8. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

No.

The sat receiver controls the LNB to receive horizontal or vertical polarisation as needed, so if Sky needed a horizontal and Freesat needed a vertical it all goes pear-shaped.

I think.