HELP WITH KOUNTRY LITE FIFTH WHEEL ELECTRICS (1 Viewer)

Jimbob-3

Free Member
Jan 18, 2016
benidorm
Funster No
MH
5 th wheel
Exp
since 2010
Hi i have a 5th wheel by kountry lite on site in benidorm have problems with its electric as we keep tripping camp site if we have any of the on board appliance that run from the transformer like fridge,electric fire , microwave, we brought a new transformer from england installed it and its the same .
Do any of you no of a engineer that is good with these american 5 th wheel trailers in the benidorm area we are on camping La Torreta .

thanks Jim

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
First question is it the RCD that is tripping or the MCB, if it is the RCD you probably have a faulty appliance with a leakage to earth, however with an isolating transform I wouldn't expect it to trip the site RCD, I am assuming that it is an isolating transformer.
If it is the MCB's tripping you are drawing too much current and need to monitor what you are using at the same time, if you have an electric fire on and use the microwave I would be suprised if it didn't trip, microwaves can draw up to twice their rated power on start up.

OP
OP
J

Jimbob-3

Free Member
Jan 18, 2016
benidorm
Funster No
MH
5 th wheel
Exp
since 2010
thanks Lenny

we trip if we have nothing plugged in at the moment we have isolated the transformer and are only using portable appliances that plug into 3 pin sockets which works fine but i would like to be able to use the built in appliance like the fridge .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
J

Jimbob-3

Free Member
Jan 18, 2016
benidorm
Funster No
MH
5 th wheel
Exp
since 2010
it did sometimes and other times it would last a hour we have had this problem for over a year now

OP
OP
J

Jimbob-3

Free Member
Jan 18, 2016
benidorm
Funster No
MH
5 th wheel
Exp
since 2010
it all started when we travelled down to Spain last jan we had big trouble tripping we changed the plug in lead which seem to work for a while then moved again to another site and it all started again then we had another motorhome owner look and we can not find a answer so i was told post your problem hear to see if any one has a answer.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
This is a common issue with American RVs that have 240v - 110v step down transformers.. ..

it's the initial surge of current that trips the site MCB .. it can take several attempts to get it to reset ..

I had the same problem.. if you search on RVOC you will find many posts about it

You can buy anti surge devices, or fit a soft start transformer.. I never bothered just persevered..

Switch all the MCBs off at your 240 volt dis. board.. , then try to reset the site MCB...

Once reset turn them back on one at a time.. if it trips then you have found a faulty circuit or appliance..

If you cannot get it to reset then it would point to a fault either with the hook up lead or transformer wiring..

EDIT

should have said.. if the site supply is only 6 Amps it will be more troublesome than one with a 16A supply.. it also depends on the type of MCB , hence having problems on some sites and not others.

just for information.. this explains about types of MCBs.. Dodgy Link Removed

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
This is a common issue with RVs that have 240v - 110v step down transformers.. ..

it's the initial surge of current that trips the site MCB .. it can take several attempts to get it to reset ..

That's what I was thinking obviously a big transformer of several KW.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
@scotjimland, A good write up Jim. Lets hope this will sort a long term problem. The power of fun as we all know it. If the OP can sort this problem from the help here, then it would be £15 well spent.

Reactions: Jim

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
To clarify, I suspect the issue is a Transformer, (likely the one running your still fitted 110volt devices) when you try and start the Transformer will "Surge" because of something called hysteresis. If you have a Full load on the surge can be sufficient to trip your Supply. You can get a device called a "Soft Start" which will likely solve the issue. I found that One way was to switch everything off (6 breakers) switch the supply on and then S-l-o-w-ly switch on the breakers, starting with the Biggest and working to the Lowest rated. Worked 9 times out of 10 for me. The foregoing is my simplistic answer, but it can be complicated by Breaker quality, Voltage, supply amps, and several other factors. Spanish sites especially ones with older electrical systems where particularly prone to it!!. But having said that I blew the site breaker at at least two Caravan Club Sites!, before I finally "twigged" what was happening!.

Pete

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The OPs pitch has a completely new supply rated at 16amps. Should this trip when the converter is switched on ?. Elektrickery is not one of my strong points so I can be of little help to the OP other than keeping the thread active.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The OPs pitch has a completely new supply rated at 16amps. Should this trip when the converter is switched on ?. Elektrickery is not one of my strong points so I can be of little help to the OP other than keeping the thread active.

yes.. quite possible Dave, as mentioned before it also depends on the type of MCB .. I sometimes had trouble on 16A UK site supplies

has he tried as suggested in my first post ? ...

Switch all the MCBs off at the RV 240 volt dis. board.. , then reset the site MCB...
Once reset, turn them back on one at a time.. if the site MCB trips when turning on one of the RV MCBs you have found a faulty circuit or appliance..

If he still cannot reset the site MCB it would point to a faulty EHU cable or fault in the RV which will need testing by a competent electrician.. (not auto electrician) .. ... that's about as much advice as can be given from a distance )

OP
OP
J

Jimbob-3

Free Member
Jan 18, 2016
benidorm
Funster No
MH
5 th wheel
Exp
since 2010
Thank you all for your time and help and a big THANK YOU to Brian who came round and sorted out our problem and yes Brian it is still all OK many thanks Jim

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Thank you all for your time and help and a big THANK YOU to Brian who came round and sorted out our problem and yes Brian it is still all OK many thanks Jim

It is sorted? If so can you tell us what it was please?

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I reckon he hadn't put a shilling in!......... :confused:

Join us or log in to post a reply.