LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Both me and her have iPads.. but honest truth.. I bloody hate using it for anything more than playing silly games on..
Whilst I am sure there are lots of folk who will defend the iPad no matter what, and yes, I am sure they do have their uses, I cannot do any real work on the thing without VERY expensive software and even then it is incredibly complex..
Yes, if you are just gonna use it for browsing, the OCCASIONAL email and the odd game then fine, but you might as well buy a cheaper tablet as they all do much the same ....

As a by the by..
The advent of mobile fone and tablet use for sending emails and or ordering stuff on line has been an absolute pain in my side..
Why ?
Cos little screens and fat fingers do not mix.. The amount of times in the last year I have had folk order something and complain like mad cos they have ended up with the wrong stuff is crazy.. When you send a copy of their original order it is always the same... Oh.. must have clicked on the wrong thing.. did it on my fone or ipad or whatever...

Then there are all the nutty word errors where some weird predicting crap has changed a word and the sender has not bothered to read the message before sending it !!

I mean.. classic example just yesterday

Hi John, I have a metal barrister the seat that has gone trusty

Figure that bugger out !!!
Brilliant post, not really helping me though:LOL:

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Oh Oh Please! whats a mifi pod and if I have one do I need 3g with sim etc:)

Right here goes:-

I am going to update my phone.
I don't mind buying an Ipad or any other "pad" as well as a phone.
I want to get an internet connection whilst travelling in UK
I want to get an internet connection whilst travelling abroad
Ease of use is a plus
I have wifi at home (BT)
I have a reasonable laptop
I don't mind spending a few bob (haven't bought anything for beards)
Can I do all of the above on a phone?? (Apple Android or window?)

What shall I buy? Over to you lot:confused:o_O:unsure:

Well in your case just dig deep and buy an iPhone 6 plus............. every box ticked :p

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
Well in your case just dig deep and buy an iPhone 6 plus............. every box ticked
I agree, as long as you have excellent eyesight, the screen is a bit small for using as a tablet/ipad/laptop.
Just to confuse things if you opt for a big screen phone, remember you will need another unlocked phone for when you are abroad so you can use a local sim to keep costs down when phoning home.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I agree, as long as you have excellent eyesight, the screen is a bit small for using as a tablet/ipad/laptop.
Just to confuse things if you opt for a big screen phone, remember you will need another unlocked phone for when you are abroad so you can use a local sim to keep costs down when phoning home.

I think dabhand has got deep pockets ;)

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010

Ease of use is a plus
I have wifi at home (BT)

Mi fi is a mobile wi fi hot spot, it is usually a Pod in which you insert a SIM card. I'm sorry I can't help you with a Oh Please!, I don't know what that is:wink:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
well i have done something really crazy......bought an android tablet for my 5 year old grandson. because i doubt it will survive too long with his younger sister and brother i didnt want to waste money. in the end i bought a basic one made in china for £39 off ebay. didnt expect much for the price, but its pretty damned good for the price. plastic a bit thin feeling but it has a 9 inch screen and will run everything my expensive tablet can (other than gps for satnav)

my attitude is that if it lasts a year, great, as i will buy him something better next year

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I think dabhand has got deep pockets ;)
As someone whose spent about 3 groats on technology in the last 5 years, I find it irksome in the extreme now when people are able to send emails, get a phone signal, keep up to date, browse the web, load a map when they are lost, use GPS when they are even more lost, order a pizza from the top of Everest and take a bloody good picture whilst they are up there to boot. Time to buy the tool for the job:rolleyes:

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
But what, is my predicament, hence the babble:)

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
As someone whose spent about 3 groats on technology in the last 5 years, I find it irksome in the extreme now when people are able to send emails, get a phone signal, keep up to date, browse the web, load a map when they are lost, use GPS when they are even more lost, order a pizza from the top of Everest and take a bloody good picture whilst they are up there to boot. Time to buy the tool for the job:rolleyes:

I am married to the biggest technophobe in the world and she can get around a ipad so can anyone
email messaging take a photo or video and bloody candy crush after a couple of demos she is at it all
sod it I forgot shopping and spending using paypal
find some one who has one and get a free demo
or come along to Southport meet and I am sure we will be able to sort you out

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class

Ease of use is a plus
I have wifi at home (BT)

I don't think the IPad gives you a shave:) but will do most things you require of it;)

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie

Ease of use is a plus
I have wifi at home (BT)

Dont get a Nokia phone with windows on it

We have had nothing but grief with the two phones :mad:

OP
OP
colyboy
Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
URGENT. WHAT ABOUT AN APPLE IPAD RETINA 4TH GENERATION 16GB
USED BUT WITH 12 months G/tee 30 minutes to go now at £155 ebay

colyboy

Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
Talking about Samsung, I have just ordered an unlocked Samsung Galaxy, (second hand off Ebay, like all my gadgets), so that I can use my Spanish, French, Italian, Greek, sim when we go travelling, it will then "tether" with my Ipad.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Talking about Samsung, I have just ordered an unlocked Samsung Galaxy, (second hand off Ebay, like all my gadgets), so that I can use my Spanish, French, Italian, Greek, sim when we go travelling, it will then "tether" with my Ipad.
Do you really have 4 sim cards?

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
No, about the problem you are having.
Yes, I'm way, way out of the loop, and this from a man who had a binary web connection in the early nineties, who used to write his own batch programmes, and let his computer answer his phone with voice recognition software. Just got bored with it all and enjoyed living, now my inept communication systems, ie. sh*tty phone and a laptop, are beginning to impinge upon my enjoyment, not hugely, but enough. Which is why I'm trying to get up to speed with all that's available.

Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
Yes, but they are all used up, whichever country we are in I go to the local internet shop and buy a sim.
I.e. we are off to Spain, going through France, I will use my 3 sim for France, then when we get to Spain I will get a digi sim, which I have found to be the most reasonable value. I cannot be bothered with using campsite wifi, besides which having your own sim means it is secure, whereas using public wifi is not. I have a phone for the family to get in touch with me, and the Samsung will be for me to tether with the laptop & Ipad

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back