Help with heating and hot water

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Watky, May 11, 2014.

1. Watky

Watky

Please can anybody help.I am at screaming point.Away in Autotrail 740s in Scotland.Heating and Water have been working fine.Then yesterday it packed up, no green light on control panel tried it on hook up no yellow light.Checked fuses by door,checked fuses in PSU all ok.Everything else is working fine.Luckily we have Diesel heating but no hot water.Look forward to hearing from somebody.Thanks.

2. Phill D

Phill D

hi Watky, welcome.

i think youll need to provide a bit more detail on, type of heater? is it both gas and electric operation that have failed?

good luck

3. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

See you Nanook, did it by any chance freeze and dump the water from the hot tank?

4. Watky

Watky

Truma boiler Eh603.Thankyou for replying so quick.It did not dump water.It as been quiet mild so it's not frozen.I am new to posting threads and am not sure if I am doing this right.Why have I got a blue envelope on my post?

5. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Hi Watky and welcome to the forum :thumb:

Blue on a thread indicates you have posted in the thread :Smile:

Sooo, is it both electric and gas that has died a death.. ??

6. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

Don't know if that's the same as ours but our Truma occasionally throws a wobbly even with all the lights on, gas or electric or both, no hot water and no heating even when it's been working ok. Last time I pressed a green reset button on the top of the Truma housing although I don't think it actually moved. Worked ok after that. :Confused:

7. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

6 degrees is enough for the Truma safety valve to open, it doesnt need to be so cold and it could easily still reach that temp during the night, worth checking it.

8. Watky

Watky

Yes.Both electric and gas have a died.

9. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

And just to confirm ( sorry.. I am using up all your free posts but**... ) the water is coming out the taps ok ? Inc hot water taps but obviously not hot water ! )

If it is, save a post and do not reply cos we will all know its not water related at all :thumb:

** you get five free posts then have to become a full member to continue posting .. Proly be the best tenner you ever spend mind you :Wink: :thumb: )

10. Watky

Watky

No valve not open.i have just checked that.

Ours does not have a green button it as a red button on side.Pressed that but it doesn't seem to move when you touch it.

Help!

11. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

sounds somewhat like the supply has blown a fuse or the fuse on the truma control board has blown

12. Watky

Watky

I have a thought checked all fuses,and they are all ok.

Could it be on the panel above the door,Would there be a fuse behind there? Sorry for sounding so vague but I am olderrrrrr lady with a disabled husband,so it's up to me to get things back on track.Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TheBig1

ive seen a few fuse holders hidden behind the control panel. the truma control board is part of the heater

if you are getting NO lights on the controller either on gas or ehu, which is what it sounds like, the heater/hw is not getting 12v power. ideally you need a voltmeter/multimeter to check voltages. perfectly easy diy if you know how but can be daunting otherwise

14. Watky

Watky

No fuses behind control panel got that off.Do not have a vault meter and if I had wouldn't know how to use it. Gosh am I stressed with this.

15. Linda and Steph

Linda and Steph Funster

Where are you at the moment, there may be a funster nearby who could offer practical help.

16. Watky

Watky

We are at Tarbert on the Quay.Thanks But Motorhomes are a bit thin on the ground,not many about.

17. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Done a bit of digging for you.. I do not think this will be a lot of help but..................

A question has been asked elsewhere:

And the reply ( although a different MH all remains the same for yours )

18. TheBig1

sorry but without the basics like a meter it is very hard to diagnose the fault and fix it. for instance some fuses blow but still look to be good, so a visual only check wont really help.

all i can suggest is that you find somewhere local tomorrow with a dealership or auto electrician if there is nobody local to you that can possibly help. in the meantime there is always heating water the old way (Kettle or saucepan) and cold showers. we all survived camping this way not that many years ago

19. TheBig1

this is a local garage, who may be able to help
    Sharp's Garage, Churchill Quarry, Campbeltown Road, Tarbert, Argyll, PA29 6SX. Telephone: 01880 820006

no guarantees though and being in pretty much the middle of nowhere does have disadvantages

another option
    Bruce Harris Electrical, 12 Garval Terrace, Tarbert, Argyll, PA29 6TS. All types of electrical work undertaken: house, industrial, commercial, total control electric heating, also electric wet central heating boilers supplied and fitted. No job is too small and we have 24-hour callouts. Contact Telephone: 01880 820530, Fax: 01880 820530, Mobile: 07771648217 or email for free quotations

Last edited: May 11, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Watky

Watky

Thank you.I will go in the morning and see what I can make out.What a pain,yes all my flasks filled with hot water.