help with gas

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by annadg, May 8, 2013.

1. annadg

annadg Read Only Funster

We have had a faulty gas bottle ... Hope its that and not the connector ...
    Now we are in south France and need new one but can't see red canisters anywhere

Any advice from the wise and experienced please ?

At least we have a spare
    Anna & Mark

2. JohnM

JohnM Read Only Funster

I doubt it will be a bottle problem,what is the fault?

3. annadg

annadg Read Only Funster

Basically we had smell of gas and it ran out very fast!

4. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

DIY test is mix up some washing up liquid and water and dribble all over joints. You'll see the bubbles if there's a leak.

If you mean UK red Calor bottles, I don't think you'll find any in France. Alternative is buy a French regulator and French bottle.

5. JohnM

JohnM Read Only Funster

Have you tried going round all your gas connections with a little washing up liquid and water to check for leak? i had a leak a few weeks ago on my gaslow system found a few bubbles on one of the conections a quick tifhten up done the job. Hope this info helps.

6. JohnM

JohnM Read Only Funster

OOPS, Brian beat me to it.:Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  7. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

you wont find any in France....or anywhere else in Europe.

although the gas is the same the bottles are nationality specific......not the same.

as Brian said, you need a French bottle and regulator or the multi-national disposable Camping gaz bottle (very uneconomical) and regulator

8. timdownieuk

timdownieuk Funster

Where was the smell of gas? In the gas locker or in the van? If the latter, you really shouldn't be using any more gas at all!

If it was in the gas locker, I would check your flexible hoses, regulator and tank connectors before suspecting a faulty tank. Far more likely that your system is faulty rather than the tank.

Tim

9. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

I agree with all what has been said ......a smell of gas get:Eeek: it checked...call at any motorhome place in France....or the DIY soapy liquid method if the motorhome shops are closed, as Wednesday and Thursday this week are French holidays.....if a smell of gas it is advisable to turn the bottles off and not use the gas......untill you have been given the all clear
    If it is the bottle (which is very unlikely)....
    You could buy a tail like the picture below to connect to your regulator to a french bottle..both are female nut type connectors....it would be the same tail or similar tail in the uk you would use for butane...but in France this also fits the propane and then purchase a French Propane bottle from any supermarket....just make sure the bottle will fit in your gas locker as bottle size's do vary.....
    Send a PM to Dave Newel a fellow funster and lpg gas certified agent just to varify what I am saying about the butane pipe is correct.

Also if you require info on motorhome shops address's...call at a supermarket and buy a motorhome mag...(look in it first to make sure it has them inside)...at the back on most motorhome magazines is a list of agents /makes of motorhomes being sold in the departments in France...... look for the dept you are in for example...40, 64, 65, 09, 66, 34, 13, or 83....these are some of depts in the south of France it will show the agents selling the different makes of motorhomes...get the address of any and get your gas checked out:thumb:

[​IMG]

If you are not sure what dept your are in here is a link...
    http://www.google.fr/imgres?imgurl=...sH4rP0AWg3IDwBA&sqi=2&ved=0CEsQ9QEwBQ&dur=637

Last edited: May 9, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  10. stcyr

stcyr Funster

We get our gas from Carrefour - 1 euro deposit and about 23 euros for 13kg. Sometimes with free regulator... :thumb: