Free Member
Mar 12, 2015
Bude, Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Mature camper / Motorhome Newbie
Hi I have recently bought a Swift Sundance 590 PR 2005 and am planning on spending 6 months away in Europe in it. exterior staorage is very limited and I want to fix a top box to the roof. but on closer inspection there dosent seem to be a lot of room to do this without covering the Heki skylight or roof light. I have both cross and side bars fitted.

Any ideas or advice on this would be really appreciated.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
be very careful not to exceed your payload. if pulled over and weighed its big trouble and you will need to lose any excess before you can drive on. often better to tow a box trailer

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
as suggested.. that's what I had when away full time.. 750kg box trailer.. great on sites as you can use it like a shed to store chairs , bikes etc
also little or no effect on MPG, unlike a roof box which will reduce MPG , difficult to load and always the risk of falling off..

or a rear box mounted box on a bike rack or tow bar .. Fiamma make one or DIY

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
The top box will trigger sensors on toll booths (our sat dome does!).
If you still want to get through on class 2, brush up on your French!

OP
OP
D

Disco Stu

Free Member
Mar 12, 2015
Bude, Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Mature camper / Motorhome Newbie
Ok so it sounds like a top box is not the way forward? I will look into trailers instead. We are taking bikes so a rear box is not an option. Thanks for your advice everyone :)!!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Way to go.. and bikes can be transported inside the trailer .. much safer and they won't get filthy from road dirt..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We've fitted a Fiamma Ultrabox on the back of ours. It sits on the Fiamma bike rack. Adds about half a metre and it won't take much weight but for the bulky stuff, silver screen and folding chairs it is perfect. We had roof bars fitted but took them off. Far too much hassle and an unacceptable need for sobriety to get up onto the roof and a fixed ladder very bad for security.

Oops, just read your comment that the back is already taken.

There was a French company who made trailers which were fitted with twin tow hooks and castor wheels, a doddle to reverse, but they appear to have gone out of business as did the UK company which made something similar.

Edit: there is another French company making easy to reverse trailers. They don't look as rugged as the other company, whose name escapes me and you would need to fit a box. Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back