Help with first trip to Europe.. Please .... (1 Viewer)

dac5

Free Member
Mar 23, 2014
york
Funster No
MH
peugeot boxer
Exp
march 2014
Plymouth Roscoff is a nice crossing, pretty expensive though.

We like it in this area specifically Sanguinet, fresh water shallow warm lakes with sandy beaches and only a few miles from spectacular sea side beaches,google has pictures

View attachment 70788
Hi,
Just read your post, We will hopefully be traveling to Sanguinet in the motor home with the dogs next year to visit friends who live there. We used to fly but now have no dog sitters so haven't been for a few years.
I agree with everything you say. Have you visited the dune du pilat well worth it.
Dean

bhs

Free Member
Apr 16, 2015
Louth
Funster No
MH
b class
Exp
since 2006
Love Sanguinet, huge warm shallow fresh water lake, sandy shores, only a few miles from the ocean, miles of sandy beaches, 28 deg today

dac5

Free Member
Mar 23, 2014
york
Funster No
MH
peugeot boxer
Exp
march 2014
Our friends have a pool but it's too cold for me being a wimp but the lake is great, Can't wait to be in it again and the dogs will love it.
Dean

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Love Sanguinet, huge warm shallow fresh water lake, sandy shores, only a few miles from the ocean, miles of sandy beaches, 28 deg today

We are heading to Sanguinet... At the kind suggestion of member above it gave us a target place to go to. La Rochelle is also on the list as we plan to travel part way then stop for a few days then move farther down.

We have no set in stone itinerary and we have no set return date. We will simply go and hit the road and return when we've had enough.

Really looking forward to it and we are both extremely grateful for all the help and advice given and not forgetting the kind loan of the discount numbers.

Thank you all very much !

PORKSTER

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
I read lots of info on here best advice was just go and basicly thats what we did 1st we booked tunnel using Tesco vouchers. then armed ourselves with aires book camperstop book and a few apps our first stop was chosen on the tunnel Le Cretoy looked nice and of we went. 3 weeks did 3500 miles ended up in spain just made it up as we went along fantastic time France is motorhome heaven. So JUST GO ENJOY

bhs

Free Member
Apr 16, 2015
Louth
Funster No
MH
b class
Exp
since 2006
Have a great time, we are right behind you! (elderly white Hymer full of poodles, we only take them to help with translation) Be great if our paths cross

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
Strictly speaking I think it means that the live and neutral terminals are swapped.

To Bacchus - have a read of this article, look under the AC bit.

Reverse polarity is only a problem if you have single pole switches (i.e. only switching the live terminal) and insist on fiddling with the electrics whilst only relying upon that switch being off.

I tried following the link, but it is full of Americanisms like "hot", "phase" and "ground", I am more familiar with live, shared, and earth, however Googling around a bit and in light of your comments above, I think I get it.
I must confess, swapping Neutral and Earth did sound very dangerous, but what I gather now is that the "Neutral" is simply earthed at the power station, and the Live carries a voltage between -120 and +120.
Ignoring our "earth", I assume that reverse polarity means that the Neutral carries the live volage and the Live is earthed at the powerstation, so even if the socket is switched off (ie "our" live is interrupted) the neutral is still connected to the naughty bit, so the circuit is still live?

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
The best thing about having a Motorhome is that if you don't like the weather where you are, you can move. We are in Brittany at the moment, just spent a week down in the Vendee, weather was iffy, came back to Brittany and its glorious. But, generally, the south is warmer, although it can get too warm even in September. My sister lives near Carcassonne and complains about the heat!( 40+)
We only ever use aires, most we find are free or we might pay up 6 euros a night, any more than that and we look somewhere else. We have a couple of solar panels and 3 leisure batteries, so don't need hook ups, even in the dead of winter
Anyway, have a great time. We have to return to the U.K. In September, but will be back in Brittany for a few months from October, might even drive down to the med later in the year following the sun

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I tried following the link, but it is full of Americanisms like "hot", "phase" and "ground", I am more familiar with live, shared, and earth, however Googling around a bit and in light of your comments above, I think I get it.
I must confess, swapping Neutral and Earth did sound very dangerous, but what I gather now is that the "Neutral" is simply earthed at the power station, and the Live carries a voltage between -120 and +120.
Ignoring our "earth", I assume that reverse polarity means that the Neutral carries the live volage and the Live is earthed at the powerstation, so even if the socket is switched off (ie "our" live is interrupted) the neutral is still connected to the naughty bit, so the circuit is still live?
Er, sort of. :) Live alternates between plus or minus 240 volts and amazingly so does the neutral but you won't get a shock from the neutral wire as there is nowhere for the current to go unless you also happen to be holding the live wire at the same time because the current won't flow to earth.

All of which is a simplification. The voltage is 240 rms or root mean square, the peak voltage is over 300 from memory and there is normally a voltage difference between neutral and earth but it shouldn't be anything to worry about.

Reversed polarity on a campsite is a local problem due to poor wiring. The neutral wire is still earthed at source.

And the problem isn't so much sockets, which frequently aren't switched in MHs but in the protection system and devices with their own single pole on off switch such as a hairdrier.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back