Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
We've just got back from a weekend away in Poole and had the wind out awning out all weekend. It got a bit windy on Saturday night and this caused a very loud creaking sound:Eeek:
It all seemed ok the following day, no damage, but we were wondering how strong a wind out awning actually is?
Is it suitable to leave up like this whilst pitched up or should it be wound in each night?
What kinda weather can they withstand?

Also does anyone know if there is a drive away awning which can be used whilst having a wind out fixed to the MH? Or does this have to be removed to enable a drive-away to be fixed?

Thanks all:thumb:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hope you enjoyed your time in Poole, I am down here on my boat, nice and sunny.

If it is going to be windy, use Fiamma tie down kit on both ends of the awning just in case. £11 for two. If it is going to be very windy, wind the awning back in.

As to drive away awnings or stand alone or one you can it to the awning front rail, please give Darren, Jan or John a ring.

Peter

Link Removed

OP
OP
errpaul

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
Yeah we had a really good time thanks (Shame to have to come home):cry:

Maybe a difficult one to answer, but how windy would you say is windy, or very windy? I really have no idea how tough the wind out is. It survived more wind this weekend than I'd been happy to subject it to on previous weekends, but don't wanna find it broken

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
As a minimum our advice is WIND IT IN AT NIGHT !!!!!

We didnt and there was a reasonably high wind (not forecast either) that took the fiamma windout awning together with the metal legs that were well tent pegged in, out of the ground and right over our camper.

Our neighbours didnt appreciate the noise waking them up either.

It has been an extremely expensive lesson.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
As a minimum our advice is WIND IT IN AT NIGHT !!!!!
We didnt and there was a reasonably high wind (not forecast either) that took the fiamma windout awning together with the metal legs that were well tent pegged in, out of the ground and right over our camper.
Our neighbours didnt appreciate the noise waking them up either.
It has been an extremely expensive lesson.

Buy some tie down kits! although I agree with winding it in as well at night.

Peter

Tom 46

Free Member
Apr 19, 2009
Funster No
How about a compromise. Never underestimate the power of the wind, or the damage it can cause, so overnight (or when we leave the van for a few hours) we always wind the awning in until there's only about a foot left and peg it down in that position. No wind resistance to speak of, saves putting the legs up, and only takes a minute to fully extend again. Parking up with the door and awning on the leeside of any wind also helps and will help cut down on the amount of mud and wet grass that might get carried into the van. More than once the wife's had me out of bed in the early hours of the morning due to a 'flapping' awning, so if there's any doubt weatherwise that awning stays firmly locked away and out of harms way.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
My advice...

if it's flapping badly ..get it down.. I've seen too many over the roof .. and it can cause a lot of damage; brackets ripped out, panels dented, windows smashed etc. .. and never leave out when you go out for the day or overnight, that's asking for trouble.. when the wind gets under, it becomes a spinnaker.. :Eeek:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Slightly off thread but we try never to wind in the awning if it is wet, if we have to, we put it out again as soon as possible. The reason! we have found that mildew start on the material if its rolled up and wet.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
My advice...

if it's flapping badly ..get it down.. I've seen too many over the roof .. and it can cause a lot of damage; brackets ripped out, panels dented, windows smashed etc. .. and never leave out when you go out for the day or overnight, that's asking for trouble.. when the wind gets under, it becomes a spinnaker.. :Eeek:

I must admit I now no longer use an awning, I think the biggest reason for no longer useing one was on returning from a day out on quite a large site, was a scene of total destruction. There must have been about 40 awnings wind out and full awnings, on caravans and motorhomes compleatly wrecked, awnings torn to shreds, poles bent into wonderfull shapes. On talking to the wardens this was the result of a brief 10 min series of gusts of wind, they said they had never seen the like before.:Eeek::cry:
Even storm guys had been of little use. I was lucky I had taken the motorhome out hence the awning came to

That was on a day that had been very sunny with no wind to speak of except for that sudden happening

Dave

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back