help with an inspection near Milton Keynes (1 Viewer)

yorkist

Free Member
Jan 10, 2011
Altea-Benidorm
Funster No
MH
busy researching now
Exp
sadly none yet
I have,previously posted that I was interested in acquiring a 2010 Bessacarr E495 but then withdrew because I couldn't get to view in time as I am working all of February in Milton Keynes. Well, the seller had offered to drive the van down from Cumbria for me to inspect. I am also getting in touch with a company that serviced and did a habitation check on the van in November last year. Question. As I am inexperienced are there any experienced motorhomers near Milton Keynes who would be prepared to help me inspect the van at some point in the next week? It could be Sunday. Just that my wife cannot fly over and a second pair of eyes would be great. The seller is private and genuinely seems a decent guy.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
sadly I am not anywhere near MK but would of been happy to help. Why not get an independent caravan service engineer to inspect it for you, much like having another hab check. could be money well spent

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
I agree you should get an independent engineer to check it. It'll probably cost about £200 at most but it'll be money well spent AND you'll have someone to blame should things go wrong if they should have been spotted on the inspection

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
no not same guy looks nice though i have thr e745 regards steve

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Firstly I have to say, what a splendid van :)

Milton Keynes is not a million miles away for me, but sadly we have plans. I can give you a couple of things to check though, that may help.
First the obvious, check that the fridge works in all three modes, and on gas, that it stays lit.
They may have drained down the water, but you will want to check that the system works, so you may want to ask them to ensure that the water tank is full, including the toilet flush tank, which is in separate compartment.
When you hook these up, the water heater comes on automatically, unless isolated on the control panel which is in the first cupboard behind the driver. On mains, check the water heater light is red. If not, press the button. Make sure the water system is on and primed first though. The gas water controls are under the telly (the dial on the left). To turn it on flick the out ring clockwise, a green light should come on, red indicates a fault. The inner ring is the thermostat. Check that you get hot water from both taps.
In the shower room, look for any cracks or repairs. Pull the tap all the way out and inspect the hose. Check that the toilet flushes, blue button next to the seat. The skylight does have a small amount of ventilation, that is normal.
Check that the heating works both in gas and electric, for electric, the control is again under the telly (right dial), flick the outer ring to 2KW, and the inner ring to max. On the heater under the wardrobe, turn the right dial to max, and flick the switch to 'A' (automatic). The blower should gradually build up speed as the heat increases. Check you can feel hot air at all outlets. Now switch off the electric, turn the left dial on the heater around to about 4 or 5, it should start ticking (that is the ignitor) push the dial down, and hold for 5 secs, the heater should light. Under gas it will get warmer quicker, or at least it should.
That's it for the habitation, apart from checking all the fittings fit. Oh pull out the bed support in the rear, the slats are a bit weak and break easily, check they are all present. There should be a spare cushion in fill for the rear bed to make it fit all the way across. Usually stored in a cupboard, or in the overcab bed.
You do need to drive it, the gearbox can be a bit weak in this model, so first try to reverse up a slope, and make sure it doesn't judder. You can check that the camera works at this point.
With the engine warm, make sure you have a smooth gear change when coming down the box into third, they can grate on older vans if they have the wrong gearbox oil. Check that all electrics work, mirrors (all four) and windows. Check also that the mirrors locate firmly, they do take a bashing, and on some we drove, the mirrors folded in under the wind pressure at speed.
Final thing, pull down all the blinds, and make sure they aren't torn, on the habitation door, check that the restrainer at the top is attached correctly, you shouldn't be able to push it off. And outside, wind out the awning, the arms will interfere with the hab door if you wind it in with the door open, this bends the arms. The winder and slat should be just inside the hab door attached to the wall.

Hope this helps, if you go at a different time, let me know, I may be able to help.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Looks a nice van, looking at the pictures it may be worth checking to joint between the toilet and the sidewall and shower tray. The silicone looks a bit amateurish and overdone, so it would be worth checking the are those why if that is the case.

happypre65

Free Member
Nov 12, 2010
Funster No
Hi,The important thing is a damp meter,buy one and check it as it could be damp, and that will cause you a lot of money,all you do is put it on the walls and it will give you peace of mind,damp meters are cheap,and anyone can use it,regards H,(n)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back