help with a charger problem

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by ollygogs, Jan 2, 2014.

1. ollygogs

ollygogs Read Only Funster

hi im a newbie here and have a question i have a rv with a converter charger thats a magnetek 900 series rated at 40A . The problem i have is that its overcharging and id like to know can i swap it for a english version ive found a zinger 20A one thats local to me for right money would that cause a problem or anything many thanks for your help

2. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I would suggest posting on RVOC as they are more likely to be able to help.
    Your charger wouldn't be 110v by any chance, if it is and you are running it on 230v then it will certainly overcharge (or burn out completely)

3. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

with a bit of wiring you can change to a more modern converter/charger

4. ollygogs

it says on the cover 220vac 50hz 3.4 amps so i take it its not 110 v. How with a bit of wireing can i do this ??? i was thinking it was the regulator making it over charge?? many thanks guys only just found this forum tonight so still trying to fathom it out :shout:

5. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Charger rated current (40 amps?) does not determine the level of charge to the battery. What is important is the output voltage of the charger. The voltage measured across the battery terminals, with the charger switched on, should never exceed 14.2v. Is yours higher than this?

6. ollygogs

yes it was tested and after a few minutes shot up to 18.5 (was tested by a auto elect bod) he explained a lot to me about what it should do ie about 14.2 and how it worked but he didnt know much about rvs and motorhomes so help needed thanks