Help with a birthday list please! (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
Birthday coming up soon, what sort of useful things should I add to a list for a new motorhome. I assume it comes with no extra essentials!

First I'm thinking of a wheely type grey water disposal, I have googled them and they seem to come in 23L or 40L sizes . Whats the best size for a 7.5m MH, what should I be ordering?

Next thought, levelling ramps, any particular popular makes should I be looking at?

Now I'm out of ideas!! Anything really useful, 'must haves' would be appreciated.

From my boat, I have crockery pots, pans etc so this type of item not needed. Its anything you find particularly useful for your MH, anything from a pound shop to max out say around £100.

Suggestions greatly received!

Many thanks
Cliff

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
The one thing we would not be without....apart from the corkscrew is...external screens...keeps the heat off in summer ...and retains heat in winter(and reduces condensation).You may get a second hand set under £90 (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I wouldn't bother with the grey waste water thing. Generally you can drive to the disposal point and pull the handle on the tank drain. If it's not that type of disposal point we get as close as we can in the van and use a folding bucket.

The screens are a must have.

Mirror protectors?

A folding step..... we have two, one for outside the van as our step into the hab is a built in type, and the other is for getting to the top shelf of the lockers and also gets used outside when putting up the drive away awning.

Another idea - an awning (we have three, one is only used at village events as it is too short for the new van, then there is a drive-away and a much smaller overnight awning). The small awning was less than £100 from Sunn-Camp.

Small washing machine

Memory foam topper for the mattress

EDIT: Additional items:

(assuming you have EHU and hose pipe)

extra chargers for your phone and other electronics plus a 12v to USB adapter that you leave permanently in the van.

If you have a laptop a 12v power source for it

Tablet or Kindle if you like to read

Pack of cards and other games.

Some sort of device to allow you to connect to internet when on the move.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cliffdale
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
Just bought a memory foam topper for daughter at Uni, she thinks its wonderful. Its on the list but I think I will wait until the van arrives.

The screens are a good idea but I need help choosing. I have used Google but not sure what to buy. They range from around £40 to over £200.

I'll ask the dealer for some help on this.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Small whirlygig for washing .
Rubber backed door mat for the ground.
Comfortable outside chairs that you can fall asleep in the sunshine!!

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Just bought a memory foam topper for daughter at Uni, she thinks its wonderful. Its on the list but I think I will wait until the van arrives.

The screens are a good idea but I need help choosing. I have used Google but not sure what to buy. They range from around £40 to over £200.

I'll ask the dealer for some help on this.

Internal screens are much cheaper than the external ones. There are various brands available for both internal and external, lots of discussion on this site.

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
Screens
They are usually sold to fit the model of the base vehicle. eg Ducato, Ford? Mercedes etc. Many for sale on here in classifieds.(y)

Last edited:

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Some of the stuff from your boat may be rather heavy, so you may benefit from lightening that (e.g. crockery) as well as for the sake of a change.

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Crawley Down, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
As others have said, grey water disposal is not usually an issue. Ramps are a must. We wild camp where possible, so external screens are not recommended. The wind-out awning would be next for me.

I also wouldn't want to be without our tyrepal, which gives advance warning of over temperature and under pressure in all tyres - a great source of comfort when trundling down motorways at high speeds!

Other than that, reversing camera?

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
One of these things could be useful if you have electronic gadgets and plan to be off grid sometimes.

IMG_20160521_091929[1].jpg

I bought mine from Amazon last year some time for £38.99, comes with all relevant leads and plugs to charge phones, ipad etc. Also has clamps so you can (hopefully) start your van if it has a flat battery. I had to use it to start my mh - it worked.

Paul

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
One of these things could be useful if you have electronic gadgets and plan to be off grid sometimes.

View attachment 130187

I bought mine from Amazon last year some time for £38.99, comes with all relevant leads and plugs to charge phones, ipad etc. Also has clamps so you can (hopefully) start your van if it has a flat battery. I had to use it to start my mh - it worked. What is it called ?sounds really useful thanks .

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
is the one I bought @beacons. As you can see this particular one is no longer sold (only a used one apparently) but there are dozens of others listed on Amazon, and Ebay I expect.

If you want one that has any chance of starting a flat motorhome battery you need one with a high power output and it needs to be fully charged.

I used mine to start my car (1600cc petrol) which it managed no problem. When it came to a stone cold 2.3 litre diesel engine in the motorhome it had just enough power to turn the engine over for a couple of seconds but this was enough to get it fired up.

Paul

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Over the years we've bought all sorts of bits and bobs for our motorhome, but the one item I am over the moon with is our Quest pop-up screen house. Will cost over your £100 limit but totally worth it.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Has anyone mentioned a 2nd leisure battery. Unless you plan in using sites with EHU all the time. A must for winter or heavy elec users.

What about a 12v tv?

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Spend your money on fuel and camping fees. It sounds like you have spare cash to squander. You'll soon discover what you really need if you get out and use it. Try to avoid things that may come in useful, they only consume space and payload.

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
is the one I bought @beacons. As you can see this particular one is no longer sold (only a used one apparently) but there are dozens of others listed on Amazon, and Ebay I expect.

If you want one that has any chance of starting a flat motorhome battery you need one with a high power output and it needs to be fully charged.

I used mine to start my car (1600cc petrol) which it managed no problem. When it came to a stone cold 2.3 litre diesel engine in the motorhome it had just enough power to turn the engine over for a couple of seconds but this was enough to get it fired up.

Paul
Many thanks paul.

OP
OP
Cliffdale
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
Going back to screens, the mh comes with slide up internal screens, and I agree with rogher, get out there and see if they are needed.
Strangely, I like the idea of a watering can! cheap and sensible item to have on board.

I have on of those flat roll up hosepipes I think will be useful.

Ps No spare cash to squander!! The mh broke me!

Twogirls

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 300
Exp
Since 2014
Strong and durable collapsible bucket. Has multiple uses (haven't yet tried using it as a punch bowl but it could work) and folds completely flat.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Spend your money on fuel and camping fees. It sounds like you have spare cash to squander. You'll soon discover what you really need if you get out and use it. Try to avoid things that may come in useful, they only consume space and payload.

Best post so far, save me typing it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back