Help. What computer? (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Popped in to my inlaws on the way back from our travels and they want to know which laptop they should get to do emails, bit of surfing, word etc, some games ( solitaire types) and possible Skype . I must admit I keep thinking they would be better with a simple tablet but I will become the helpline over the next few months. Any suggestions?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Popped in to my inlaws on the way back from our travels and they want to know which laptop they should get to do emails, bit of surfing, word etc, some games ( solitaire types) and possible Skype . I must admit I keep thinking they would be better with a simple tablet but I will become the helpline over the next few months. Any suggestions?

couldn't possibly advise... don't want to become YOUR helpline.. :roflmto:

seriously.. buy them what you are happy helping with.. lots of very good cheap laptops around.. I'm not a big fan of tablets.. good when your out and about but for home use I prefer a PC .. that's just me.

a cheap lappy is a hundred times better than a cheap tablet

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have a 14" i5 laptop and a mini I pad, I am typing this from the I pad and use it most of the the time for browsing etc and rarely use the laptop even though it's in front of me.
Also my laptop has a cellular data card so I can browse anywhere without the need for a separate dongle.
The only drawback I find is the I pad needs the laptop to sync certain photos and music.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Don't get a tablet........get a laptop. go to somewhere like John lewis get a good free extended warranty. Don't pay more than ÂŁ400

barry

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I have two laptops but no tablet....yet! I like the look of this:

Comes in two sizes, 8" and 10", long battery life and very reasonable price. Bluetooth keyboards available as well.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Depends how techy they are or newcomers

Take em to computer shop

Let em try them out

Then try an apple shop

for me being non techy apple was for me

Microsoft seemed always to be a problem with updates

On opening and closing the Lappy and PC

And I understand windows 8 is a little difficult to navigate
If new to putering

Swopped to an apple I mac three years back
Just had the new operating system as a downloaded freeby
From apple so no complaints there

No inclination to think of a new puter since
Used to change it every year or so

Since then I have an I phone and pad 2

But to try an apple visit an apple shop

Evan if you get it from elsewhere

Like john lewis with two year warranty

I have tried to unbiased in my reply

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
My opinion is

For non techy people...anything from Apple...Ipad, macbook etc... Most expensive option but less problems, more reliability and good after sales service at apple store

A tiny bit techy...anything tablet or phone mainstream android ...google nexus, htc etc

Techy ....get an cheap laptop with windows on it and then install a linux distro such as ubuntu or mint et al.

I will never pay for anything microsoft ever again, its absolute rubbish and will be a constant pain.

regards Steve

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
My opinion is

For non techy people...anything from Apple...Ipad, macbook etc... Most expensive option but less problems, more reliability and good after sales service at apple store

A tiny bit techy...anything tablet or phone mainstream android ...google nexus, htc etc

Techy ....get an cheap laptop with windows on it and then install a linux distro such as ubuntu or mint et al.

I will never pay for anything microsoft ever again, its absolute rubbish and will be a constant pain.

regards Steve

I agree, I pad faultless for me no daily downloads of windows or anti virus , always works and boots far quicker than a laptop.:thumb:

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-

If that's all they want it for, and intend to limit their use to when they are at home, it's a no-brainer. It has to be a laptop. :thumb: Far more convenient and easier to use. Take them to PC World - if only to have a look before they decide.

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
It's simply not true to say that IOS (Apple) devices don't get infected, the Trojan backdoor flashback was a prime example.
You can pay possibly twice as much for an Apple device comparable with a Windows device, reliability is on a par. Sure you can get support from Apple stores but it's not free, it's built into the cost of the device.

My advice would be to buy the cheapest laptop from John Lewis. They all work fine these days (well almost all:roflmto:) and JL's support is better than most.
Edit: I love my Ipad but it's no substitute for a Windows machine IMHO.

Last edited:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I have a Macbook Pro and an iPad mini and use the iPad all the time. Its simple to use and just works.
My Dad, who is 90 has a 26" display on his PC that he uses all the time. He liked the look of my iPad but wouldn't pay the price, so bought a Huddle from Tesco and loves it. It is small, but it doesn't seem to bother him, he uses it more than his PC except for his photos.
On the other hand, Mrs A and my daughter both have Dell 10" tablets. Good as they are, they have persevered with them but now both prefer Apple products. Both tablets crash regularly, are tricky to navigate and to be honest we all think Window 8 is a nightmare to use.

There is a massive choice of techy stuff out there. You need to take them to somewhere like PC World and let them play with all the tablets and laptops.

Allan

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I wouldn't touch a new laptop with windows 8, it's a mess :Eeek:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I would say an iPad for what they intend to use it for.

So simple to use.

No messing about logging on no installing anti virus stuff.

I use nothing else now at home.

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
As others have said you should take them to the shop and get a feel for what will suit them best.

Although I've just treated myself to one of these :thumb:
Lenovo Thinkpad S230u Twist Ultrabook

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
As others have said you should take them to the shop and get a feel for what will suit them best.

Although I've just treated myself to one of these :thumb:
[HI]Lenovo Thinkpad S230u Twist Ultrabook
[/HI]

Had it a week and not taken it out of the box yet, just looked at it again and I bought this one not the one above:ROFLMAO: Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 13 2191 - 13.3" - Core i7 3537U - Windows 8 64-bit - 4 GB RAM - 128 GB SSD

OP
OP
gordoncbrown
Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks for all the replies. Gave them the choice all the way. They have gone for a laptop. I have just been setting it up for them and windows 8 is a nightmare.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thanks for all the replies. Gave them the choice all the way. They have gone for a laptop. I have just been setting it up for them and [HI]windows 8 is a nightmare[/HI].

That's what most say who have been used to W7.. and from my limited experience of 8 on my friends lappy there is absolutely no way ever going to have it..
I'd rather spend the extra for W7 .. I believe you have downgrade rights if you buy W8 professional.

However.. All is not lost .. have a read here , it may be of help ..

Top Ten: Making Windows 8.1 Work Like Windows 7

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back