Help wet soggy wood

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Naughty Nigel, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Naughty Nigel

Naughty Nigel Deleted User

Hi folks after a slight altercation with a gate post and the door on my loo cassette compartment I had to re seal the compartment door. On removing same we noticed the lower framing of the a piece of what I take to be 2x1 timber very wet and soggy along a couple of inches of its length . On closer inspection it appeared to be caused by liquid from the flushing tank, so I am presuming that my loo seal has gone . To my question whilst in my local hardware sop I saw a tin of wet rot treatment fluid which says it hardens the wood, has anyone tried this or can they offer any suggestions . Cheers all Nigel

2. Pronto

Pronto Read Only Funster

Sorry to hear of your trouble Nigel, I haven't tried it myself - but I would suggest you fix it pretty quickly. I had a similar problem with a caravan a few years ago and it spread quickly resulting in a large bill:cry:

3. roverman1

roverman1 Read Only Funster

hi . i had the same problem just last week i did the same as you did . i dug out all the wet wood and filled it with no nails then when that dried i siliconed the rest of the area iam hoping its worked . door and frame cost me £ 74
    it was an expensieve knock:Blush:

4. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Don't bodge it, cut out the affected wood back to sound wood Glue/screw to good wood then seal the floor joint so you cannot have a repetition. Rot left in will spread like wildfire. Tough luck. but at least you found the cause of the problem. (I hope)

5. Naughty Nigel

Naughty Nigel Deleted User

wet wood

thank you gentlemen for your replies and yes we are glad we found it, to get at the wood we may have to remove the outer skin (hope not). Fortunately both me and my nephew are pretty handy is there anything we should look out for along the way?
    Thanks Nigel

6. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

more rot, hee hee

7. lugnutt

lugnutt Funster Life Member

8. American Dream

American Dream Read Only Funster

Best thing is to cut out and replace I'm afraid.Glad you've found the source of the leak.:thumb:

9. strathspey

strathspey Read Only Funster

To my question whilst in my local hardware sop I saw a tin of wet rot treatment fluid which says it hardens the wood, has anyone tried this or can they offer any suggestions . Cheers all Nigel

The product I think you saw in the DIY store was 'Nitromors Wood hardener'
    I have used it on several occasions on very wet wood and it turns it rock-hard within 24 hours. It can then be painted, drilled etc.
    In the situation you describe, I would certainly use it.
    Good luck.