Help - Water Entering Side Vents! (1 Viewer)

greggzy001

Free Member
Sep 17, 2011
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
Since 2011
Help - I'm a newbie MH owner and just noticed today that we have a bit of water causing damp behind the kitchenette in our '95 Kontiki. I've had a good look and the damp/wet area appears to start just below the external vents behind both the cooker and fridge and progresses downwards. The external vents themselves are fitted the correct way round, ie with the 'slats' pointing downward, but being in Aberdeen we sometimes get 'Sideways rain' ::bigsmile: which I think is getting into the vents :Sad:. I guess I'm asking if there are any covers that can be placed or fixed over the vents (Not to block them off) but that will allow the rain to run 'over and off' the vent instead of into it........I've had a trawl through the web but can't find anything. In the meantime I've taped over the vents to stop any more water ingress and I will remove this when I take the MH out again. Vent photo attached. Thanks in advance -

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
its worth checking the mastic seal btween the vents and sidewall to make sure it isn't entering there. it could be coming in at the top and wicking down the sides to the bottom.

you may be getting some rain in the vent but i doubt it would be enough to cause prolonged damp patch's.

i had a kitchen window do exactly the same, water 'puddling' on the inner window frame and the seal was leaking at the top.

OP
OP
greggzy001

greggzy001

Free Member
Sep 17, 2011
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks for this info PappaJohn, I'll have a look tomorrow but to be sure, I'll unscrew both vents, re-seal and screw back....I'll check the window also.
Thanks again....Gregg:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
A bit obvious I know but =

When you wash the MH down do you use a hose ?

Just thought if you do don`t aim the jet directly at the vent...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back