Help - water coming straight out when filling

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by TheWM, Nov 26, 2015.

1. TheWM

TheWM Read Only Funster

Hi guys,

Trying to get ready for the Scotland trip. Filling up with water and it's coming straight back out from a place I have never seen it come from (I have closed the valves etc...) it is a pipe directly below the water tank - help please??! It's a rapido a class 9010df and here is a pic. I think I can hear something whirring too..? Could it be a boiler valve type thing? image.jpeg

2. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

Have you got and Auto boiler dump valve? This -as far as I am aware, needs resetting manually if it has opened due to cold weather. Whirring noise - poss water pump on?

3. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

It is the boiler drain off..
    If it is cold where you are the chances are the automatic dump valve has opened.
    They are very handy but can be a pain in the parts..
    I ended up having to hold mine shut with a peg !

It is a thing with a wee bobbing top on it and you have to pull the bobbin handle UP to close the thing

• Like Like x 1
  4. TheWM

TheWM Read Only Funster

Closer inspection shows that it is this cylinder type thing on the left of the pic that is whirring and getting warm. Where do I find the wee bobbin thing?! image.jpeg

5. Jim

Jim Ringleader

You'll find this dump valve above your boiler, they are normally red. Just lift it up and ensure in clicks and stays up.

6. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

Cylinder thing could be the water pump. It is getting hot as there is no water in the system. Check all taps are off or switch off pump supply.

7. Jim

Jim Ringleader

8. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

Just a point to note. Should the red lever be in line with the pipe as per the arrow on it. Unsure of your system, but it would seem that this is a valve and should be in line for flow?

• Like Like x 2
  9. TheWM

TheWM Read Only Funster

Thanks Jim. Another emergency @work means I can't until later :( @Zigisla to be honest when I heard the water running I just assumed that the missus had left the valves open after we emptied last tin and just turned them until I could hear the water stop. But it didn't. Here's a pic of the boiler I know I'm being thick but it isn't immediately obvious to me where the dump valve is..? Thanks for your help guys :)

image.jpeg

10. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

The blue bit to the right centre of the picture, pull it up

• Like Like x 2
  11. TheWM

TheWM Read Only Funster

Cheers Eddie. And it would appear place a peg under it to stop closing as its gonna be cold in Scotland..!!!

12. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Eddie has the right bit but wrong action, you need to turn the blue know on the top at the same time as pushing the button in at the bottom right, but in your photo it is in the closed position so it's not that.
    The red hot water T piece at the top has a valve in that allows air out when the boiler is filled this often sticks open and drains the boiler and water system a common fault on the older 6002 heaters.

13. eddievanbitz

Well you wouldn't be the first person in the world to do that, obviously as a trained professional I could never suggest it, in case you forget!

However, we have the same system on the Van Bitz exhibition unit and it is by passed :lipssealed:

It will dump the water when it gets to a certain temperature or, when the voltage is low, inconvenient when the water dumps all over the NEC lol

• Like Like x 3
  14. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

Hope you get it fixed.
    Not that cold up here now. Glasgow 9.5c today

15. TheWM

TheWM Read Only Funster

@eddievanbitz @lennyhb thanks guys although there appears to be some confusion at what needs to happen? I'll try with the pulling the blue knob up first as that's something that even I can do...! I'll report back around 3pm.

16. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

Defo dont need to "Pull" this type. See link above post #6 that is your type.

17. TheWM

TheWM Read Only Funster

Now I am really confused and/or stupid. As @lennyhb has suggested the valve may not be in the closed position. I'll have a look to see if the reset button has been depressed?

18. eddievanbitz

Sorry my mistake, now I have looked at the picture on a PC not my phone lol " Lifted from the instructions:-

A. FrostControl

(Safety/drain valve with integral frost protection / optional in UK version)

FrostControl is a currentless safety/drain valve. When there is a danger of frost, it automatically drains the contents of the boiler through a drainage socket. If excessive pressure is present in the system, pressure will be automatically intermittently equalized through the pressure relief valve.

a b c d

Figure 3

a = rotary switch position "On"

b = pushbutton position "Closed"

c = pushbutton position "Drain"

d = drainage socket (led outside through floor of vehicle)

Opening the safety/drain valve

1. Turn the rotary switch by 180° until it engages, whereby the pushbutton pops out (position c). The water from the boiler drains through the drainage socket (d).
    The FrostControl drainage socket (d) must be free of contamination (slush, ice, leaves, etc.) at all times so the water can drain out easily! No claims may be made under the warranty for damage caused by frost.

Closing the safety/drain valve

1. Check whether the rotary switch is set to "On" (position a), i.e. parallel to the water connection and engaged.
    1. Close the safety/drain valve by pressing the pushbutton. The pushbutton must engage in position (b) "closed".
    Only when the temperature at the safety/drain valve is above approx. 7 °C can it be closed manually with the pushbutton (position b) and the boiler filled.

Truma supplies a heating element (part no. 70070-01) as an accessory, which is inserted into the FrostControl and fixed in place with a retaining bracket. This heating element heats the FrostControl to approx. 10 °C when the Combi is switched on.This means that the boiler can be filled sooner, irrespective of the temperature in the installation compartment.

Automatic opening of the safety/drain valve

If the temperature at the safety/drain valve is below about 3 °C, it will open automatically and the pushbutton pops out (position c). The water from the boiler drains through the drainage socket (d).

B. Safety/drain valve

(Safety/drain valve without frost protection / standard in UK version)

The safety/drain valve automatically equalises the pressure in the event of overpressure in the system. When this occurs, the water is drained to the outside in intermittent bursts via a drainage socket.

This safety/drain valve does not protect the water container

19. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

Ours has the same drain tap as that. there is a small button on the back/side which has to be bushed in until it clicks into place. Be aware that it will not lock in if it is below about 7 degrees. I have trouble getting it to lock in in the past because the temperature of the water in the mains is below 7.
    Experience tells me it is easier to lock it in with the system empty, then put the heating on low before filling.

20. TheWM

TheWM Read Only Funster

Ok. Looked at the valve and the button was NOT in. I did press it and spin it and just sounded like a lot of water was being pushed through. I have left in in the position shown below. Still a whirring sound. What's next? Cleaning the red hot water t piece?

image.jpeg