Help wanted with Huawei 5372

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Riverbankannie, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie Funster

Hi guys
    Struggling a bit with my new toy. Hoping that @namwaldog is around or anyone else who can help.
    I have charged the device and inserted a 3 prepaid data sim. My iPad recognises the device and I have connected using the password printed on the device label. I now wish to change the password. I connected the iPad to the device on the 3 network and went to http://192.168.8.1. However safari says server cannot be found.
    I have tried to connect my laptop (Windows) to the device but it does not come up as a network when I try to set up a new network or connection.
    What is the best way to access the web management page?
    My second question is, how do I set the device to use home wifi instead of 3? It seems to be an option according to a manual I found online. Would that be through the web management page as well?
    Do I need to set up an account with My3

I have tried ringing Huawei support but all I get is a promise to ring back when someone free - I have rung 3 times in 24 hours but no call back.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Camdoon

Camdoon Funster Life Member

Download the Huawei app from the Apple app store onto your iPad which will allow you to manage the device.
    While not an expert on that model and without looking it up, it would be unusual if it connected to your home network.
    You do not need an account with My3 if you have bought a 12Gb 1yr SIM. Just buy another when that SIM runs out as it is cheaper to replace than buy more credit.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. namwaldog

namwaldog Funster

Hiya Annie,
    When I connected my 5372 to my Windows PC, there was a file on it that allowed you to install a software programme onto the PC.
    When installed, it was a bit like the Huawei app mentioned above that allows you to alter the settings.
    Not at home a present but I will have a look when I get back.

4. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

The MiFi device contains 3MobileWiFi software which runs on Windows and allows changing of passwords. I don't know if it is available for iPad.
    You could try connecting the MiFi to your laptop using a USB cable. I've known that be necessary for other people in the past.

Your iPad should show both your home network and the MiFi network when you search for networks (it does on Jill's Samsung tablet).

5. namwaldog

namwaldog Funster

Perhaps worth mentioning that I think you have to connect through the mifi in order to make changes.

6. The Wino

The Wino Funster

If it works as it came out of the box I would leave it if you set a new password it will still get nicked before they realise it won't work and the sims are worth very little

• Like Like x 1
  7. chaser

chaser Funster

Don't see why you would want it to connect to your home wifi as your device will connect to it without the mifi.

8. Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie Funster

Thanks to everyone who replied

Thanks, This app is great, asked me to change password as first thing to to. Now no longer admin.

Thanks, Have installed the file which is 3MobileWifi. However not sure if password change is for sim or device. Having now got the app on iPad it seems the easiest to use as I won't ever be using the Mifi device with laptop.

Thanks, got both working now as above

Thanks, I was more concerned about changing the Mifi password than the sim.

Thanks, you are correct, I don't need to connect it to home wifi, just going through the little manual trying to see how it all worked.

• Like Like x 1
  9. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I know you have sorted it but it might help if you get into problems in the future to understand how this all works.

The MiFi generates a local wifi network, in a sense it is exactly like the Internet itself - only a lot smaller. :)

The address 192.168.8.1 is the home address of the device. If you enter this into the address bar of a browser (safari in your case) it should open up a web page. No special software is required to view the page, it is just like viewing a page of Fun - though with fewer jokes.

That you couldn't access this page is odd. Worth trying again but making sure to enter the number exactly, with no spaces after the dots and no http at the start though the browser will probably add that.

If it doesn't work it is possible your device has been modified and I wonder what it's history is? Is it say ex-Vodaphone for example?

Of course the app is great and that's what I use to access my huawei MiFi but it is useful to know how to do it the old fashioned way. :)

You should be able to connect your laptop the same way. Get it to scan for wireless networks then log in with your password.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

It's also worth mentioning that if you log onto a weak wifi signal using the wifi extender function, your mifi won't use the Three 3G signal irrespective of how weak the wifi is.
    If this happens you need to turn off wifi extender.
    Now you've downloaded the app you can do this easily, do long as you're chosen the mifi as your wifi option.

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie Funster

Thanks @DBK , the device came from same source as that @namwaldog purchased. Advertised as a manufacturer refurbished item. Obviously not brand new direct from Huawei as box had been opened. It had an incorrect starter guide in the box.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Leftlegger

Leftlegger Funster

The gateway address of the mi Fi should be 192.168.1.1 not 192.168.8.1 .therefore to access the Web page of the miFi use the gateway address. (y)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie Funster

This is a copy and paste from the manual.......

Logging In to the Web Management Page

1. Make sure the connection between the Mobile WiFi and the Wi-Fi device or computer is working normally.

2. Open the browser, and enter http://192.168.8.1 in the address box.

14. Leftlegger

Leftlegger Funster

yes it is and I stand corrected but if you,re having a problem try the standard Huawei ad 192.1681.1 ,I have a Huawei mifi using that address.

• Like Like x 1
  15. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Can you see anything on the screen which shows what address it is using? I've just had a quick look at the 5372 instruction manual and it says if something else on the network is already using 192.168.8.1 it will find another address - but this should be visible on the LCD screen.

16. Robert Clark

Why not download the app instead. Saves having to fiddle around typing ip addresses

17. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I believe it is working with the app - it's just an intellectual problem now why the IP address won't work. :)

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. Robert Clark

I've never understood those

• Like Like x 1
  19. Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie Funster

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    I have now tried the 192.168.1.1 url and that does work, but the one the manual says to use doesn't. Good job there are always funsters around to help!

I have looked on the screen, there is a picture above. I have also pressed the menu button (top picture) but now I cannot see how to move around the menu. Pressing the on/off button just takes me back to the home screen.

I have downloaded the app thanks to earlier posts in the thread and now that is my preferred option.

• Like Like x 1
  20. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Glad you've got it sorted. :)