Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Hi

LESLEY .. HI.. yes that tells me I am not on hook up and am on 12v.

Getting really confused now.

Looked under seats and everywhere for a switch. These lights show 2 red and 2 green .. is that ok?

XView attachment 130399
From the handbook for your Solar Controller. http://www.gadgetpower.co.uk/12V_24V_10A_charge_controller_CMP12.pdf it would certainly appear as though your battery is in fact in a state of "low" charge. Check the red led again after stopping.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: GJH

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Joy, any food that needs to be kept cool can stay outside can in plastic box.
Tins for anything else.
Was on this position for a few weeks last year.......
20150606_130428.jpg

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Did you check the 50 amp fuse to the left in your photo? ???

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Joy - you said you have turned the engine on but not in another post you said you hadn't started it. The fridge won't work on 12v if the engine isn't running. It will also charge your battery if it's flat.

Can you hear it clicking when you try it on gas?

Joe

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi @
Only Sue .. yep I tried the 50a fuse .. it was good.

@denisejoe I had started the engine but couldn't try on hook up..

@buttons the heater won't work withiut 12v either.

Thanks all for your help. I found the cut off switch .. whey hey but there was another mech prob came up. Collected van from garage and all sorted ... hopefully.

Can I ask .. sorry if daft question .. WHY would I switch the 12v off .. what benefit is there? Plus if I do then does the solar panel still send power to the 12v leisure batteries and they send to engine batteries?

Thank you.

PS the fuses were all ok .. . . .

:)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi @
Only Sue .. yep I tried the 50a fuse .. it was good.

@denisejoe I had started the engine but couldn't try on hook up..

@buttons the heater won't work withiut 12v either.

Thanks all for your help. I found the cut off switch .. whey hey but there was another mech prob came up. Collected van from garage and all sorted ... hopefully.

Can I ask .. sorry if daft question .. WHY would I switch the 12v off .. what benefit is there? Plus if I do then does the solar panel still send power to the 12v leisure batteries and they send to engine batteries?

Thank you.

PS the fuses were all ok .. . . .

:)
Pity about the extra problem, Joy, but glad you got it sorted. As a matter of interest, where was the master switch located?

With the 12v supply switched off it isn't possible to inadvertently switch something on and drain the battery. I recall a couple of cases where something has fallen on a tap and turned it on, resulting in a flooded van because the plug was in the sink :)

Even with the switch off, the solar panel will still charge the batteries as normal.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
@movan
What was problem with van to call recovery? Are you still heading to new forest?

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
.... if you can't fix it with a hammer, you need a bigger hammer..

If the bigger hammer doesn't work, you should have used gaffer tape as the first option. Even if this does not work, It has the advantage of keeping many of the small pieces you create when you hit it with the hammer contained, saving you brushing it up.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Glad to hear your sorted Joy. I wouldn't have liked the thought of you being parked up in some lay-bys with no lights..

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Usually switching off at the master switch will not affect the solar panel delivery as most are wired from the panels to the controller to the battery.. A completely separate circuit to the main one :)

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
@movan
What was problem with van to call recovery? Are you still heading to new forest?
Hi love .. no only picked van up at around 5pm so would have not got to new forest in time .. as had to leave Sunday and at that time it had been said be off by noon:( .

Right the engine .. I got as far as Cheshire and there was a load of pinging and a sort of tsh tsh tsh noise from engine .. It was really loud and I didn't want to go any further .. six and half hour journey seemed risky. Called a garage who used to do my car but he bought Hymer now .. he came straight away .. showed me cut off switch but said needed van back at garage. His friend gave me lift home so Ade cud listen to sound... it was too late to sort and he booked up following day till late ...BUT apparently it all sorted no time at all .. tsh tsh tsh was loose wiring and the ping ping ping was a piece of wire brought into engine by ........... rats or mice... they been building nest in engine and started chewing wires and the fuzzy stuff in engine lining!

My van parked 6ft from forest which is a Woodland burial site.. I have had lot of probs in past but hoped it sorted .. it might be as they had NOT come inside mh this year so the smelly stuff seems to be working.

Sorry this long thread but thought it might help others if something goes wrong to look for chewed wires. . . Also put the tumble drier sheets etc .. near the engine openings .. I have put air freshener stuff on ground under engine now to see if it helps ..farmer is supposed to be putting poison down.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Glad you got it all sorted and your back on the road

Reactions: GJH
OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Pity about the extra problem, Joy, but glad you got it sorted. As a matter of interest, where was the master switch located?

With the 12v supply switched off it isn't possible to inadvertently switch something on and drain the battery. I recall a couple of cases where something has fallen on a tap and turned it on, resulting in a flooded van because the plug was in the sink :)

Even with the switch off, the solar panel will still charge the batteries as normal.

Hi Graham ... if you look at the photo of the panel .. there is a tiny BLUE knob ... that is it. I was told when collected van from supplier Under no circumstances touch that knob.... it is for when work required on 'can't remember name but the thing that controls leisure sending xcess chrge to engine battery'.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hi love .. no only picked van up at around 5pm so would have not got to new forest in time .. as had to leave Sunday and at that time it had been said be off by noon:( .

Right the engine .. I got as far as Cheshire and there was a load of pinging and a sort of tsh tsh tsh noise from engine .. It was really loud and I didn't want to go any further .. six and half hour journey seemed risky. Called a garage who used to do my car but he bought Hymer now .. he came straight away .. showed me cut off switch but said needed van back at garage. His friend gave me lift home so Ade cud listen to sound... it was too late to sort and he booked up following day till late ...BUT apparently it all sorted no time at all .. tsh tsh tsh was loose wiring and the ping ping ping was a piece of wire brought into engine by ........... rats or mice... they been building nest in engine and started chewing wires and the fuzzy stuff in engine lining!

My van parked 6ft from forest which is a Woodland burial site.. I have had lot of probs in past but hoped it sorted .. it might be as they had NOT come inside mh this year so the smelly stuff seems to be working.

Sorry this long thread but thought it might help others if something goes wrong to look for chewed wires. . . Also put the tumble drier sheets etc .. near the engine openings .. I have put air freshener stuff on ground under engine now to see if it helps ..farmer is supposed to be putting poison down.

Sounds like you need to put a lot of the smelly stuff under the bonnet too Joy !!!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I recall a couple of cases where something has fallen on a tap and turned it on, resulting in a flooded van because the plug was in the sink :).

BTDTGTTS

Coming back from Malvern. Brush in shower hit shower tap, contents of a half full tank greeted us when we got home. We had the only Burstner with a water feature when we got out. Soon dried up.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back