Help / Suggestions Please (1 Viewer)

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
We recently bought a new Carthago Chic C-Line I50; lovely. Unfortunately I have discovered a conundrum.

I had a problem with the full to 20% fresh water drain down which Southdowns have fixed. Today I filled the water tank watching the level and re- checked the drain down to 20% and the operation of the taps, shower and toilet; all worked well and I decide to fill the tank fully. As expected there was no visible leaks and I watched the electronic gauge get to 100%. I then left it filling expecting to see the tank begin to overflow underneath the van. I waited and waited but my drive remained dry; no water showed :(. The tank gauge kept showing 100% and visibly the semi-opaque tank was full but the water kept flowing in and I have no idea where the excess it was going. Can any of you good people throw any light on this mystery? I am concerned that it is filling up the underfloor but I can see no evidence of this.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Twin tanks?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It's not going into your grey tank is it.

Martin

No forget that, it's a stupid idea. I hope.

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
The fresh water overflow on my Frankia takes ages to run after the gauge shows full and the water level in the white tank is right to the top. Don't forget the overflow pipe almost certainly rises a fair bit before it goes down and outside.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Gauge telling porky Pies.... :nod:

Lee Fryer

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Eastleigh
Funster No
MH
Coach built CI Carioca 15
Exp
Since June 2012
You don't have a auto stop so you can connect to a permanent supply, as surely it would overflow from the filling point.
Lee

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We always went by the 100% level guage but missed it one day and it overflowed out the bottom. Two days later checked level on guage and it still showed 100%. So plenty of room above the 100% shown on guage. There must be an overflow so just keep going.

Joe

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
@Dorset Diver, presuming you have a second generation (2015/16) Chic you have an upgraded double water tank.
The earlier models had a single tank but on the newer ones they fitted a second tank above it, in the space where there used to be a third drawer under the bed.
We have the same issue as you in that the tank shows it is full but that is the original (lower) tank only. The water continues to fill the upper tank until it overflows from the filler, unless you keep listening for it to start gurgling up the filler pipe.
Carthago don't seem to have modified the tank gauges to take account of the second tank.
We also find that when the upper tank empties the gauge shows that both tanks are empty and the red warning light comes on on the control panel despite the lower (larger) tank being full.
Ours is going to the dealer next week to have a few issues, including those, sorted plus its first annual service.

Richard.

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Would Southdowns be able to answer your query?

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
@Clarky. Thanks for your suggestion. Now I am really intrigued. If I have a tank above the one I can see below the third drawer space into which I can see the water running how on earth does the water get to the upper tank? Unless the world has changed water does not run up hill :unsure:. A branched filler pipe perhaps? Also the filler cap does not appear to be high enough up the side of the van but I will check this. Please let me know how you get on with the the dealer fixing yours.

PS mine is certainly a 2015/16, a bit like your avatar - shark tooth grill :smiley:.

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Must admit I haven't checked the height of the filler in relation to the tanks (but I will later today) but when the second tank starts to fill there are a lot of gurgling and 'swooshing' sounds.
I sounds as if the water is pushing up from the lower tank to fill the upper one.
The good thing is that you can carry a good supply of fresh water to see you through a few days without having to find a top up.

Richard.

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Hello Richard. Just checked and yes there it is as large as life and empty(ish). I am about to continue filling and I will just wait and see what happens. I guess that between them they must contain about 160 Litres. I will post again when I have news. As a matter of interest who supplied you van?

BR

Roger

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Total water capacity is 170 litres. The upper tank is much smaller than the original (lower) tank so fills quickly. It will just overflow through the filler when full.
Does the red warning light on the control panel come on with just the lower tank full as ours does?
We get the green 'OK' light on only when the top tank has water in it.

We purchased our van from Go European in Staffordshire.

Richard.

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
@Clarky. Got it sorted but...

As I said I found the top tank. I then fill until the water overflowed from the inlet. Unfortunately I then found that the inspection cover in the top of the top tank was not tight so water started to flood out under the bed. Quickly drained some off and then spent ages trying to remove the drawer above to gain good access to the tank; it's dead easy when you know how! Mopped up and tightened the cover, refilled and checked for leaks. None present. I have yet to find out about the warning lights and gauge. Next job launch a missile at Southdowns Motorhomes Service Centre :madder:.

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
After I wrote my last post I thought I should have mentioned the importance of making sure the caps on the tanks were tight, then thought that the dealer must have checked them during the PDI. Doh!
The last thing you want is water flooding under the floor so give them a hell of a rocket.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back