Free Member
Sep 3, 2009
cheltenham, glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
may 2009
Iam thinking of getting a solar panel to keep leisure battery charged up whilst wild camping
for the odd night. What would the minimum power be required? also am I right in thinking
you can connect to battery terminals using croc clips.
any comments/advice would be very welcome.thanks Samany

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Don't forget you should really have a charge controller/regulator too...

You could use clips (are you planning to have a "free standing" panel...)

As for size/wattage... bigger the better IMO

JJ

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It all depends how much power you use and what your battery capacity is in the first place. We also have an Explorer Group van but different layout and slightly smaller than yours (I think from the photo).

Since we replaced the tungsten filament bulbs in the eyeball spotlights and the G4 in the wash room with LEDs we use a fraction of the power for lighting. We don't use TV/Satellite off EHU very much but we have units with low power consumption. Apart from that we only use the water pump and recharge things like laptop and phone batteries.

We've had a 50W free-standing solar panel for several years but managed several days between driving on a number of occasions before we had it (and in the days before LEDs). Last month we spent 12 days off hookup, spread over 3 locations, with the panel pushing in juice more or less all day every day.

If you're wild camping you will most likely want a fixed panel, not a free-standing one, so probably 80W minimum. Before buying, though, work out roughly how much power you will actually use (and, thus, have to replace).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
samany

samany

Free Member
Sep 3, 2009
cheltenham, glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
may 2009
Hi JJ , yes I 've seen a free standing one which is 4 watt about £20 ,any good? er what is aregulator?, and yes Iam totally clueless. thought I'd ask here before I went to Maplins to be bamboozled.

OP
OP
samany

samany

Free Member
Sep 3, 2009
cheltenham, glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
may 2009
Hi Graham, Ilike the led idea is it easy to change and where would I get them from.
samany

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Hi JJ , yes I 've seen a free standing one which is 4 watt about £20 ,any good? er what is aregulator?, and yes Iam totally clueless. thought I'd ask here before I went to Maplins to be bamboozled.

I am afraid to say that a 4 Watt solar panel is next to useless for providing electricity to use in a motorhome... All it might do is prevent your battery from "sulphating" if left standing for a long time (over winter).

If fixed to the roof I guess an 85/90 watt one is the least you could do with for practical purposes... when buying a panel they will also sell you a charge controller which will stop the panel from overcharging your battery on sunny days (here'e hoping) and keeping the voltage from the panel(s) within the limits...

JJ

OP
OP
samany

samany

Free Member
Sep 3, 2009
cheltenham, glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
may 2009
Thanks JJ, wishful thinking on my part[£20] i now know Iwill have to spend closer to £200,
and I am a tad closer to understanding how things work, not exactly there yet but learning.
many thanks, samany:thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi Graham, Ilike the led idea is it easy to change and where would I get them from.
samany

We bought our LEDs from Link Removed. Just a matter of removing the existing bulb and plugging in the new one.

It costs a bit but we thought it worth it for the power saving. There are bulbs available cheaper on eBay but I wasted money on ones that didn't fit so was quite happy to go to Aten.

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Go to Maplins, and look for the Briefcase 80 watt solar panel - £60 if I remember correctly - I have one and it is very good. Includes controller.

:thumb::thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Most free standing panels come with the controllers etc. already fitted but one thing to watch out for is the method of attachment to the battery.

Ours is a Carasolar from Solar Solutions - see Link Removed. The cable is a decent length and in two parts which join with a standard S plug & socket (as can be seen in the photo). That means that the "free" part can be permanently connected to the battery - especially useful if getting to the battery would be fiddly.

Some other panels have a similar arrangement but with a much less substantial plug & socket and shorter cable, making use less convenient.

OP
OP
samany

samany

Free Member
Sep 3, 2009
cheltenham, glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
may 2009
Hi Graham, me again I've looked at Aten problem for me is they list bulb no's G4, MR11 etc
how do I know which bulbs I will need I rang Explorer they couldn't help, can you please?
Ihave taken one of spot bulbs out just tells me 12v 15w.
cheers ,Samany

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
was that a typo, did you mean 8 watt ?

80watt panel from maplin is £450

see all herehttp://www.maplin.co.uk/search?criteria=solar+panel

Thsi is the one to which I was referring - Link Removed

Sorry - 80 watts is the output from the battery charging socket, which is different from the battery charging outlet - if you see what I mean.

From the spec sheet: Solar panel output - 80 watt @ 17.5V
Max DC output - 4A
Output to solar charger for 12V batteries - 13W

Hope this helps, and sorry if I've confused anyone - mostly myself actually...:Blush:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi Graham, me again I've looked at Aten problem for me is they list bulb no's G4, MR11 etc
how do I know which bulbs I will need I rang Explorer they couldn't help, can you please?
Ihave taken one of spot bulbs out just tells me 12v 15w.
cheers ,Samany

The bulbs we bought for the Eyeball spotlights (as in the attached photo) have a reference on the box of "LED HP MR11 4Smt Cool White 8-30VDC BA15S". The closest I can see on the Aten web site is Link Removed. The difference seems to be that the bulbs we bought have 4 LEDs and the ones on the web site have 6 LEDs.

The fitting in the washroom (and in the Luton) takes G4 bulbs like Link Removed. We bought a G4 with side fitting like Link Removed. Can't remember how many LEDs it has in it. We only replaced the one in the washroom as we only use the Luton for storage.

We also have two Crown fittings (similar to Link Removed) and a strip light which are all fluorescents. We didn't replace them as the whole fitting has to be replaced, we don't use them very often and the power usage is less than halogen/tungsten anyway.

All LEDs come in warm white or cool white (and some in other colours) and which you choose is a matter of personal preference. Aten (and competitors) normally have stands at shows where you can see the difference so if you're going to a show you might liek to wait to buy there.

Attachments

• eyeball.jpg
    eyeball.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 7

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread