Free Member
Aug 19, 2016
Kidderminster
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie - thinking!
Hi & many thanks for letting me ramble on.
I am a very very newby & just considering my first motor home. I am 50 & mom is 80 & we like to holiday together. As mom gets older & more disabled ,(blue badge holder) a van conversion sounds a much better idea for both of us. She gets a traveling pad to change the view & an accessible loo & I get to know she's happy & safe while I go & burn off some energy on a run. We visit Dartmouth & Looe (Hannafore) a lot & we are allowed by Dartmouth council to leave the car on the front (with BB showing) for days at a time- no restrictions. If I was to spend such a lot of money on a motorhome, (6Meters) would there be a problem parking where we normally park the car? Does it make a difference if it's a van or a car? - I didn't think so when I started my search, but now getting worried that once we have found our perfect van that I won't be able to have the freedom to park where we do now. I have never needed to park on yellow lines & don't intend to abuse the blue badge, but don't want to make a big mistake . Is there any black & white rules?...
Also is there any ladies that travel alone? It can't be too difficult to empty a cassette loo or change a gas bottle can it???...or are there lots of things that go wrong..that I will constantly need help to fix?
We were thinking of hiring a van conversion for a week.. but van conversions are £900 a week!... Hells teeth...that's a lot..

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Xxx

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks Kate, thats great info, I am looking for a 6m van conversion as I think they are less noticeable & obtrusive compared to a coach-built. Just trying to get the right layout now. Do you drive it? Never driven anything bigger than a car & wondering how I reverse a 6m van , when I can't see out the back , just practice I guess. Many thanks for your help. x
A reversing camera is a must for us but I still get out and advise!!!
Not sure what your budget is but funster @Terry does lovely conversions and had some for sale .

Upvote 0
Sep 22, 2014
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Duetto
Exp
Since 2014
Cilla and Mum. Your van will have large wing mirrors, however a reversing camera plus getting out to have a check is vital as I found out to my cost a while ago. :(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If I could put my twopence worth in, I wouldn't go for small just for the parking aspect, I would be looking for the toilet and shower and bed space first, another couple of feet in size is not going to make much difference as to where you can park but small cramped inside is going to spoil the whole experience, look round plenty inside to see what you would like then look for the smallest van you can get all that in
Not the other way round.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Cilla And Mom

Cilla And Mom

Free Member
Aug 19, 2016
Kidderminster
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie - thinking!
If I could put my twopence worth in, I wouldn't go for small just for the parking aspect, I would be looking for the toilet and shower and bed space first, another couple of feet in size is not going to make much difference as to where you can park but small cramped inside is going to spoil the whole experience, look round plenty inside to see what you would like then look for the smallest van you can get all that in
Not the other way round.
Great advice Chaser, thanks.. we have looked at lots of layouts & found WildAx Solaris would be great for us - just can't find a second had one in our budget, yet :( or anything with the same layout... Early days, we'll keep looking, x

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back