Help! Skype on an Iphone (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Help please, I have delayed the urge for an Iphone because I use Skype a great deal. This service is free and unlimited on the 3 network. The 3 network do not supply an Iphone with Skype.
There are a number of you who use the Iphone for Skype I must assume that you are connected through the internet connection rather than the phone network.
Does this soak up your internet fare usage quota or is there another way of connecting to Skype.:Smile:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
most if not all, give free internet access on there Iphone tarrifs. Its what the Iphone is really designed for. Personally I can not see the point of an iphone without access to the internet.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
give free internet access on there Iphone tarrifs.

I think the truth is they charge a premium tariff which *includes* internet access.

Is it unlimited access for all time ? I often spot "unlimited" and in microscopic print "for X months".

And it's UK only isn' it ? What happens when you are on holiday ? Severe withdrawal symptoms ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
most if not all, give free internet access on there Iphone tarrifs. Its what the Iphone is really designed for. Personally I can not see the point of an iphone without access to the internet.

I understand the mechanics of it but is there a fare usage policy on an Iphone like all other internet phones or is the Iphone unique. Skype can use a load of bytes if you are a regular user, this is why 3 connect it through their phone network. Then it is unlimited usage.
Is Skype limited by the internet fare usage policy on the Iphone?:shout:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
sorry I don't really understand the fair usage policy. But I do know that colleagues have used built in sat nav that uses 3g for hours on end with no complaints from Orange, before anyone charges you in regard fair useage, my understanding is they have to contact and tell you so.
Also, does not skype go through the PC? for example if I use it on my iphone right now, it goes through my wirless router and not the phone network? does that make sense? My iphone always searches for WIFI before 3g
as for the tarrif Brian, yes your right, I pay £31 a month or should I say your taxes pay half of that:winky: but dont worry, im enjoying whilst I can and before the revolution.
Compared to Nikki;s tariff of £5 per month, its dear, but hey alot more enjoyable

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
before anyone charges you in regard fair useage, my understanding is they have to contact and tell you so.

Thanks haganap that is correct they do contact you if you reach their max. I found this out a few weeks ago when I updated the ops system on my 3 phone which deleted all my apps.
I then downloaded Skype from the internet by mistake. I should have used the phone network. 3 weeks later I had a call from 3 telling me I had overshot their fare usage and I would have my hands cut off if I continued to use it.
I deleted that download and uploaded it through 3. No more probs.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I think the truth is they charge a premium tariff which *includes* internet access.

Is it unlimited access for all time ? I often spot "unlimited" and in microscopic print "for X months".

And it's UK only isn' it ? What happens when you are on holiday ? Severe withdrawal symptoms ?
Ah but is this limited by fare usage hilldweller. I would be very surprised if it wasn't.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
it goes through my wirless router and not the phone network? does that make sense? My iphone always searches for WIFI before 3g

That is good and at the same time "tricky".

You are gobbling up the internet bytes, via your WiFi at fixed cost, but if it goes pear shaped you get the warning from your ISP. So iPhone and the provider comes out squeaky clean and you curse your ISP. Meanwhile the iPhone provider who is charging a premium are not carrying all that bandwidth. That's really clever I think.

You are very unlikely to trigger a fair use of an ISP account using a phone I'd think, you'd blind first.

"But mummy, can I keep doing it 'till I need glasses ?".

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back