Help setting up portable solar panel (1 Viewer)

Solara

Free Member
Aug 15, 2012
dorset
Funster No
MH
t4
Exp
10 years
Over the years I've used quite a few rigid glass panels but have recently bought a 10 Watt Powerflex roll up panel for charging my phone when I'm away from the camper (I like to walk long distances when I've parked up)

My question is... can anyone suggest a suitable small regulator and 12v battery for carrying in a rucksack (the solar panel will be bungeed on the outside)

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
that seems like a sledgehammer to crack a nut. To start with covering some cells with bungee will prevent it from working properly. why not just get a dedicated solar phone charger, and velcro it to the top of your rucksack with lead running over your shoulder to the phone in your top pocket. A search of fleabay brought up loads. just find one to suit your phone
Link Removed

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Have you asked the supplier you bought the panel from? They should know of compatible products shouldn't they?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S

Solara

Free Member
Aug 15, 2012
dorset
Funster No
MH
t4
Exp
10 years
Have you asked the supplier you bought the panel from? They should know of compatible products shouldn't they?

I bought it 2nd hand :winky:

that seems like a sledgehammer to crack a nut. To start with covering some cells with bungee will prevent it from working properly.

It has eyelet's in the corners so no sun block out. Also it's destined to run several gismos such as iPhone (sometimes), torch, radio etc etc so not overkill in my humble opinion

Anyone know of a small 12 battery pack and small regulator (links if possible please)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
A 10w panel shouldn't need a regulator, however if its to charge a phone get one thats designed for the purpose. Covering any part of a solar panel will reduce its output to practically nil.

Try powermonkey. Not the cheapest but will charge just about anything with the appropriate adaptor

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/PowerTraveller-Explorer-Solar-Charger-Device/dp/B001W031KI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1345041670&sr=8-2[/ame]

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S

Solara

Free Member
Aug 15, 2012
dorset
Funster No
MH
t4
Exp
10 years
Try powermonkey. Not the cheapest but will charge just about anything with the appropriate adaptor

Thanks that's good info, just to clarify things do you think my 10w panel charge a Powermonkey? this is the bit I'm finding hard to research even on Google

Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Solara,

Welcome to the forum.

Any solar panel needs a regulator unless it has one built in. There are few if no 'low cost' ones that work. When you consider you can take out any item you plug in if you go over the 'protected' voltage of the item you can see how important it is to get it right. The ones we sell to the Water Industry will probably be an overkill. But typically a good place to start would be somewhere like these two, who will both give you good advice if you phone them:

Marlec

Wind & Sun

Best regards

Chris
ps - Jim I am not sure if it is OK to put these links up so please remove them if it is a problem.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back