Help! Rodents in the motorhome... (1 Viewer)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Whilst we've never had rodents in the living compartment they definitely get into the engine bay, and on one occasion started gnawing at the covering on the wiring loom. As far as I can see, they climb up the front wheels. One approach I tried was to cut the base out of a shallow stacker box then split it down one corner so it could be placed around the tyre, taped back together from the inside, and bedded into the ground to create a smooth plastic anti-rodent wall around the wheels. I don't know whether my version was completely successful, but someone with design and make skills could probably do a decent job of it.

I now duck tape bait boxes into the engine compartment when the van's in storage, and on checking them today was greeted by festering maggot-blown rodent corpses in each box, so they're still getting in there and no mistake. One looked quite recent. I'd strongly advise the same course of action for anyone storing their van in a rural setting.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
At this time of the year mice are just looking for a cosy billet, no necessarily food. we have been troubled and then fitted a sonic job, it took a few days to drive them out but they have not been back since. Same thing in our last van.
This alarm is German mad and uns of of your 12V system so no messing about charging pp9 batteries
Link Removed
working well for me and does not seem to bother the dogs.

I've tried the battery operated ones but with no success. I've ordered one of your German ones, so will give it a whirl as I would rather keep them out in the first place rather than trap them. They've gone up a couple of quid since you bought yours.:Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
After last winter and catching 8 mice I always keep 4 traps down baited with chocolate and a sonic thing down. This is in a PVC too!

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
As said earlier tumble dryer sheets everywhere under seats , beds , cupboards , use a whole packet . It also smells nice when you pick it up

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Had them in last year, found mouse poo EVERYWHERE, but no mice. Found the bed they were making and soon sorted that out, but no mice :)

Used a humane trap, but never caught anything. I had absolutely no food for them as I cleared everything out that they could nibble on. Still set the trap every time I leave the motorhome, but to date, they've not come back.....just yet (y)

It's ok stating that they're just another species trying to survive, but they are so destructive in the process, that they need shifting out ASAP :boxing:
image.jpg

Feb 3, 2008
Highworth
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 85
Hi
A few years back when we were full timing we discovered a four legged beast with a long tail in a locker.We didn't bother to much as we put down a trap but when I mentioned it to the landowner where we were staying he said not to worry he'd sort it and off he went only to return 10 min later with a double barreled shotgun which he brought into the van and said which locker open it up I'll get the little b*******d.
Never told him anything else
Pete

Mastercamper

Free Member
Dec 7, 2013
Northumberland Flag Flier
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
50 years campervanning
Bad news! We have them all around us where we live, had success with the snapper "false teeth" type of mouse trap in my workshop over the past week or so, got two of them over a couple of days......kazammmm!:thumb:
Unfortunately they nibbled through a breather pipe in the car last winter and that was costly to replace.......nice warm engine under the bonnet!
I haven't had any luck with the sonic type, I have one in my workshop all the time and they still come in. No food in the ceramics workshop, but they love to snuggle into the bags of shredded paper and they even have the nerve to walk across the shelves and my workshop table:Angry:
The "humane" traps are pointless, the mouse will just come back in again. None of this "Cor, I was lucky that time, better not try that again" nonsense.
I would suggest the "false teeth" type of traps, the ones that near take your finger off when you set them!:shout: Some poison in the corners and along all the edges of the van.
As Jim says put peanut butter or something similar onto the traps, anything that can be "a grab and getaway job" is no use.
From the poison point of view, you just need to keep checking for the little bodies every few days, at least in the cold weather you should find them before any smell appears.
Good luck with it:thumb:

When I Lived in Anglesey, many Welsh moons ago, my wooden upholstery workshop was invaded by rats under the suspended floor. Pest controller , ....er, controlled them. When I asked what about the smell when they die under the floor and decompose. He replied that he would put RODENT DEODERANT down! Eventuallty though, Extremists tried to sort my problem... They tried to torch the building one night.:crying:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back