KeefieWeefie

Free Member
Dec 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 520
Exp
Since 2012
Reverse polarity, always a good topic of debate:rolleyes:.

It's so easily checked with a tester and if necessary rectified with a reverse wired adapter.

I've always been cautious around electricity and for the pennies it costs to have it correct it's just not worth the risk!
I think you are correct! Those that think it's not a problem should not advise others. Like you I have made up an adaptor but they are also available from Amazon UK.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Reverse polarity....
The ability to freeze food in your oven, cook food in your fridge, turn on your lights to make it dark, make your charger drain your battery.
Reverse polarity won't really make these things happen, or anything else.
Making sure there's an earth is far more critical.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I think you are correct! Those that think it's not a problem should not advise others. Like you I have made up an adaptor but they are also available from Amazon UK.
Can you give a documented reason why reverse polarity is dangerous in everyday use.... After all most of Europe don't have a specific polarity hense our love affair with correction adaptors.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Same as us. I've got a tester and a RP adapter somewhere in one of the lockers. Neither have ever been out of said locker.

No, there is no real problem. Lots of people think they understand the issue when in fact very few of them have the first clue (y)
Me too. Reverse polarity will damage nothing and is not dangerous unless you're in the habit of working on appliances whilst they're switched on (or sticking knives in your toaster). I'd argue that there's more danger from another adaptor in the EHU than there is from RP. If your van has a built-in device to warn you of RP or prevent you from making the connection you may need an adaptor, In 35 years of tugging and mhing I have not needed or used an adaptor.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Those that use a term totally inapplicable to AC mains and that is more another marketing ploy than anything to do with safety should not offer an opinion.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
The only way reverse polarity on a UK van ( or UK electrics) would affect you is if live and neutral were reversed and your single pole switch, MCB or fuse blew or disconnected. Normally in the UK this would interrupt the live supply but if it was reversed it would interrupt the neutral wire and leave the live wire still connected through the switch and associated wiring.
not a problem with French wiring as all circuit breakers and switches are double pole but could be with UK wiring

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

Dear, oh dear, oh dear.

In the immortal words of our dear friend 596 (now long gone), a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Those that advise it’s not a problem KNOW (not think!) that it’s not a problem. As pappajohn has requested, please advise the basis of your refuting conventional wisdom.

Ian

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007

You do realise that whilst it's always a relevant topic, this post is from four years ago, 2016? :giggle:

Mick

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
You do realise that whilst it's always a relevant topic, this post is from four years ago, 2016? :giggle:

Mick

He‘s a newbie and probably doesn’t realise.

Ian

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
All RCDs are double pole, it's the MCB that are single pole in the UK (y)
I am not sure this is correct and if not it could be dangerous to rely on it. There are various references on the internet to single pole RCDs (Wiki, Screwfix). I know the RCD sensing is between both poles but it seems some only switch/interrupt one of them.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I am not sure this is correct and if not it could be dangerous to rely on it. There are various references on the internet to single pole RCDs (Wiki, Screwfix). I know the RCD sensing is between both poles but it seems some only switch/interrupt one of them.
In the UK there should be no revered polarity if the campsite electric is up to specification so even single pole RCD is acceptable.
If it is reversed and a problem occurs they/their public liability insurers are liable as their electric testing isn't up to standard.....
Foriegn sites all use double pole as they dont have a specific polarity as a standard specification.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Thanks pappajohn . I was just concerned that one post said “All RCDs are double pole” when it appears that some may not be and therefore might not be suitable for continental use.

KeefieWeefie

Free Member
Dec 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 520
Exp
Since 2012
Our 2014 Auto Sleeper is fitted with the Sargent EC 500 PSU and it has a reverse polarity light fitted, Also our microwave isolation switch lights up if on reverse polarity. I have made a short lead with the positive and negative reversed and I've labled it reverse wired.
Here are the parts needed.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=281293138150

John.
Just found out that you can buy an adaptor to reverse the reverse polarity on Amazon for £15

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Just found out that you can buy an adaptor to reverse the reverse polarity on Amazon for £15

You’re a very naughty man; stop stirring it!

If you’re not being naughty, for the reasons outlined above, save your money.

Where there is an opportunity to pray on the fears of the ill informed, sales folks are not slow to capitalise on that weakness.

Ian

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Don’t forget to order your breathalysers for France while you’re there.
It's the law you know. :Eeek: :rofl::rofl:

Richard.

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
The only way reverse polarity on a UK van ( or UK electrics) would affect you is if live and neutral were reversed and your single pole switch, MCB or fuse blew or disconnected. Normally in the UK this would interrupt the live supply but if it was reversed it would interrupt the neutral wire and leave the live wire still connected through the switch and associated wiring.
not a problem with French wiring as all circuit breakers and switches are double pole but could be with UK wiring

While UK domestic electrics use single pole MCBs, modern British caravans and motorhomes all use double pole MCBs. Also MCBs protect against too much current, it is the RCD which is the main precaution against getting electric shocks. RCDs work equally well with reverse polarity.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back