Help registering new Globecar with DVLA (1 Viewer)

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
We are off to Germany on the 11th January to collect our new van and bring it back into the UK :)

I'm using the info in the .gov website as a guide https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/overview

I know the first thing i need to do is pay VAT to HMRC - so i'm already registered with the Government gateway service and will use the NOVA process https://www.gov.uk/nova-log-in - so i'll do this when we get home and get the VAT paid as i can't register the van with DVLA until the VAT is paid.

Once the VAT is paid, i'll need to register the van with DVLA - https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/registering-an-imported-vehicle

i have the European Certificate of Conformity from the manufacturer to show you have approval for an EU-registered vehicle so no problem there and as the van is RHD, i don't need a certificate of Mutual Recognition - these are only required if it’s a left hand drive vehicle.

i've got my "new vehicle import pack" from the DVLA which has the V55/4 form in it - that I need to complete - and this is where I could do with some help.

I need to complete the V55/4 from the info on the CoC and I don't want to screw it up - and some of the entries don't appear straightforward.

Would anyone with a globecar be able / willing to send (pm / email) me a suitably redacted copy of section 4 of their Globecar V5 doc so I can see how the elements are filled in -

alternatively, If people are uncomfortable sending me a redacted copy of their V5, i can list the points i have to fill in (they are numbered) and my suggested response to make sure i don't screw up!
thanks in advance.

One of the first issues i'm looking at is point 5 "manufacturer" - the van is a Globecar (rather than Possl variant), but the Dethleffs Homologation CoC has states the make as "Poessl". what do your CoC and V5's state?

More to follow:

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
Complete what you can and call the DVLA. They will help and go through the form with you.

What arrangements have you made to physically get it home, i.e. insurance, number plates, registration. etc?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
i'm really looking to see what is on a similar V5 so i get it classed properly as a motorcaravan and not a private car. things such as whether CO, NOx, particulates, CO+NOx values are on the V5, as they are on the Globecar CoC. interestingly these figures are different from the Fiat base CoC.
there is no CO2 fig on the Globecar CoC, but there is on the Fiat CoC etc

we are flying to germany, van is supplied on export plates that cover us 3rd party to the tunnel, insurance in u.k. arranged with Safeguard, who will cover the van fully comprehensive in u.k. on VIN no and give us 30 days to get uk registration and plates sorted

OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
You will need this pack https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-for-commission-noticemutual-recognition--17
So its VAT, whilst that is cooking go to local garage and get the lights, speedo and fog lights checked and a statement, then send that with CoC and completed form to VCA. Then when that comes back the pack goes off to DVLA.
I did this last year with a new Flair. I will PM you my stuff.
as my van is UK spec RHD, I understand I don't need a garage inspection or certificate of mutual recognition

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
i'm really looking to see what is on a similar V5 so i get it classed properly as a motorcaravan and not a private car. things such as whether CO, NOx, particulates, CO+NOx values are on the V5, as they are on the Globecar CoC. interestingly these figures are different from the Fiat base CoC.

we are flying to germany, van is supplied on export plates that cover us 3rd party to the tunnel, insurance in u.k. arranged with Safeguard, who will cover the van fully comprehensive in u.k. on VIN no and give us 30 days to get uk registration and plates sorted
If the emissions are quoted on the Globecar CoC then the DVLA will use them, however it is unusual for a converter to add these as they will be different from he original base vehicle Fiat ones, I think anyway. I was told that if I did not understand any boxes, leave them empty and they (DVLA) will fill them in from the CoC. From landing in the UK to receipt of my V5 total 10 days! Send a letter explaining everything both to the VCA and the DVLA.

OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
I spoke with another owner who imported a UK spec RHD globecar last year who didn't. my question, and his reply are as follows

Q- Our van, like yours will be UK spec - but did you need to get your van inspected at a UK garage and get a letter certifying it was UK spec before getting it registered?

A-No as its new and the COC should say the Tacho/speedo is in Miles and Van is RHD then no need for inspection.

I'll check the CoC to see if it is stated, however when I read the GOV. UK site yesterday it clearly said it was only required for LHD vehicles

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I suggest you read the VCA notes on the link I supplied, no where does it say only for LHD vehicles. However proceed how feel appropriate.

OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
this is the LHD statement I referred to. https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/mutual-recognition
IMG_0256.jpg

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990

The German Export Plates are only legal in Germany, not France, Belgium or the UK.

It is also illegal to drive an unregistered vehicle in the UK. It's a bit of a bugger. You are not allowed to drive it unregistered and you can't resister it until it's on UK soil and VAT paid! You do have to take a risk to drive it home and perhaps better to drive in the UK during the night and book the tunnel crossing to suit. Or, if you know anyone with UK trade plates, that would remove the risk.

Because it's right hand drive and built for the UK you do not have to get speedo, lights etc., checked unless DVLA specifically demand it in your case.

I don't know which dealership you are using but I do know that the export plates with 5 days COMPREHENSIVE insurance is available for just a few more euros. Well worth it for peace of mind during journey to the tunnel.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
The advice I got from the DVLA was to leave any thing I was unsure about and they would sort it out.

Without a mutual recognition certificate I should think the final CoC from Globecar is the important one which you will need to send (they will probably keep it so it's worth copying beforehand). DVLA told me I could send the others as well if I wanted to but I didn't bother. The CO2 figures on the Fiat one are made invalid by the vehicle changes Globecar make anyway , and given the new taxation rules coming in I wouldn't want them to get confused.

Cant help with the Posll/Dethleffs thing as our van is a Hymer:) I suspect it's worth calling them to check as without a mutual recognition certificate you'll need to match exactly what they have on record for your model from Globecar UK to ensure you don't end up needing to be inspected.

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
Just another thing to consider. German law requires all vehicles to be fitted with winter tyres between November and April if the temperature falls below, (I think) 5 degrees C.

Sorry to bring you such bad tidings bust best that you know the score than be completely unaware.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Just another thing to consider. German law requires all vehicles to be fitted with winter tyres between November and April if the temperature falls below, (I think) 5 degrees C.

Sorry to bring you such bad tidings bust best that you know the score than be completely unaware.
the van comes with M&S tyres fitted

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
as my van is UK spec RHD, I understand I don't need a garage inspection or certificate of mutual recognition
Correct, very straight forward with RHD.

When you send your application to DVLA make sure you include your NOVA reference as HMRC and DVLA computers take 5 or more days to sync. My application got rejected because DVLA said the VAT wasn't paid.
You really have cover every detail, DVLA only employ people with an IQ of less than 5.:)
They will not check to see if the vat has been paid if the computer says no, even though they know their computers take ages to sync. If you send incorrect amount for the road fund duty they won't ask you for the extra they will just reject the application.
Slightest error means rejection and start again.

Sorry I can't help with filling out the forms as I'm in Thailand until 16th Jan.
If you have problems you are welcome to contact me after the 16th.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
However no where on the VCA does it say that and the CoC does not say that its designed for the UK. Tee up a local garage, that conforms, get a letter worded correctly and send to the VCA. It takes only 5 days to get it back.
there is a (not very obvious) tick box at the top ofthe v55/4 form to select RHD or LHD. I wonder if selecting the RHD bypasses the requirement for the Mutual Recognition, and failing to tick it (by accident) or ticking LHD means a Mutual Recognition inspection is required?

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Also, you will notice the uk.gov link you posted states the process is for vehicles originally registered in the EU. Given the problems another forum member had, if asked it's very Important to state the van WAS originally registered in the EU (even if it was only trade plates). Luckily, nowhere in the process does it ask for proof of this.

OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Also, you will notice the uk.gov link you posted states the process is for vehicles originally registered in the EU. Given the problems another forum member had, if asked it's very Important to state the van WAS originally registered in the EU (even if it was only trade plates). Luckily, nowhere in the process does it ask for proof of this.
I'll look out for that.(y)
I assumed that as it has a European CoC it would be fall under the "Registered in the EU" umbrella as opposed to say a Japanese import that wouldn't have a CoC answer would need the IVA etc.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It is also illegal to drive an unregistered vehicle in the UK.
That is not correct, you can drive a vehicle from the port of entry to home and also to a test centre if required, providing it is insured.
It is illegal to drive a vehicle with foreign plate and you should drive home without plates. Most of us leave the plates on far less chance of getting stopped than without plates.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
There was some debate as to whether the "registered" in the EU means the model type on the coc, or your own actual vehicle. When one guy admitted his van had never been road registered in the EU the VCA refused to deal with him re mutual recognition and DVLA insisted on a full VOSA IVA inspection.

The problem normally never comes up as the process never asks for the vehicles old reg number. - just thought it worth mentioning in case you speak to them.

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
That is not correct, you can drive a vehicle from the port of entry to home and also to a test centre if required, providing it is insured.
It is illegal to drive a vehicle with foreign plate and you should drive home without plates. Most of us leave the plates on far less chance of getting stopped than without plates.

I disagree! Yes you can drive a vehicle to a test centre, if required to do so, but you can't drive an unregistered vehicle from the port to home.

I checked this thoroughly before importing ours and was told by the DVLA, in no uncertain terms, and in writing, that we could not drive it from the port to home unless it was registered.

OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
I will message you my V5
many thanks! that is really interesting.
I note they have recorded the make as Fiat, rather than Poessl or Globecar and they have picked up the type, variant and version as the technical codes from the CoC entries 12,13 & 14 on the v55/4
on the v55/4 there are entries manufacturer / model etc (entries 5,6&7) and also type / variant etc (CoC entries 12,13&14)
has your van been up plated? I note it as been classed as Private HGV (as opposed to a Private LGV and has a revenue weight stated of 4500kg (which is unnecessary if < 4500kg)
thanks again :)

I've attached my likely entries on my v55/4 form
IMG_0258.jpg

Last edited:

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I completed a V267, declaring my Flair new having not been permanently registered in the country of origin. It had export plates which from the letter I PM to you will note. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...20/Declaration-that-a-vehicle-is-new-V267.pdf
Contrary to what others have said you have to use V55/4 and complete a V267. And I apologise there is a box for RHD on the form. I would suggest you clarify with the DVLA if you need to do the VCA element, get the name of the guy if they say no you do not.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
There was some debate as to whether the "registered" in the EU means the model type on the coc, or your own actual vehicle. When one guy admitted his van had never been road registered in the EU the VCA refused to deal with him re mutual recognition and DVLA insisted on a full VOSA IVA inspection.

The problem normally never comes up as the process never asks for the vehicles old reg number. - just thought it worth mentioning in case you speak to them.
I think you have misinterpreted that thread.

OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
so I've got two CoC, an initial one from Fiat and the revised one from Dethleffs / Poessl
do I just send the second revised one from Dethleffs /Poessl to the DVLA or do I send both the Dethleffs and the Fiat one?

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
I think you have misinterpreted that thread.

I think you're misunderstanding the point I'm making:)

I'm not saying the stance the DVLA/VCA took with @Norman Jones was correct . The rules on their website are ambiguous, but the fact many of us have easily registered an identically sourced van with no problems highlights that they were probably wrong (many thanks to @Lenny HB and others for their excellent advice and support btw).

My point was that by making a mistake in applying to the DVLA without a mutual CoC and then telling the VCA his van hadn't been registered in the EU he entered a whole world of pain which took a needless IVA test to sort out.

Anyway - back to @gerry mcg question. I would just send the Dethleffs one. They told me they only need the final one ( normally the mutual one for LHD but not needed in your case). I wouldn't give them the option of accidentally taking the co2 figure from the Fiat one.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back