Help Really Needed... Not A Joke... (1 Viewer)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Ok... I can take the ridicule...

The few of you who actually know me in person might have trouble believing this post but I am starting to prepare for a three week tour of Portugal in the Hymer with a VIP on board...

I have owned the 1987 machine for four years now and have always tried to keep it in the fine condition it was in when I bought it...

Are you ready?

It has a complete set of white, net curtains... woosie but fact... even have the girlie fringe patterny strips on the bottom...

I feel it is time to clean these items and I have never, ever, ever seen this task being done before...

My question is... and this is serious... honestly...

How do you wash net curtains?

In a machine or by hand?... with normal washing powder or special stuff?... Fabric conditioner or not?

Do you iron them when dry?

Please help me... :Blush:

JJ :Cool:

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Unless the curtains are highly delicate, you can wash nets just using your washing machine. Set it at a low temperature and a delicate wash. Woolen washes are gentle washes. Or, you can hand wash in the bath or sink, depending on the size and using luke warm water. Again, use a non bio washing powder detergent and agitate with your hands. Leave to soak for 20 minutes. Drain off then wash in cold water to rinse away the dirty water.

I except no responsibility for them if they fall apart. :Cool:

Easy Peasy, please don't ask ................ :Blush:

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Jill says normal wash, normal powder, no fabric conditioner, hang up when still damp to dry naturally, only iron if they look too creased.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
This is a worrying thread......:ROFLMAO:

Men washing net curtains, at least Graham had the sence to claim the info came from Jill, BUT MIKE:Doh:

JJ, can't be long now before you can begin the VIP training surely::bigsmile:

:getmecoat:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
are we taking him seriously?

OK, I must admit... I cannot see what the punch line is join going to be.... I just cannot get my head around JJ being domesticated.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bob

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Take them off beat them against a clean wall and rehang but be carefull not to drop beer in other hand whilst doing them :thumb::ROFLMAO:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Now..... tell me , did that VIP ever come on board? Does this person know anything about the curtains? Like ...they need to be sew before any washing.....or you'll find them changed into a ball of cotton yarn !!!!!.... May be you should ask your VIP :winky:or Fatima!!!

Frankie (sometimes VIP Frog::bigsmile:)

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
go on Frankie.. domesticate him

Now..... tell me , did that VIP ever come on board? Does this person know anything about the curtains? Like ...they need to be sew before any washing.....or you'll find them changed into a ball of cotton yarn !!!!!.... May be you should ask your VIP :winky:or Fatima!!!

Frankie (sometimes VIP Frog::bigsmile:)

Go on Frankie, he needs domesticating... anyone that lives of FBP needs to be shown how to keep house.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bob:Blush:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Go on Frankie, he needs domesticating... anyone that lives of FBP needs to be shown how to keep house.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oh Bob ...I feel like I am going to look different to your eyes in a minute ..... cause you see ( and you might say I need domesticating too) .... I happen to like FBP too .... What are you going to do with the pair of us ???
Anyway if you don't get it , don't try....... it's rosbeef/frog's thing..::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Frankie (Yeah JJ's Princess! :Cool:)

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
You can actually get whitener for net curtains JJ...and Frankie is right you need to make sure there are no hanging threads if you are going to machine wash them....of course its not that difficlut to do them by hand...good luck

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
then Frankie there is no hope for you

Oh Bob ...I feel like I am going to look different to your eyes in a minute ..... cause you see ( and you might say I need domesticating too) .... I happen to like FBP too .... What are you going to do with the pair of us ???
Anyway if you don't get it , don't try....... it's rosbeef/frog's thing..::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Frankie (Yeah JJ's Princess! :Cool:)

Alas Frankie there is no hope for you now.. if he has turned you in to a FBP princess then what next.. Heinz Baked beans.... there we are led to believe the French are the master race when it comes to food. Your fellow frogs (pun) will make you an out caste for coming under the spell of a FBP.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Still you need to sew those nets for him... JJ might try and take a rather large tool to the nets and not a dainty needle... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Next JJ will want to know which washing up liquid to buy... you have got him changing his ways Frankie....:winky: Next you might get him to paint the van .. as in the black thing.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bob:thumb:

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
All the curtains and nets in my hymer have just been taken off and washed, wife did the washing as per the others instructions.::bigsmile:

I took them off and put them back up - now that was the hardest part !!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

See if you can do it without breaking any of the fiddly plastic things that hold them up.:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Thanks for the advice so far... please keep it coming as there seems to be slight differences in approach...

I do want to protest about the "domesticated" bit and the "training" bit... :ROFLMAO:

I cannot believe that washing net curtains once every four years can be called domesticated... :winky: :winky:

And this "training" the other half is very dangerous stuff... just like "give and take" and "compromise"...

Imagine I were to "train" my Princess in something... surely that means that then she would claim the right to "train" me in something...:Eeek:

I prefer the both of us just as we are now... :thumb:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
JJ i dont own net curtains as im still under 60:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: all i would say is if washing in a machine it might be a good idea to stick them in a pillow case if they are small so they dont get ripped or disappear down seal.

Might also be a good idea to wash smallest one first to see how it tuens out so you dont ruin them all if something goes wrong

Gerry

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
Much too much domestication here. All men, must immediately return to eating a plate of FBP together with Baked Beans. :shout:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
he cannot afford them and FBP

NET CURTAINS !!!!! What a woose, or are you trying to hide some inadequacy in your life !
Get some new ones fer chrisake !!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

he cannot afford them and FBP .. remember he has FBP on special occasions... now I do not have nets myself.. very 1950's :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: everyone can see what i am doing .. which is not that interesting I can tell you. .. sitting in side the RV on a very miserable French afternoon.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
An earlier post suggested ironing them if they look wrinkled, if they need it just make sure you set the iron to the hottest setting,

then you will have to buy some new ones. :roflmto:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
And this "training" the other half is very dangerous stuff... just like "give and take" and "compromise"...

Imagine I were to "train" my Princess in something... surely that means that then she would claim the right to "train" me in something...:Eeek:

I prefer the both of us just as we are now... :thumb:

Now JJ, fellas, training.

It is worth it trust me, and JJ you are right, give, take and compromise, Sarah is trained to run round and look after me, and in turn I am trained to sit down and drink beer, therefore keeping out of the way, simples.

Dirty dishes, Sarah has me well trained in the art of leaving them (usually) in the kitchen , somewhere, Sarah then deals with them, training.
(Oh crap, OK I have to admit that once full the dishwasher 'she' insisted we had, nowt wrong with the old one:ROFLMAO:, I have been trained in putting it on, not very well as I've just remember it:Doh: That and I forgot to take tea out the freezer, oh well.........:Blush:)

Cooking, lads a lesson here, BURN STUFF AND MAKE A MESS OF THE COOKER, training, Sarah now does all the cooking:thumb:

No idea how, but Sarah trained herself to cut grass, garden, paint, word of advise on painting, make a mess and stand back and watch it all get done, or better still get banned from using a paint brush period, see, training, she paints, I sit and drink beer.

I look pittifully as an empty glass, or sometimes I just tap is and hey presto beer arrives, lads, JJ it's all very easy really once you get started, though she did come part trained, her Dad, I guess he wanted her out the house so figured he'd better make a start:ROFLMAO:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
NET CURTAINS !!!!! What a woose, or are you trying to hide some inadequacy in your life !
Get some new ones fer chrisake !!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Salopian was that "Get some new ones fer chrisake" or Cheapskate or Christskate or Cheapsake:Doh::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.....or did you mean dig up that earthern pot / Jam jar you have hidden in the grounds of Quinter major and get some new ones bought you tight ***ed S**:winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
JJ
to make them sparkling white again you need a product called Glo-White its is specially for net curtains. Do check there are no loose threads on the curtains before you do them - if there are ask the good lady Fatima if they are repairable.
There are 2 types of net curtains the best ones are cotton ones as they will stay white better, the other type are the nylon (sheer thread) type and they do go off colour quite quicklyand turn into holey curtains sooner than the cotton ones.
Place checked curtains into washer, add glo-white and a Little soap powder - wash on no more than a 40degree gentle wash, when washer finished take out fold them neatly then give them a flick shake (that one when you are trying to get trouser legs straight after they have been washed) hang back at windows when still damp

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
This thread is getting very silly. :ROFLMAO::winky::Blush:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
JJ is no longer my hero:cry:
He has fallen for the oldest trick in the book and I thought he knew all the tricks:ROFLMAO:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Errrm ... re hanging threads, I rather assume Frankie knows better than the rest of us whether these specific curtains actually have em or not!

I think we were assuming these were nylon nets or voiles, From what The Princess has said though, I fear they may be cotton nets. Which if they are need a jolly good hot wash and ditto iron, pref steam. Absolutely the opposite of what you do with the man made sort in fact.

Personally though in either case, I'd always machine wash even if hardly grubby at all because if you handwash, you wring or squeeze creases into them and you'll definitely have to iron them. Spin drying still causes creases but they are not quite as much like permanent pleats as when you handwash!

I hate and loathe to see crumpled nets, grrrrrr You often see that in England Frankie, utterly slovenly - make otherwise quite nice looking properties look more like a squat. That's one of the many reasons why I love France. French women always seem to have PRISTINE nets at their fenetres! And you have a far greater and better choice to buy .....

I'm not actually that struck on nets meself, TBH and wouldn't have em at all by choice but when we moved to a bungalow on a main road right by a bus stop and the bedroom's at the front - well ! LOL But they do have to be RIGHT. (we just couldn't afford vertical blinds)

Bon chance JJ !

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
JJ is no longer my hero:cry:
He has fallen for the oldest trick in the book and I thought he knew all the tricks:ROFLMAO:

It's very sad.

A man who once would think nothing of sawing a woman in half now washing lace curtains.

Pied-Noir, like legionnaire's disease but more dangerous.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
JJ You are best putting them in those little net washbags (in the supermarket on the washing powder shelves) before you bung them in the washing machine. Much more gentle. Adding one of the Glo white for Net curtain bags into the machine and voila... Pure as driven snow.... just like you. x

and you to Frankie x :winky:

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Whack some of this in & get the nets gleaming ::bigsmile:

Link Removed

Do the nets from the Black Beast not fit ? ::bigsmile:

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Now JJ, fellas, training.

It is worth it trust me, and JJ you are right, give, take and compromise, Sarah is trained to run round and look after me, and in turn I am trained to sit down and drink beer, therefore keeping out of the way, simples.

Dirty dishes, Sarah has me well trained in the art of leaving them (usually) in the kitchen , somewhere, Sarah then deals with them, training.
(Oh crap, OK I have to admit that once full the dishwasher 'she' insisted we had, nowt wrong with the old one:ROFLMAO:, I have been trained in putting it on, not very well as I've just remember it:Doh: That and I forgot to take tea out the freezer, oh well.........:Blush:)

Cooking, lads a lesson here, BURN STUFF AND MAKE A MESS OF THE COOKER, training, Sarah now does all the cooking:thumb:

No idea how, but Sarah trained herself to cut grass, garden, paint, word of advise on painting, make a mess and stand back and watch it all get done, or better still get banned from using a paint brush period, see, training, she paints, I sit and drink beer.

I look pittifully as an empty glass, or sometimes I just tap is and hey presto beer arrives, lads, JJ it's all very easy really once you get started, though she did come part trained, her Dad, I guess he wanted her out the house so figured he'd better make a start:ROFLMAO:
So sorry to see that you will be in hospital, Si. I was looking forward to seeing you at Stratford :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back