Help please

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Chris65, Sep 2, 2012.

  1. Chris65

    Chris65 Read Only Funster

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2011
    Messages:
    112
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    Castleford, West Yorks
    We are on holiday in Cornwall and on our way to Dartmoor tomorrow, and we have a problem with the van. In the cab area we are getting a terrible sulphur smell. We have had the batteries checked and have been told they are fine. We have been told it could be the catalytic converter. Any ideas? Is there anywhere in this area where we can take the van to be checked over? The smell is becoming unbearable and embarassing :Blush:
    Also, we are concerned that to carry on driving it may damage something further or be detrimental to our health. Please help :Sad:
     
  2. Phill D

    Phill D

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2011
    Messages:
    4,414
    Likes Received:
    4,632
    Location:
    South Wales
    sounds like the CAT if batteries are ok and not overcharging... google a local exhaust / mot garage they should be able to check it out.....

    be warned CATs are expensive..:Sad:
     
  3. Popeye

    Popeye Funster

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2011
    Messages:
    7,714
    Likes Received:
    16,931
    Location:
    New Forest
    Got to be the Cat, I've never had a sulphur smell from batteries but every time a car is in our workshop for a Cat change that is the rotten eggs smell of sulphur.

    ......... Geez Chris I can smell it from here, no wonder you're embarrassed.
    :Eek!:
     
  4. Chris65

    Chris65 Read Only Funster

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2011
    Messages:
    112
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    Castleford, West Yorks
    Thanks for your replies. Luckily the van is still under warranty.

    Popeye - When you have vans in your garage, how long does it to take to change and how much (just incase we have to claim it back)?
     
  5. simsy56

    simsy56 Funster

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2008
    Messages:
    3,002
    Likes Received:
    12,304
    Location:
    Ramsey, Isle of Man.
    Just a warning on batteries, I have had a battery literally explode under a bonnet once, it destroyed the battery, and put a dent in the bonnet as well.

    Craig
     
  6. pappajohn

    pappajohn Funster Life Member

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2007
    Messages:
    29,475
    Likes Received:
    16,955
    Location:
    YO11 2BD
    you shouldn't be able to smell the cat converter when driving...even a new one....the car behind you gets that pleasure. :Eeek:

    batteries, on the other hand, are generally inside the vans bodywork or under the bonnet and the fumes have nowhere to go.

    I would get a second opinion on the battery condition.
     
  7. tofo

    tofo Funster

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2007
    Messages:
    6,599
    Likes Received:
    6,226
    Location:
    Kirby cross further from londin
    I have had two work vans where the slave battery
    Has gassed on both occasions it was unpleasant in the cab
    Both batteries were housed under the drivers seat

    Both were transit vans
    The slave battery was the culprit both times it was also
    The battery that you could see from the front of the seat
    and both times they were very hot
    So maybe when you get the smell fell the batteries and see if they are hot:thumb:
     
  8. pudseykeith

    pudseykeith Read Only Funster

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2007
    Messages:
    382
    Likes Received:
    105
    Location:
    Leeds West Riding of York
    Hi I agree with papajohn. get the batterys checked before you drive any distance. Q/ are you in the RAC or AA ?. Get them to call before you leave the camp site
    PK :thumb:
     
  9. Popeye

    Popeye Funster

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2011
    Messages:
    7,714
    Likes Received:
    16,931
    Location:
    New Forest
    The difference in smell between a gassing battery and a buggered Cat is humongous.

    A gassing battery is a bloody awful smell but could not be described as Sulphur surely.:Doh:
     
  10. Popeye

    Popeye Funster

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2011
    Messages:
    7,714
    Likes Received:
    16,931
    Location:
    New Forest
    It varies between 400 - 700 depending on model. VW have always been dear.

    I'm not on the tools these days so might be a bit out of touch. Should be able to change it inside a couple of hours.
    :thumb:
     
  11. Chris65

    Chris65 Read Only Funster

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2011
    Messages:
    112
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    Castleford, West Yorks
    Thanks for all your replies.

    We are home now and the fault was ........................ drum roll ...............battery :clap:
    Apparently our van hasnt got a catalytic converter because of its age. You are such a knowledgable bunch :notworthy::notworthy:
     
  12. pappajohn

    pappajohn Funster Life Member

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2007
    Messages:
    29,475
    Likes Received:
    16,955
    Location:
    YO11 2BD
    hydrogen sulfide is released from a cooking battery and smells like rotten eggs.
     
  13. Pigwam

    Pigwam Read Only Funster

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2012
    Messages:
    45
    Likes Received:
    8
    Location:
    Chester
    I agree.

    Although I thought that in a MH the battery had to be fitted in a separate compartment so any gasses produced by the battery vented out side the van to reduce the risk of an explosion etc.

    The battery manufacturer will always recommend that batteries are charged in a well ventilated area which a MH is not.
     
  14. Chris65

    Chris65 Read Only Funster

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2011
    Messages:
    112
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    Castleford, West Yorks
    Apologies, I thought it was called sulpher, didnt want to post 'farty' smell :Rofl1: Just goes to show even with ill given info you still got the advice right :thumb:

    The battery is located under the drivers seat so no special compartment for us. What we did notice was even after the battery was replaced it took a while for the smell to dissipate. When we dropped the onboard waste water the smell was extremely strong so the smell appears to have got into other parts.
     
  15. Chris65

    Chris65 Read Only Funster

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2011
    Messages:
    112
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    Castleford, West Yorks
    Just a note of warning. Our van is under a years warranty and when touring we didnt take the paperwork with us. On returning home and phoning the company they will not pay out because we didnt run the repair past them so in future we should carry on driving and gassing ourselves, not knowing if we are doing any damage to our health or futher damage to the van or we could remember to take the policy docs with us :Doh:

    Lesson learned I suppose :Sad:
     
Loading...

Share This Page