Free Member
Jul 28, 2009
Solihull West Midland
Funster No
MH
demountable
Exp
since May 2009
Hi all we have a demountable motor home and we have had a slight prang in it.:cry: the side has a dent/scrape about 3-4" long and about 1" high it has cut into the aluminum I have straightened it out and put some waterproof tape over it and then put plastic over that what would the best thing to repair it until I can get the panel replaced

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi all we have a demountable motor home and we have had a slight prang in it.:cry: the side has a dent/scrape about 3-4" long and about 1" high it has cut into the aluminum I have straightened it out and put some waterproof tape over it and then put plastic over that what would the best thing to repair it until I can get the panel replaced

Sounds about right for a good temp repair.

Peter

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
what would the best thing to repair it until I can get the panel replaced

Get into Halfords, buy a pack of fibreglass filled filler and some oxide paper. Rough up the sunken parts and fill with the filler. It will be stronger than the ali. Not much more effort to do a permanent job if you can get matching paint.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Filler and fibreglass are porous. Seal with a waterproof plastic resin bond first to seal up the crack/split, and then fill over as required. Make sure you use some good quality filler. Rub down initially with 80 grit, and work your way down to 1500-2000. You will need to reskim a few times - no one gets it right fist time! Once tat is done and flat, wet and dry and prime, 3 or 4 layers wet and dry and top coat 3 or 4 layers, flat and buff.

You could always get a quote from a bodyshop - you would be surprised how cheap they can be. I would expect no more than ÂŁ400 to repair and repaint the side of a demountable at top whack rates.

May 22, 2008
Funster No
Seems a bit drastic to replace the panel for minor damage like that with all the possible leaks due to possible bad sealing of joints, I would just fill the damage with waterproof resin, paint the area of damage and then cover the repaired area with a sticker, transfer or reflector of some sort.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back