Help please with trip complications (1 Viewer)

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
Just looking for a bit of advice on our trip to France next week.
Our main aim is to see friends in Gascony, going on the east side to visit Champagne Burgundy etc:wine::wine:.

My daughter has been doing family research and together yesterday we found on the internet a long lost cousin from France. I wrote an email to him. Out of the blue, he rang today. he is thrilled to have found his English cousins after 50 years and asked us to visit him in Paris in his mother's appartment next week before he flies back to l'Isle de la Reunion in the Indian Ocean on Saturday.

After a near divorce towing the caravan around Paris in the past we won't go anywhere near Paris! The only way I think we can do it is :
1 Drive to Dover Tues and cross to Dunkerque
2 Wed morning drive to Arras so we can get the TGV Stay in hotel
3Train to Paris Thursday morning (51 minutes)
4 Train TGV back from Paris to Arras stay in hotel Thursday evening
5 Carry on to Champagne
These are the problems.
No campsites open in this area ,so we need to stay in a hotel near the station in Arras. Hotel has street or underground car park;are we likely to get Van in- 2m67 tall?
Will the van with bikes on back be safe for the day in the street?
My head is spinning with the complications. I'll be grateful for any suggestions
Lucille:Doh:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Why not suggest he meets you at the TVG hotel instead you could all have a nice meal somewhere out too. If the train ride is only 51 minutes from Paris he might not mind and theres one of him and two of you. He may know his way round the area better too?

Just a thought, wish I could help you further

Have a great trip xxxxx

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
park place in Arras

Hi Lucille!

I phoned to the syndicat d'initiative in order to find any solution to your problem . So there's what i found out:
There's a "parking aérien" which means in the open air which would do with your van measures: It's situated next to the station and it's over the underground one called "centre européen" (That one can accept 2,80m high but seemed to be to narrow to let your van in!)The man i had on the phone told me there's no problem to let your van in!And there's a "video surveillance". So the exact situation of this parking place is between the "holiday inn" and the "mercure hotel".

Hope it helps!!!

Amicalement
Frankie:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Lucille!

I phoned to the syndicat d'initiative in order to find any solution to your problem . So there's what i found out:
There's a "parking aérien" which means in the open air which would do with your van measures: It's situated next to the station and it's over the underground one called "centre européen" (That one can accept 2,80m high but seemed to be to narrow to let your van in!)The man i had on the phone told me there's no problem to let your van in!And there's a "video surveillance". So the exact situation of this parking place is between the "holiday inn" and the "mercure hotel".

Hope it helps!!!

Amicalement
Frankie:Smile:
Sorry for going off topic:Blush:
I just love your replies Frankie your English is excellent but I cant help but read your posts with a French accent, In my head I sound like a character from "Allo Allo":ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Amicalement
Geo
by the way my French is limited to hello good by and thank you I even had to google "Amicalement" :Doh:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
ello!
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
(oops ! the "h" is supposed not to be pronounced with french accent!)

Thanks for my english being excellent:Blush: i'm sure there are plenty of mistakes !but since i've registered i've read so many subjects in the differents forums that eventually i find my words again.AND ... i learn quite a lot about motorhomes while i haven't any . If i happen to be unemployed i'm gonna ask for a job as a motohomes seller in France!:thumb:Since then i 'd rather learn a bit more:roflmto:

cordialement (let's have another look in the virtual dictionnary:roflmto:)
Franlie:Smile:

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
Camping International at Maisons Lafitte is open until the end of October and is only a short walk to the main line railway to Paris.
Camping International

Camping Huttopia at Rambouillet is open until 2nd November.
Camping near Paris - Rambouillet

Both are far enough from Paris so that you can avoid the traffic, but easy enough to get into the city.

Phil.

hereford bull

Free Member
Jan 18, 2008
HEREFORD
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
6 YRS
i can make this simple for u disney paris easy to get to totally safe train station on site trains for paris every 30 mins bars restaraunts and under 20 euros a night

OP
OP
staging lady

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Thank you guys for all the help. Thanks Yodeli I shall look into this and also the suggestions from Phil and Hereford bull. Thanks for the suggestion Gayle but we are meeting at his mother's appartment in Paris as she is over 90 and couldn't travel. I shall raise a glass:wine::wine::wine: or three to you all wherever we find some wine......
Lucille

OP
OP
staging lady

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Looked into those suggestions and have to say a big:thanks: to Hereford Bull for that fantastic suggestion. It's sorted.

1Go to Disney resort Paris and park up.
2Walk to station and get the RER fast train to Paris and back )
3 Make sure we get the RER back to Disney to Marne La Vallee on the A4 ( line 35 minutes).
What a brilliant suggestion of a place to stay!
4Daughter gets plane out to Charles de Gaulle airport on Saturday and takes the direct line from the airport to Disney and then the reverse on Sunday. Brilliant!!

Thank you. What a great forum this is for help!
Lucille

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back