Help please with the Three roaming service.

Discussion in 'GPS Navigation' started by buttons, Aug 18, 2014.

1. buttons

buttons Funster

Anyone used the Three "Feel at home service" while abroad. I have just been speaking to a very nice lady in India with regard to my feel at home service. She says that all calls to and from the UK are covered, she also says that all data is covered without any additional charge.
    Am I clear in thinking that I can use my phone sat nav apps like google with my data turned on, without any additional charge. Sounds too good to be true.(y)

2. mariner

mariner Funster Life Member

There is a lot of bulls**t coming out of the mouths providers and retailers at the moment. When you get down to the fine detail of these offers it just 'aint what you think they are offering.

You may have to buy an add on or certain countries may or may not be covered and some that are have certain restrictions.

Read the small print before you risk the chance of a big bill.

:cooler:

3. lunarman

lunarman Funster

You need to check that the country you are visiting is covered by the feel at home service. I used my smartphone on 3 in France with data turned on used maps. email, browser etc. and there was no extra charge it all came out of my allowance.

I did not however phone any french number so could not say whether there was any extra charge for international call. There was however no roaming charge for calls to UK

• Like Like x 2
  4. buttons

buttons Funster

Not sure about that mariner, I have an all singing dancing unlimited data plan on contract with Three. This new "Feel at home" service states that within the dozen countries, which the US is one, they offer all calls to and from the uk are used from within your call allowance with no extra charge. They also state that all data is included from your data plan, which mine is unlimited so my question, is this true. Can I leave my data switched on for the duration of my stay in the US without worry. Has anyone already used Feel at home.

5. lorger

lorger Funster

We have two phones on 3 and they didn't work while in Scandinavia but that was due to having the international roaing switched off seemingly we have to phone to get this changed. We also had a 3 PAYG sim for the Ipad and that worked everywhere with no issues

• Like Like x 1
  6. buttons

buttons Funster

Thanks lunarman that is what I was hoping to hear. Sounds like a great addition. I can confirm that if you had used your phone to phone a French number then normal international charges would have been charged. This is not covered by the feel at home service. Thanks.

7. buttons

buttons Funster

Thanks loger I have checked that my roaming is on. Thanks

8. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

I used my feel at home in France in July with no charges. I rang family members regularly who are on 3 in the UK, all free. Also my PAYG dongle worked fine there with no extra charges.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

Did you mention in an earlier thread that it will be available in Portugal soon and that it only works for 2 months in any one year?

10. webby1

webby1 Funster

I think it is correct that you can only use it for 2 months in any one year ( but you can have more than one sim).....................also you are not allowed to tether on the plan..........However I am still not sure whether putting the Sim into a Mi Fi unit can be detected as tethering.....................I think it's counted as tethering but I'm not sure it can be detected as easily

11. Allanm

Allanm Funster

3 told me that its 3 months not 2, and there is a data limit. Even though you may be on unlimited data, I think the limit is actually 25gb, which is still quite a lot.
    You can't use tethering either.
    So, how do they get away with calling it "Feel at Home', when it should be "Feels like you are at home, but not really because we are restricting just how you use your phone...."
    Still loads cheaper than other providers though, as long as you are in a "Feels like you are at home, but not really because we are restricting just how you use your phone...." country
    Allan

12. buttons

buttons Funster

I think your expectations are a bit unreasonable. It is a fantastic new addition but then you cant please all the people all the time.(n)

13. iandsm

iandsm Funster

This is what I just found on Three's website

"What we mean by 'allowance' & all-you-can-eat allowances.
    Most of our plans include a set of allowances, made up of a number of ‘units’. Each unit entitles you to a voice minute, a text or a megabyte (MB) of data. To see what your monthly allowance is for minutes, texts and data, simply check which plan you’re on in My3.

If you have all-you-can-eat allowances, you can use a portion of these in Feel At Home destinations:

• If you have all-you-can-eat data you can use up to 25GB.
    • If you have all-you-can-eat texts you can use up to 5000 texts.
    • If you have 3000 or more minutes included in your allowance you can use up to 3000 minutes.
    Since Feel At Home is designed for UK residents on holiday or business trips abroad, if you exceed the above allowances abroad in any two months within a 12 month period, it may affect your roaming services and prevent you from using international roaming in the future.

When you’re abroad, you can’t call numbers that begin with 070, 09 or 118 directory services. You can however call 08 numbers but this will come out of your allowance. If you don’t have an allowance, calls to 08 numbers will cost up to 18.8p per minute."

So it looks like 25GB for a month and only if you exceed that in any two months in a year you might have problems although I doubt you would exceed these limits. 25 gb a month is a lot.

I would be interested in your experiences with Three as a mobile provider. There are mixed reports.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Am lead to believe it will be available throughout the EU countries as and from 1st October. Just in time for the winter break.

• Like Like x 2
  15. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

Hi we used our 3 phones throughout July whilst in France. 1 contract all singing all dancing the other PAYG called France phones same cost as in the UK n phoning.

3 to 3 both in the UK and France .used maps and tethered to netbook no problems at all and no extra charge all out of allowed plan .even though it states no tethering.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Cal54

Cal54 Funster Life Member

I am currently on 3 and thinking of changing when my contract comes up for renewal. It seems that wherever I camp the signal is poor and often only emergency calls can be made. Malvern, Sandringham, Clumber and the Windermere C&CC site all give me problems. I now cart round an old PAYG phone on the vodaphone network and this appears to get a better service. Having said all that I have been delighted with the service from the local shop and I get good broadband service at home with 3.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Leftlegger

Leftlegger Funster

Ditto

18. Allanm

Allanm Funster

I agree, it is a fantastic service, just not quite as good as they advertise, but our last trip to France was a lot cheaper than previously, with free calls, texts and data.
    Allan

• Like Like x 1
  19. buttons

buttons Funster

Being a regular visitor to Suffolk I can say that my Three phone is excellent in most areas of the UK but alas the Suffolk and Norfolk coast is not one of them. I can just about get a line in some places but Aldeburg is zero signal like most other areas on that coast.

• Like Like x 1
  20. SandJ

SandJ Read Only Funster

All worked fine for me in France but I could not tether tried
    iPad
    Tablet
    Laptop
    I could get a signal but it would not work similar to Sky to Apple TV it's there but won't work.