Help please with engine electrics (1 Viewer)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Hi everyone,
This is my first post on here, so please be patient with me if I am asking something already discussed. Have had a search though and cant see it

Came out of the house this morning to find my MH was making a strange noise from under bonnet. Its a lunar Moonstar 570 2008 on a 3,0l chassis. Anyway got in and tried to fire up as nothing appeared to be left on. At first nothing then engine started, but then refused to switch off even with key removed.

Called out the AA who found water in the fuse box and noise was the windscreen washer opperating by itself. He dried the fuse box and reassembled but the fault is still there, as in it starts (reluctantly) then wont switch off without stalling it or pulling a relay.

Is this a common fault and does anyone please know a simple solution? :thumb:

Thanks John

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
hi not been aware of this one but it could be water on the ECU plugs.
i do know that fiat have had problems with water drainage from the panel under the windscreen in the sense that there is a hole that is just a hole not a drain and with the later shape vans they seem to have put all the electronics under one of these such holes.

OP
OP
TheBig1

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi Andy
thanks for the quick reply. Any idea which box is the ecu and is it easy to get to to dry out?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
from memory without looking under my bonnet its right behind the fuse box under a small cover.

OP
OP
TheBig1

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
That would make sense it being under a cover, as I couldn't see it, or it wasnt obvious. Thanks again :thumb:

S

stagman

Deleted User
Hi everyone,
This is my first post on here, so please be patient with me if I am asking something Is this a common fault and does anyone please know a simple solution? :thumb:

Thanks John

There are modifications that need to be been done to this model under the bonnet due to water leaks . I shall try and explain , if you open the bonnet straight in front of you top centre there is a painted bracket with a hole in it leading to a galv bracket , the hole should be plugged as water channels through it onto the electrics , other thing is the engine protective cover. It is a common fault which should be easily rectified , not sure if Fiat would do it under warranty :thumb:

OP
OP
TheBig1

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks stagman
As I look at the engine, theres a plastic cover over the engine and particularly the injectors, so I thought this adaption was already done. The water however is getting into the fusebox on the far right of the engine bay beneath the nearside light. is there another cover or adaption that Fiat has found, or one that other owners have done?

The AA man was saying this is a common fault with Fiats, but its the first time its happened to mine. He reckons when its dried out fully it will all work again, but I am not so confident

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
on a later one at a show there was a rubber grommet in the large hole above the headlamp adjuster and some owners have fitted rubber drain pipes to the smaller holes in the panel above the headlamp and siliconed between the 2 panel joints in the centre.

but even if you were to just fit something like a rubber car mat over the fusebox and associated gubbins that would probably help no end.

OP
OP
TheBig1

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Now thats not a bad idea, using a rubber car mat as it should be pretty safe and not melt like a plastic bag as advised by the AA man. It's got dark here now, so will tackle that in the morning as I am certain I have an old mat here somewhere

OP
OP
TheBig1

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thankyou for the replies. :thumb:

Just to say that drying out the fuseboard indoors overnight sorted the electrical issues. I also found a square rubber mat that fits over the electrics and even looks like it should be there, so hopefully no repeat of the problem. Will wait for a couple of dry days and will then modify and seal the scuttle as well. I read about somebody using a polypipe centre strengthener and 15mm hose to good effect for this so do similar. To seal I will use windscreen fitting mastic tape as this is pretty much designed for the purpose ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back