Help please; Truma Combi 6E boiler red light, won't fire up (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Red Light on Truma Combi 6E in Rapido 9066df. We are currently in the south of France (out for 5 weeks) which is a great place to be but not when your Truma boiler isn’t working/firing up. It was working a few days ago but now we are on a site connected to electricity it doesn’t work red light comes on all both electric and gas energy sources. I hear a click when I try switching it on when on gas but no rapid clicking as if it is trying to light, just one solitary click and after a few second on comes the red light.

I have looked on this site and checked all the other posts and tried all basic checks; we have gas checked it is flowing to both cooker and fridge, tried unplugging the mains electric and firing up on 12v, there are no obstructions to the vent, tried constantly switching on and off, tried switching electric off at the control panel to try and re-set; but get the red light every time.

We are obviously fine now on a site but we intend to move on a stay on a variety of aires where we will need the boiler. I have looked in the boiler housing but to remove any covers and read fault codes you need to be a thin midget who practices gynaecology. From what I have read they are a complicated piece of kit and can be expensive should a PCB board need replacing. Would appreciate any suggestions anyone may have for me to try to sort this or if anyone has experienced the same issue and knows what needs fixing through Truma.
Cheers in advance, and yes the weather here is just suburb.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Without reading the fault codes there is no way of knowing what the fault might be, there are a multitude of possibilities from a failed combustion fan motor to an overheated PCB. You really do need the fault code to proceed.

D.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Do you have a top-hinged window that opens directly above your water heater's vent? We do, and the heater is safety-wired to not light while the window is open, so no Carbon Monoxide gets back into the van. I frequently forget this, and wonder why I have no hot water.

It's probably not the answer by the sound of it, but it's worth eliminating all the possibilities.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
You haven't put your vent cover on outside and forgotten to take it back off by chance? That happened to us and took a wee while before the penny dropped.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
My previous van was a rapido, and it had removable covers in the bedding locker next to the boiler cupboard, and also in the bottom of the cupboard under the sink (above the boiler). Taking these off meant seeing the boiler was not too hard. I'd be surprised if yours is not similar. The code is visible by means of a series of flashing lights on the boiler itself, and you really need this to diagnose further.

From memory I think there is also a fuse there and that could be a possibility.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
You haven't put your vent cover on outside and forgotten to take it back off by chance? That happened to us and took a wee while before the penny dropped.
The Combi doesn't have an outside flue cover it uses the concentric flue exactly like its predecessor the C series. Only the Truma Ultrastore has a cover for the outside vent, this is the large rectangular vent.

As I said earlier without the fault codes it is pure guess work andcould be any one of a number of faults.
D.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997

I'm impressed that you've still got a vent cover - ours was sacrificed to the God of sticky out MH things some time ago.

OP
OP
goneoff
Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi
Managed to get the Truma fault code from the boiler, it's flagging that the fault is with the room thermostat so I'm off to the Truma agent in Nice this afternoon. Thanks for your help and bumps

OP
OP
goneoff
Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Bump.
Sorted yet?
Hi
Managed to get the Truma fault code from the boiler, it's flagging that the fault is with the room thermostat so I'm off to the Truma agent in Nice this afternoon. Thanks for your help and bumps

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Hi if IRNBU is the answer what does it mean?[/

Sorry Irnbru was suggesting you may have left your outside cover on, this also happened to me on a blooming cold night. Learned the hard way.
Dave Newall pointed out you had a different installation without covers, from your more recent post you have it sussed hope the agent came good :) (y)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Hi
If the fault is the thermostat itself you can short-circuit its terminals (or the ones it is wired to on the heater PCB) and the heater will operate. You would have to control room temperature manually but you would have heat. Might be useful if you struggle to get it fixed?

OP
OP
goneoff
Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi
That is a great idea although we don't need heat we need hot water and the frustrating thing after speaking with the technical guys at Truma even though it is room thermostat/wiring it shuts down the unit for doing anything water or heating. You sound like you know what you are talking about so: if I short the the thermostat wiring as suggested will the water boiler work?
Many thanks for your time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back