Help please!! To silver screen or not ???? (6 Viewers)

themogs

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Not Long Enough.
:Smile:Hi Funsters,:thumb:
This sounds a simple question :Doh: but the more we think about it, the more confused we get (could it be the onset of that old-age thing ??)

Until last October we had a Chausson, requiring a Silver Screen for cool nights to reduce condensation on the inside of the windscreen etc,....
We then changed to a Bessacarr with all those blinds to the side windows and front windscreen (wife thinks they're pretty :Doh:).

The question is now; do we keep fitting the Silver Screen; fit the silver screen and use those blinds; or...do we just use the blinds and dispense with the silver screen.:Eeek:
We have a difference of opinion, and she's like a dog with a bone :cry:

Please help :cry:

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Sliver screens

We have had external Silver Screen for our last two Motorhomes (a Dethleffs and a Chausson) but neither of those had internal concertina screens. We have a set of external screens for our current van, but we only use them when it is likely to be cold, and rely on the internal sliding screens at other times as they have proved more than adequate and don't get wet when it rains!

We've just. One back from two months in Spain and never used the external screens once, though in really hot conditions I would put them on to cut out the solar gain in the van.

I won't be dumping the silver screens though, as in really cold conditions they are very effective at preventing condensation as well as providing extra much needed insulation. ::bigsmile:

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
Silver screens will give better insulation for cold nights but when you use them do not use your internal ones at the same time because condensation will occur. I reckon the internal blinds are great for privacy or keeping the sun out but we still fit the silver screens on cold nights. Two sets of blinds, two different functions..:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
We have both and use the external screen when it is cold which stops the condensation on the screen. Just be aware that condensation is going somewhere else in the motorhome. :Smile:

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
We have internal screens as well as silver screens ,used the silver screens over the winter and the internal factory fitted pledged over the summer in fact used them on mull last weekend and had NO condensation until we had a shower but soon cleared so I think there is a place for both

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Just use the external screens, much cosier

May 13, 2012
West Mids
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 6-2
Exp
since 2012
We found the external screens keep the van warmer and stop the river of condensation running down the windows and pooling at the bottom of the internal blinds

We also experimented and discovered that, if we are on EHU; leaving a skylight cracked and the heating on you can leave the external screens off and no condensation appears.

I get a dry mouth and drink a glass of water through the night with the EHU setup though:Eeek:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
All year round we use the factory-fitted Remis concertina blinds. Then from late autumn through to spring, if the air temperature falls, or there is cold rain / snow, we use the Silver Screens as well. I also fit the Silver Screens in the summer when it is very hot and the van is in direct sun, to keep the front cool. I have also made external shades for the side habitation windows from silver foiled bubble wrap (from DIY stores) for the same sun-screening purpose. These fix on with elastic straps, allowing the windows to be open for breeze.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Got internal and external but as we very rarely stay in the same place for more than one night we hardly ever use them:Doh:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
we have used silver screens for many years all seasons. because we have dogs in the van, in summer it prevents the greenhouse effect heating up the cab. in winter it keeps us warmer and removes condensation from the screen

all year round they give privacy and security and also prevent snotty nose art on the glass. the concertina blinds are great for privacy at a quick stop and when parking, but nowhere near as good as silverscreens

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We have silver screens and internal thermal screens. The internal screens are used in summer, silver screens in winte,' both when it's very cold.
Both have disadvantages.
Silver screens get and stay wet when it rains. If you take them off and then don't move straight away and have breakfast ( we make coffee with a stovetop pot) , the windscreen fills with condensation.
Internal screens leave condensation too.
We noticed with the external screens there is a cold draught in the cab area. The dogs sleep on the floor and it is cold there.
With internal screens, no draught. Both screens, no draught.
Conclusion, both are good, both are bad.
Allan

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
:Smile:Hi Funsters,:thumb:
This sounds a simple question :Doh: but the more we think about it, the more confused we get (could it be the onset of that old-age thing ??)

Until last October we had a Chausson, requiring a Silver Screen for cool nights to reduce condensation on the inside of the windscreen etc,....
We then changed to a Bessacarr with all those blinds to the side windows and front windscreen (wife thinks they're pretty :Doh:).

The question is now; do we keep fitting the Silver Screen; fit the silver screen and use those blinds; or...do we just use the blinds and dispense with the silver screen.:Eeek:
We have a difference of opinion, and she's like a dog with a bone :cry:

Please help :cry:

The internal REMIS type waxed paper screens are especially good for instant privacy particularly when parking tight alongside a fellow MH (where the site is busy) you know , when the next door is staring into your van:Doh::Doh: normally at Aeries sites! but this type of blind offers no insulation from the outside temperature..that's where the Silver Screen type screens excel ..no condensation, temperature in van stays reasonably stable and some variants offer the choice of a windshield pull down flap:Cool:

Nov 5, 2011
Gironde, France
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
5 years
We're just back from a weekend away near Scarborough-having had Autogas @ Thirsk fit the lightweight Alugas refillables. Great job & we were warm as toast.

We have the internal concertina blinds & certainly intend to get Silver-Screens for our Exsis-i, the lightweight Hymer. We had some condensation-despite the heat-sun, hail, rain & snow over the weekend, could only be England!

We've used 'em before with our Auto-sleepers Devon on a Merc Sprinter Chassis & were really warm-no condensation & cool when it was really hot in France.

The Sprinter Silver-Screens are for sale for £100.

The Calor Light 6kg Propane bottles (now redundant) are £40 the pair-almost empty-less than the deposit-I think.

Roger

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
We don't have fitted blinds - so have internal silver screens. Keep us warm - and keep your privacy - especially when running about the van drunk and naked! :ROFLMAO:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We only use internal screens and find them adequate. External screens do give better insulation but;
1. they are a fiddle to put up, takes extra drinking time when you stop.
2. are unpleasant to take down when wet.
3. an extra job to do when moving off.
4. cannot be removed from inside the van, so a rapid departure in emergency is impossible.
5 Take up space and weight when not in use.

So on balance we prefer not to have them. I have had them in the past on vans with no internal blinds.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
do as your wife tells you.then if it goes wrong.you can blame her.if it goes right tell how great she is.then you get a good day.win win.:thumb::thumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have external and internal screens and Remis blinds too and use them as follows:

External screens: We have a set of Taylormade 'longer length' screens which cover the air intakes to prevent draughts and also have a drop down front so they don't have to be removed to let some light into the cab. If the weather is going to be cold (usually late autumn to early spring) and we are on a site or at a rally we'll use these as they ensure we don't get any condensation inside. I added a piece of material to each 'over-door' cap so that they fit over the Remis blinds without a problem as they were a standard set meant for vans without the blinds. We tend to also use the Remis blinds on the cab doors too (not the windscreen one) because we find that external screens can let light in at the bottom which wakes the dogs up too early!!! :Doh:

Remis blinds: These are used mostly from late spring to early autumn, or if the weather is warmer at other times when we don't need to prevent condensation. We also use them during the day to keep the sun out so the van is cooler for the dogs (sometimes with the below also if it is hot too).

Internal screens: I cut down a set of old internal screens so that I can fit them between the Remis blinds and the side cab windows and windscreen. These are used in addition to the Remis blinds to keep the sun out if it is really hot as the Remis don't really stop a massive amount of heat. We also use them overnight when on holiday in the summer if needed, eg if it's going to be a chilly night or we are going to be 'hit' by the heat of the early sun!

In addition to the above we also have:

Roof vent screens: I used some old internal screens to make covers for all of our roof vents, so that we can prevent heat egress in winter and also heat ingress in summer! They really DO make a heck of a difference. If it's very sunny and we want the roof lights open to let the cooler air in/heat out as they have suckers on I can attach them to the open 'domes' - something which you can't do with the vent blinds as you have to have them open to let the air in/out so lose any shading from them!

Habitation window screens: I have also used some car type sun screen material (think bubble wrap with silver foil either side) which I have cut to size to fit all the windows and these have a dual purpose - in winter they can be used between the internal window blinds and the pane to give insulation from the cold and in warmer weather they prevent the heat coming in - they really do work a treat.

Jamwitt

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2012
Chandlersford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
4yrs
Hi Mogs silver screens all year round even when not using m/h no condensation cool in summer :thumb: ps saw your post mark on solar could you p/mark me what set up you had and costs:thumb:
Mark julie

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back