Help please .. radio and battery use

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by movan, Feb 2, 2014.

1. movan

movan Funster Life Member

I KNOW this is a daft question, but due to circumstances and all the problems I am having with my batteries I need an answer.

As soon as I turn the ignition key, just to first notch .. not turning the engine on .... the radio comes on. I cannot switch it off .. the button doesn't seem to work. When I have not got the ignition key in it appears off ... BUT is it on in the background somewhere and taking power off the batteries?

I desperately need to get away in the motorhome due to problems at home and away, in order to keep sane and would like to get the problems in the van sorted asap. Thanks.

2. MikeD

MikeD Funster

I am not sure why you cannot turn it off but once the key is out and as long as you can't still hear it.

It should be dead and not taking power from the battery.

One question what name and model is the radio?

:thumb::thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Xabia

Xabia Funster

Because of interference problems with my radio in an A class I have discoonected the ignition switched live wire and connected a switched live wire feed from the leisure batteries. This way the radio is definitely switched off until you decide to activate it. Also means you can have the radio on when parked without depleting the starter battery.

Mike

• Like Like x 1
  4. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Is there perhaps another off button on the radio? Ours is a Sony unit that was already in the van when we bought it. I struggled to turn it off at first, because to switch on, you push a button in the volume control, but pushing that again does not switch it off, it selects a different mode. The off switch is a small black push button at the lower right corner of the radio's fascia. It has to be held in until the unit switches off. Not a great design! Perhaps yours has something similar?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dawn B

Dawn B Funster

Not true, we've just killed a battery this way.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Wyaye wires

Wyaye wires

Our Burstner has an on/off switch on the dashboard just to the left of the steering column. I don't know if this is the same on yours. H

• Like Like x 1
  7. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

On our Burstner radio if you press the button once it switches it to mute (same as turning off the key). To turn it off completely you have to keep the button pressed until it says Goodbye. It varies between different radios though.

• Like Like x 1
  8. movan

Thank you everybody. Much appreciate your comments. I am not sure of the make of radio ... when I next get to the van in the compound I will have a look. I will also look for all the other knobs that you mention and see if that is the problem.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Serendipitous

Serendipitous Funster

Some radios actually have 2 supplies.

One is not switchable and is used to keep the memory alive for stored stations etc, the drain is generally small and would take many weeks to flatten batteries

The other powers the radio receiver and audio amplifier when switched on. This is the one that causes the problems if left on.

Hence

• Like Like x 2
  10. jemhorn

jemhorn Funster

Radio

Just had a Pioneer radio fitted and a separate rocker switch was installed to Turn off live feed to the radio. The experts at Vanbitz told me that it was needed. Just have to remember ti turn it off!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

Perhaps post a photo of your radio a Joy, next time you go to the van. I bet someone will have the answer.

• Like Like x 2
  12. movan

Good idea. I know where the off button is on it .... In the middle of the turn button for channels, but for some reason when I hold it down it won't turn off if the ignition key is in the keyhole. Will take a photo next time I go to the van.... not going much lately because of all the battery and display panel problems....:Smile:

13. capinpugwash

capinpugwash Funster

Joy in the paperwork you got with the van is the instruction manual for the radio.

Sounds obvious but have you checked what that says. With all the messing about you may have inadvertantly programmed in something to make it do what it is doing.

14. movan

Yes. it says hold down the button. As stated above, I have done that and it doesn't work. I havn't programmed anything in as I have never used the radio, although a friend of mine once switched it on a few times.

15. capinpugwash

capinpugwash Funster

I believe that I switched the radio on and off without problems at the Christmas meet, which is why I think something has happened since then. If it is off when the key is out of the ignition and your vehicle battery is not going flat is it really something to worry about?

16. movan

Yes, cos I is a woman!!!!! I hate not understanding why something isn't working.... Also it was after the Christmas meet that the van battery went down to 3 volts.... mmmmm.... so it was YOUR fault!!!!!! I would rather it went off when the off button pushed... Never mind. I will sort it eventually.

Thanks all.

17. capinpugwash

capinpugwash Funster

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.:BigGrin: