Help please Mcafee and Windows XP

Discussion in 'Computers' started by ourcampersbeentrashed, Jun 26, 2013.

1. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

Hi Folks

I have mcafee free with my internet.

Its just flashed up a message saying Mcafee no longer supports Windows XP service pack 2

apparently I need to upgrade.

What am I supposed to upgrade to and does it cost.

All advice appreciated. Im having a bad day today. This is the first of two posts for help xxxx

2. Castaway

Castaway Funster

You need to install Service Pack 3 for XP. Either do a Windows update or search on the Microsoft website for it. Download and install it and that 'should' sort your problem!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gooney

Gooney Funster

TBH I dont know why your using Mcafee unless like a lot of people it came installed on your PC and you found it just too difficult to get shut of, do yourself a favour and load Microsoft Essentials, excellent anti virus and its FREE, recommended on this forum many times in the past by lots of users:thumb:

• Like Like x 3
  4. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

Another for essentials - don't know why I wasted so much money for gizmo studded anti viruses, when this freebe works fine - and comp runs faster!

5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We've been using Microsoft Essentials for a while, since having some problems with AVG, and find it works fine.

It would be worth upgrading to XP Service Pack 3 anyway because of vulnerabilities it fixed and to keep up to date until XP support finishes next April.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Gromett

Gromett Funster

MS essentials also recommended here. A full run of windows updater should also be done as SP2 is not up to date and your machine will therefore be susceptible to a lot of vulnerabilities.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

We have McAfee as well - free with BT broadband so we are with Gail on this. My son doesn't like it either but we don't have a reason to change. On the Mac in my home office we use Avast which seems to work pretty well - keeps giving me warnings of dodgy websites like this one......... Used to have avast on the PC before BT provided the integrated service.

Question: why is McAfee so unpopular? Non technical replies please....

8. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Probably because, like Norton who do deals with PC manufacturers, the temporary packages are installed on new machines to tempt the unwary/unknowledgeable to buy into long term subscriptions.

Such tools are great in a business situation with qualified people who know how to get the best from them but over the top for the typical private installation.

9. Gromett

Gromett Funster

It's bloated, resource intensive, slows the computer down and is basically crap...