HELP PLEASE GUYS - FIRST TIMER WITH BIG PLANS (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
P

pygocentrus

Free Member
Jun 13, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie
It's sorted now, just an oversight from me no doubt. I guess that dealers don't expect that many 32 year olds hiring/reviewing big motorhomes so probably in their busy schedule probably just assumed I had C1.

Forum help has been great.

Thanks again, just the route now.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
6ft and 5'5

Just asking as it helps to know when reading reviews whether the writer is of a similar size - we've seen lots of lovely vans that were incompatible for us because the manufacturers assume that their customers are 5ft nothing; driving positions that require contortionist skills to get into, beds that are shaped so that only one person has enough length to lie out flat, head heights in beds that assume that you won't want to sit up ... the list of problems for those over certain heights is pretty extensive - I've found many just being 6ft 2.

As for the route, it is a long way for 2 weeks with a youngster on board - 1500 miles - do you need to get that far south?

OP
OP
P

pygocentrus

Free Member
Jun 13, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie
Just asking as it helps to know when reading reviews whether the writer is of a similar size - we've seen lots of lovely vans that were incompatible for us because the manufacturers assume that their customers are 5ft nothing; driving positions that require contortionist skills to get into, beds that are shaped so that only one person has enough length to lie out flat, head heights in beds that assume that you won't want to sit up ... the list of problems for those over certain heights is pretty extensive - I've found many just being 6ft 2.

As for the route, it is a long way for 2 weeks with a youngster on board - 1500 miles - do you need to get that far south?

can you pls suggest a beautiful place further north?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Perhaps within the magasine a review on MotorhomeFun could be included.

I am sure you are extremely glad to have found and joined our forum already. I dread to think what terrible situations you could have experienced

eg especially abroad if you had been stopped by police or if someone crashed into you (your insurance would not have been valid) you could have been prosecuted etc.
eg if you were an ordinary member of the public going to buy that vehicle you could have ended up spending a fortune on a vehicle you were unable to legally drive.

You need to consider from a professional point of view whether your chosen dealer is "a role model" for the industry (your words). Not being funny but without other experiences for comparison how can you make such a judgement??? If your magasine is going to hundreds/thousands of people there is an impact factor there.

One of the most reputable dealers I know is Johns Cross Motorhomes and they are funsters too. They hire out motorhomes too.

I am going to be very forward and suggest that you have a 2nd motorhome experience. Rent a motorhome for the Malvern Show. Its a family experience, come and park with all the funsters that will be attending and experience something different. As you own the magasine you have the freedom to do this and the finances. Its a cheap weekend well thursday through to the Monday and gives you an opportunity to see a different side, experiencing first hand all the different types of motorhomers, the fun that can be had and the community spirit. I do hope you take up this "challenge"

Here is the link Broken Link Removed

Here is the motorhomefun rally thread Broken Link Removed

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
can you pls suggest a beautiful place further north?

That's a challenge because you are planning to go at the busiest time of the year. I've been in France in the first two weeks of August and would avoid going back there if I could at that time. You should be OK in the middle of France but anywhere on the coast will be chocker and the roads very busy.

An alternative approach would be take the tunnel or ferry and then turn LEFT, going up though Holland, Belgium, Germany and into Denmark. One of the advantages of this with a 15 month old is should the little one become ill you will be near good doctors. This might seem a bit pessimistic but it always amazes me to hear stories of people who take babies to say a Greek island and then complain because it took 24 hours and two boat trips to find a doctor.
The weather is the big unknown but in a sense that is the beauty of a MH. If the weather looks bad then head south. Don't be tied to a strict itinerary. Just get a few good camping guide books, Caravan club, Alan Rogers, AA and whatever else you can find in the local bookshop and do some general planning in advance but thereafter just wing it.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
How about staying within the Alps if the weather is good? The journey to Pisa is do-able but if the weather is good on the way down, I would make the most of the flexibility that a motorhome offers and play it by ear and enjoy the Alps.

The weather in Florence is already 30oC ....

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Pleased to see you have your license sorted out, with the new van you will now need to check pay load, as with the little one there are extra's you will need.

The other thing is although you will be travelling in the motorhome for two weeks there is no way this can give you a accurate picture of what motorhoming is all about. Before most of us settle on our ideal motorhome usually takes at least 2 or 3 vans before we find one to suit our individual needs.

To give your readers a balanced picture of life bit a motorhome, for some research it could be worth you looking through threads on Morocco 2013/14 ,.

Do a bit of digging around on here and you will find a wealth of experience, a lot of our vans can be between 8 and 25 years old and still touring Europe and Africa , to do a article on Motorhomes just based on 2 weeks touring Italy would only be touching the tip of the Iceburg.

Gail has mentioned John Cross Motorhomes, Peter on there has a huge amount of knowledge and always helpful with funsters queries even recommending other dealers when funsters are not of his area.

Our leader Jim has done as much in bringing information and knowledge to the internet as anyone in the UK . Just a few thoughts and I know it's probably not what you want to hear, but I have been camping /caravaning /motorhoming like many more on here for 40 years and more so see things that we would love to see aired in a magazine. Good Luck keep the questions coming, and do let us know how you get on.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Not sure I can agree with Carol. Two weeks is ample to get a feel for what driving and living in a motorhome is like and I suspect that is all this magazine feature is trying to do.

"Motorhoming" is what I think Carol is referring to, and the social life revolving around rallies. That's a different thing and not something every MH owner does.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Not at all rally's are a very small part of my motorhome experience, to spend 2 weeks intensive travelling with a small child in hot weather, unless you use toll roads and missing out a lot of the country side there is no way a accurate picture can be painted. we have toured Greece / Italy/Spain/France and Morocco to a greater extent on our own, and there is no way I could have made my mind up about motorhomes and what they are all about on my first trip of two weeks.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
............... and there is no way I could have made my mind up about motorhomes and what they are all about on my first trip of two weeks.

Hence my suggestion he rents a motorhome and experiences Malvern it will be totally different from his planned journey

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hence my suggestion he rents a motorhome and experiences Malvern it will be totally different from his planned journey

Yes, it would certainly be different if the pictures I've seen of Funster rallies are any guide - sing-alongs, fry-ups and beer! Great fun but certainly not typical of what most MH owners do.

The OP's original question and aim are still valid. He's got two weeks and wants to get an experience of a motorhome (loaned free I assume) and write an article about it.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Post duplicated itself as a quote and no way to delete posts - there should be!

OP
OP
P

pygocentrus

Free Member
Jun 13, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie
Perhaps within the magasine a review on MotorhomeFun could be included.

I am sure you are extremely glad to have found and joined our forum already. I dread to think what terrible situations you could have experienced

eg especially abroad if you had been stopped by police or if someone crashed into you (your insurance would not have been valid) you could have been prosecuted etc.
eg if you were an ordinary member of the public going to buy that vehicle you could have ended up spending a fortune on a vehicle you were unable to legally drive.

You need to consider from a professional point of view whether your chosen dealer is "a role model" for the industry (your words). Not being funny but without other experiences for comparison how can you make such a judgement??? If your magasine is going to hundreds/thousands of people there is an impact factor there.

One of the most reputable dealers I know is Johns Cross Motorhomes and they are funsters too. They hire out motorhomes too.

I am going to be very forward and suggest that you have a 2nd motorhome experience. Rent a motorhome for the Malvern Show. Its a family experience, come and park with all the funsters that will be attending and experience something different. As you own the magasine you have the freedom to do this and the finances. Its a cheap weekend well thursday through to the Monday and gives you an opportunity to see a different side, experiencing first hand all the different types of motorhomers, the fun that can be had and the community spirit. I do hope you take up this "challenge"

Here is the link Broken Link Removed

Here is the motorhomefun rally thread Broken Link Removed

I am definitely going to be using my experience here as part of the piece. It all could have been a non starter. I will also look to review another motorhome via another dealer to compare experiences.

OP
OP
P

pygocentrus

Free Member
Jun 13, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie
So after reading many posts on here, I need the following -

A place in Northern Italy (25c-30c) daytime temperature with not a lot of mountain cloud that can be accessed through the alps.

A route from Calais to said location which is the quickest and least traffic.

A big ask I know but a lot of you are very knowledgeable. I will be buying a shed load of stuff from wh smith today.

all the best

Gav

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I deleted a post t'other day, went into Edit I think and More Options, there was a delete option, not there now, Jim's been messing about again.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
What time will you arrive in France and what time are you leaving France?

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
And what kind of things interest you (apart from vehicles) - history, politics, architecture, landscapes, sea / lakes / water?

OP
OP
P

pygocentrus

Free Member
Jun 13, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie
And what kind of things interest you (apart from vehicles) - history, politics, architecture, landscapes, sea / lakes / water?

hi there

We will arrive in france on the night of Tuesday 29th and I am continuing on the 30th straight to Italy over the alps. we want amazing scenery but not too dangerous in a 7m motorhome.

I just need checkpoints so I can plan my trip.

Things that interest us are

fresh air
mountains
sea
scenery

cheers

gavin

OP
OP
P

pygocentrus

Free Member
Jun 13, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie
My Wife wants to go to Tuscany. Any pitfalls to this and whats the nicest site to stay on please?

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Are you looking for somewhere to stay overnight or driving through the night? If the latter, why bother with Luxembourg?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back