HELP PLEASE GUYS - FIRST TIMER WITH BIG PLANS (2 Viewers)

OP
OP
P

pygocentrus

Free Member
Jun 13, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie
as i am new to this, i did ask the company about my licence. please can you help? i desperately need to know if i can drive this on standard licence. passed in 99. i am deadly serious about this trip, ive already started planning

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
If you read the pdf file the van is going to Germany to have a couple of demo bits fitted for the nec show in Oct then will be offered for sale at a reduced price. Not sure what us going on here. Can't see travel world just lending this out for a jolly abroad?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Passed in 1999 then no way .. The rules changed in 1997..
Unless you have taken an additional class C1 license since then..
You are limited to 3500kg maximum weight... often called MAM or in old money Gross..

That's your £10 subscription paying for itself and avoiding you being an un-insured, illegal driver on the road...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Forgive me for sounding cynical but it seems odd that you're less than four weeks away from a trip in a borrowed motorhome that you say is less than 3 tons, you're happy to drive it without checking and whoever is lending this for a review is also happy with the apparent lack of preparation for this journey.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Just had a thought - You could always contact the DVLA giving them the vehicle registration number and your Driving Licence number and asking them for a definitive answer if no one on our forum can advise you

sorry this appears to have crossed with a reply from Rolfarris but this option is available to you too

OP
OP
P

pygocentrus

Free Member
Jun 13, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie
I own Transport & Logistics Magazine. We are doing a Motorhome edition and offering a campaign to Travel world across my portfolio of magazines.

i am dealing with the director Ross edwards. there are no lies here.

I am genuinely serious. I wouldnt have subscribed and bought the checklist book if this was a blag. I am actually going to be writing about my experience on this forum so real help needed.

It has been so helpful so far.

Gavin

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Something fishy going on.
Ol mo is on first name terms with travel world. ......
And why would you need to take it abroad to review what we already know is a fine motorhome???

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
OP
OP
P

pygocentrus

Free Member
Jun 13, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie
Gavin... here you go in print.. Go check your license..
https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-categories

and here
https://www.gov.uk/old-driving-licence-categories

It has been known for motorhome dealers just to say "yes, it's fine on a standard car license" BUT they never check when the license was issued and some salesmen dont bother to think or even know about the 1997 changes..!! It's catching a few people out now..

thanks appreciate that

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
This is the place to get all the help you need but we are a suspicious lot when things don't look quite right and I'm going through my own weight issues at the moment, have a look at this thread and you'll see how fine the margins are between the actual weight and the total laden weight.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
No need to check -if you passed your test in 99 you won't have C1 so you cannot drive the Hymer
terry

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
as you have experience driving large vans, I am sure an intensive C1 course followed by a test would see you legal to drive the 5300kg vehicle you plan to use

your article would be even better if you shared the experience of having to get a C1 licence too. the licence issue is something that many possible buyers wont even think of

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
IMHO, Pygocentrus, you might find that a visit to a Funster weekend meet before the end of July would be a good place to expand your research - I'm not aware of the theme of your article nor the audience but I've read so many articles written by people that have no idea about motor homes and seem to get excited or repulsed by things that most motor home owners don't and it would be a shame to take a £120k beast a couple of thousand miles and not be able to provide new information or show things from a different angle.

If you can get a pitch at the Sandy cider meet next weekend, you'll get many different opinions about motor homes and, I would guess, lots of good advice and ideas.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i fail to see how Pygocentrus would be able to attend a Funster meet before the booked trip, as the supplying dealer is likely to be only lending him the van for that trip only. other publications, which I read include 4x4 magazines and similar. in these, the test vehicle is only made available for the minimum of time possible. the dealer is after all still planning to sell the van and wants the minimum wear and tear on it. plus its not unknown for the vehicle to be sold before the trip so the review would be cancelled

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
i fail to see how Pygocentrus would be able to attend a Funster meet before the booked trip, as the supplying dealer is likely to be only lending him the van for that trip only. other publications, which I read include 4x4 magazines and similar. in these, the test vehicle is only made available for the minimum of time possible. the dealer is after all still planning to sell the van and wants the minimum wear and tear on it. plus its not unknown for the vehicle to be sold before the trip so the review would be cancelled

He wouldn't have to attend in the vehicle that he is planning to take to Italy.

OP
OP
P

pygocentrus

Free Member
Jun 13, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie
Morning guys

I would like to say thank you as I have found out I can't drive the A class Hymer due to not having C1 on my licence. I must not have been clear to the company doing the loan. All is good though, I am reviewing a hymer MLT new model so I would still appreciate some help on the route.

Thanks

Gavin

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
What is the theme of your article?

OP
OP
P

pygocentrus

Free Member
Jun 13, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie
We are producing a one off edition called the "Motorhome" edition including points

1. The history of the Motorhome.
  2. The development of Motorhomes.
  3. The peaks and troughs of the interest in the industry over the years.
  4. The recent new interest in the sector.
  5. Dealers and manufacturers of Motorhomes.
  6. How the sector is contributing to the economy.
  7. Technology surrounding Motorhomes.
  8. Health & Safety.
  9. Motorhomes of the future.
  10. Why are Motorhomes fashionable again.
In this edition we are wanting to use one Dealer/Manufacturer as a role model for the industry and cover the following topics about your company:
  1. History of the business.
  2. Current Models/stock.
  3. Overall company profile.
  4. What makes the brand/your business different.
  5. Editors review of a Motorhome.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
In this edition we are wanting to use one Dealer/Manufacturer as a role model for the industry and cover the following topics about your company:
  1. History of the business.
  2. Current Models/stock.
  3. Overall company profile.
  4. What makes the brand/your business different.
  5. Editors review of a Motorhome.
Why not choose a UK company then? Assuming it is Hymer you are giving this treatment.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Pleased you've found out the licence problems before it was too late. Good luck with the rest of the planning but the fears about load margins for a family still hold good, baby stuff, push chair, safe seating for a 15 month old baby/toddler etc.(y)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Just taking one of those areas, - Editors review of a Motorhome - could you tell us how tall you and your partner are?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
"wanting to use one Dealer/Manufacturer as a role model for the industry"

Glad your sorted but maybe choose a dealer who knows what they are doing !!
Could you imagine if they lent you that van to take your family away and you had a bad accident to then find your were not covered.!!!

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I would be very surprised for any vehicle to be leant out without copying both parts of the driving licence for insurance purposes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back