Help please - Buying first / new Satelite system advice required (1 Viewer)

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
We'll my wife has gone out for the day and left me to do the washing up:Angry:
If only someone could invent a machine that would do it for me instead of standing here for half an hour with a pair of rubber gloves on and a silly apron, I for one would buy one:thumb:
Errr they have its called a dishwasher, go buy one.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
I'd ignore the suggestions that you buy a tripod mounted dish for a number of reasons, Firstly, they are fiddly to put up, you say you have had a disabled conversion. I don't know the extent of your disability if any but securing the tripod can be a pain, weights on hard standing, pegs on grass etc, and that's all before running cables into the van and tuning it in:Doh: Also, storage of the tripod in smaller conversions can be an issue. So you are right to go with a roof system.

There are a number of systems, you'll see plenty at the show. I would say that EddieVanBitz who's contributed to this thread knows more than most, and he offers subscribing Funsters a 10% discount, he's at the show so do pay him a visit.:thumb:
Jim there is also other installers out there who offer good discounts, and who haven't got the opportunity to promote there Business on this forum, I find it ridiculous that you find it hard and a lot of hassle to set up a tripod others don't and that includes me. And for that reason you shouldn't condem them Also I plug the coax into a connection on the side of the van I don't have to run cables inside the van

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Jim there is also other installers out there who offer good discounts, and who haven't got the opportunity to promote there Business on this forum, I find it ridiculous that you find it hard and a lot of hassle to set up a tripod others don't and that includes me. And for that reason you shouldn't condem them Also I plug the coax into a connection on the side of the van I don't have to run cables inside the van

Why have these companies not got the opportunity? If they did come here and give a discount and a considered opinion, I'm sure it would amount to the same advice that Eddie gave. Which is essentially, If you are disabled, an auto sat is infinitely better than pegging a tripod to the ground and messing about with cables and compasses:RollEyes:

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
I have a Oyster system ( one of the old ones) and have never been able to get it to work, apparently I need to replace my control box at of cost of £800.00. When we are away in our van were on holiday so we prefer to read on that note I've taken out the TV and sky box to make more room for books and am thinking of taking the dish off the roof to reduce weight. Horses for courses. Have FUN :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
I have a Oyster system ( one of the old ones) and have never been able to get it to work, apparently I need to replace my control box at of cost of £800.00. When we are away in our van were on holiday so we prefer to read on that note I've taken out the TV and sky box to make more room for books and am thinking of taking the dish off the roof to reduce weight. Horses for courses. Have FUN :thumb:
As you say horses for courses if anything has come out of this thread it's some bias comments and self promotion

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
As you say horses for courses if anything has come out of this thread it's some bias comments and self promotion

Bailey I for one am getting tired of your continuous negative posts often where no comment is required. This is motorhome fun fun fun
you seem to have missed that fact, I wish you would review your posts and ask
is it fun
is it helpful
is it infomative
many people have commented to me privately and I have pm'ed you my thoughts but it does not seem to make any difference. How much people spend and what they spend it on is up to them. Sellers who offer advice from experience are trying to be helpful, not necessarily self promoting, even if they were is that such a bad thing, how else can we be made aware of a good deal that we may otherwise miss.
Constant negative posts have lower the fun factor, which at this time of the year with winter approaching athritis getting bad and dying on my feet is something I don't need. Please try a more positive outlook, you may surprise yourself and get to like it. This is a great forum full of great people and each one of us have different values, different points of referance and different budgets and that is how it should be. But constant negativity I find a chore.

Last edited:

MrMotorhome

Funster
Deceased RIP
May 19, 2009
Funster No
Hi I am at the end of my Renault master disabled conversion (main conversion completed by Coachbuilt Uk. one of the last jigsaw pieces is having a satellite system completed.
I plan on using it in UK and Europe and want my home comforts of sky tv.
As the NEC show is on next week I am hoping for a great deal but would like to go armed with an idea what system I require. budget is approx. £1200 - 2000. maybe a little more for the right system.

All advice welcome

cheers
Stevewheels

We have used both systems and without question the Oyster Vision II 85cm Satellite System wins. If you enjoy tuning it yourself :Eeek: you can from inside your van or altenatively we can change to other satellite systems if needed without much thought automatically.

If you decide to have an Oyster Vision installed I would recommend you consider Eddie using the 10 per cent discount offered and with the knowledge you will be having it installed properly and good after sales service. He is a FUNster! :thumb:

OP
OP
Stevewheels

Stevewheels

Free Member
Aug 25, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
Renault master Lwb hi top
Exp
New
thank you... now for my next question

wow... what did I start??.. sorry.

Thank you to all positive comments and advice, Eddie great solid info and I look forward to meeting you on Wednesday.
As for the lengthy other threads / where I welcome your original opinion, the others I had to read.... bit gutted I wont get that 10 minutes of my life back :winky:

Bit more info,
- yes I am disabled (permanent wheelchair user) so automatic system essential.
- Having to spent a lot of time in bed at the moment so TV essential
- Don't watch coronation street not my bag
- when I start visiting sites I promise to close my curtains if I ever see someone setting up a manual dish.

Currently leaning towards a dome I think although all positive oyster comments make me wonder if this is wise, being a sky plus addict & from what I read I think a twin is what I need, I quite like the look of the TRAC Vison dome .

So here's the next question
I like the sound of in motion system, is this worth the extra money? the R5 looks great but a lot of money is the R4 sufficient?

Again thank you everyone for your input, been saving for a while and this is a big decision.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
WELL I FIND PUTTING UP A DISH A CHORE. I would not mind if there was something on the box to watch. Will stick to my crystal set or a book. BUSBY::bigsmile:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

JOHNS CROSS had better keep his head down.BUSBY:roflmto:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000

If you take your old dish off, can I have it to make another one of these for a friend.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRky41k-D8o"]Arduino Solar Tracker (Alpha 2) - YouTube[/ame]

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
We too want to fit a automatic system but after reading comments on fun and talking to suppliers we are waiting to see what happens with all the Astra realignments
Why auto system simple
I am a lazy git :ROFLMAO:filthy stinking rich :ROFLMAO:snobbish :winky:and I like gizmos :thumb:

drago35uk

Free Member
Aug 25, 2009
Newhey
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
I like the sound of in motion system, is this worth the extra money? the R5 looks great but a lot of money is the R4 sufficient?

Again thank you everyone for your input, been saving for a while and this is a big decision.

As a pleb with no vested interest either way, I have the dome with GPS autoskew and in motion. To answer your question GPS and autoskew are well worth having but in motion is no use unless you need to record something on the move.

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
No room for a free standing dish in my outfit,i would have to ditch some beer and that aint happening.The other week i did chuckle when i sat and waited for the MH door to open on another pitch after i saw the dish blow over.His head popped out 1st and looked all ways before tip toeing out to stand it back up.I cant always get reception with the dome mainly because of trees but its not a problem, we do other stuff :winky: and dont stay in one place too long.Eddie provides a good service and has a lovely site .No one puts ya hand up your back to purchase his goods but i would certainly rather have what ive got than a portable one.As said by the aggrevated one, youd be pretty sad to go away to watch corro ,so i certainly couldnt be arsed to play around with something outside to be able to watch it .That would be really sad :winky:

Brightspark

Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
Bailey I for one am getting tired of your continuous negative posts often where no comment is required. This is motorhome fun fun fun
you seem to have missed that fact, I wish you would review your posts and ask
is it fun
is it helpful
is it infomative
many people have commented to me privately and I have pm'ed you my thoughts but it does not seem to make any difference. How much people spend and what they spend it on is up to them. Sellers who offer advice from experience are trying to be helpful, not necessarily self promoting, even if they were is that such a bad thing, how else can we be made aware of a good deal that we may otherwise miss.
Constant negative posts have lower the fun factor, which at this time of the year with winter approaching athritis getting bad and dying on my feet is something I don't need. Please try a more positive outlook, you may surprise yourself and get to like it. This is a great forum full of great people and each one of us have different values, different points of referance and different budgets and that is how it should be. But constant negativity I find a chore.

Here here, well said Wildman.

Soaringman

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012
I have an Oyster 850 which works fine, however on wet rainy days when you want to batten down the hatches and stay in and watch a bit of tele, the dish gets blown about a bit and the signal is unusable. So if I bought one ( the dish was on my rig when I bought it) I would probably go for a dome.:thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I have a fully auto Crystop System and cant get a signal for the trees
I have a tripod system with 300 Ft coax on board but cant get a signal for the trees
I have a digital Arial on the roof but cant get a signal for the trees
Question
Do you recommend a fully automatic petrol or electric chainsaw
or should I stick to a "manuel" one:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
an axe is out of the question as im Armless really:Cool:
Geo

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
I have a fully auto Crystop System and cant get a signal for the trees
I have a tripod system with 300 Ft coax on board but cant get a signal for the trees
I have a digital Arial on the roof but cant get a signal for the trees
Question
Do you recommend a fully automatic petrol or electric chainsaw
or should I stick to a "manuel" one:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
an axe is out of the question as im Armless really:Cool:
Geo

Geo nice one a sense of humour at last , I would go for fully automatic one just point it at the tree

Billy no mates.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
wow... what did I start??.. sorry.

Thank you to all positive comments and advice, Eddie great solid info and I look forward to meeting you on Wednesday.
As for the lengthy other threads / where I welcome your original opinion, the others I had to read.... bit gutted I wont get that 10 minutes of my life back :winky:

Bit more info,
- yes I am disabled (permanent wheelchair user) so automatic system essential.
- Having to spent a lot of time in bed at the moment so TV essential
- Don't watch coronation street not my bag
- when I start visiting sites I promise to close my curtains if I ever see someone setting up a manual dish.

Currently leaning towards a dome I think although all positive oyster comments make me wonder if this is wise, being a sky plus addict & from what I read I think a twin is what I need, I quite like the look of the TRAC Vison dome .

I wouldn't advise the extra cost of the R5 as you will not be ale to use it most of the time.

I use the R4 twin as I also like Sky plus. I am finally back at our Motorhome, feet up with my first Stella, having got the exhibition unit into the NEC halls. It is peeing down and we have no intention of going out so a night in front of the TV tonight.

Regards

Eddie

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
The end of this Bitchy but entertaining thread seems a good place to say:- We have an 850mm Sat dish with Tripod, Sat box, 10 mtr co-ax cable and sat finder, plus many other "bits and bobs" for sale £55 the lot... All as new.. Mitch and Jenny.. :thumb: PS.. Going to NEC on Thursday..

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back