Help please anyone in Civitavecchia near Rome Italy (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks Mike. Really appreciated the phone call and from Malcolm. At last someone coming to the rescue.

I only read this thread last night.
I spoke with Colin and Christina this morning (22nd) They are not out of the woods yet but are coping Ok. They seemed a bit more at ease. New cards have been ordered and received at home by his daughter who posted them on to Colin. BUT the cards have not arrived. They have apparently been held up in Milan for six days now.

He has been given cash (200euros) by a total stranger and is hopeful his cards will arrive soon. He planned to go into the city today to check it out.

He has our telephone numbers in case he needs help in a hurry.

Malcolm. It's time in need, you find out your friends. So grateful for your call and help

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I'm sorry the OP got robbed, not a nice thing to happen at all :Sad:
It's obvious they didn't manage to pinch the chip off his shoulder though :whistle:

He seems pissed off that we didn't have a whip round and deliver the money in person.

I could be wrong but he seems very ungrateful.

Shame.

OP
OP
Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I've just spoken to Colin and he has received his cards. So he is ok and continuing his travels. That's good news :thumb:

Brenda

Just an update not got the card yet but have some money so crisis over for now. Thanks for the help and hope my prevous posts have not offended

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I am so glad you are sorted. I checked before I went to town this morning thinking I'd be able to cable you some funds via Western Union... maybe not much but enough to last you a day or two.

The Italian postal service is awful. I have a small business and won't supply Italy unless the customer will pay for courier delivery..... generally a courier doesn't cost much more than tracked international post. I've also found the "track and trace" for international items is dire - usually all they can say is that the parcel has left the UK.

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Oh, just seen your update Kiwi.... wish I'd known. Let me know via pm if you need more help.

Bebe

Free Member
May 22, 2013
Spain/East Yorkshire, Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2001
Just an update not got the card yet but have some money so crisis over for now. Thanks for the help and hope my prevous posts have not offended

Oh dear I seem to have sent a wrong message here. I did speak to Colin this morning, the line was really terrible, and asked if he needed help still and he said he had sorted things, and thanked me and said he was ok now. The line was breaking up all the time. I wouldn't have posted that he was ok if I had thought he still needed help and his cards hadn't arrived. :Sad:

Well that's taught me ... Don't presume :Sad: Sorry Colin :cry:

OP
OP
Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I am not getting at anyone in this thread and I am sympathetic to those who have had problems, but there are more precautions that could be taken.

I have travelled all over Europe in the van and over much of the world. Rome is risky but there are many other risky places (including London!). I have learned to adopt some basic security techniques.

In the van I always travel with at least 2 debit cards and 3 credit cards, most of which are in different cupboards around the van. Likewise my cash is split around the van. When away from the van I carry only one credit card and a small amount of cash - in different pockets - . So if mugged its unlikely that I would lose everything and I would only need to get back to the van to be OK.

I also carry a "dummy" wallet with a few euros and out of date cards for the mugger.

Passports are left securely in the van, we carry a photocopy.

In practice we have never had a problem.

All good advice and something I have taken in and adopted.up until now we have been worried about the van being broken into and all the stuff taken. I thought I had taken reasonable precautions but I was beaten by a more professional criminal. I will hopefully not be a victim again

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
We were with Colin and Christina when it happened. We had just got onto the metro train and all of a sudden we were pushed in really hard. I had my arm trapped backwards around the post in the carriage. It was out of the blue and was quite scary. I thought it had been done to get the door closed, but I think that was when Colin's pocket was picked. It was obviously a team of scumbags working together.

We then had the nightmare of trying to find the police station in Rome - you wouldn't think it would be that difficult but no one knew where it was. We did find it eventually and were able to report the crime and be left in peace for a few minutes for Colin to cancel his cards and report the theft to the banks etc.

I can vouch for them and as Colin Rice has said, when we got back to the campsite we found out that he had also had his wallet stolen as well. We moved on the next day and have spoken to loads of people since, who have either had their wallets stolen or were lucky enough to stop the scumbags in the process of them doing it. My brother was one of those lucky ones; so it does happen however careful you are.

We won't be going back to Rome in a hurry and just hope Colin and Christina get things sorted soon, and can carry on with their travels.

Had the exact same trick played on us in Barcelona a few years back and lost a wallet from inside pocket which was zipped only a few Euros as carry credit cards separate in another smaller zipped pocket
Saw scumbags next day at metro station and me and son in laws gave chase shouting stop thief only to be stopped by policeman with large alsation to be told " its not worth it as they be carrying a knife"
Were in resrambles next day and say 2 people being pickpocketed , sat at cafe with camera on table beside me and waiter said " would not have camera on the table as someone will steal it" thanked him and ordered or drinks, drinks came and then I noticed camera was gone !!! Waiter was standing with my camera over his shoulder smiling as much as too say told you so and promptly gave me it back, it was not a compact but a large DSL
So you can never be too carefully !!!!

OP
OP
Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I believe that walking around in scruffy rags, unkempt, unshaven and with no visible signs of wealth, as I always do, deters muggers and pickpockets from picking on me.

I would have definitely helped our fellow Funster out had I been given a way to do so... Paypal to a bank account for example but with his phone out of credit I just couldn't think of a way...

JJ :Cool:

I guess if you knew me you would say I take your advise, as 90% of the time I dress scruffy and wear jandals.
Again the problem is I can't access my bank account without the cards.
Thanks

OP
OP
Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I can't help .... sorry but nothing open here today at home.

But for the ladies out there an idea - I have made a small roll up bag / wallet that I use for a few notes and single card when out and about. When rolled up it sits (see if I can phrase this nicely) inside the bottom elastic my bra and under my boobs. Can't be seen and I'd notice if anyone was fiddling in that area! It's attached to a strap that looks like a necklace so is easy (ish) to retrieve when I need to.

I also have a small document wallet that is also on a strap and that feeds down so the strap is down the cleavage and under the bottom bra strap and the wallet held next to the skin under a t-shirt or top.

My gran used to have a wallet sewn inside her underwear - which could explain a few things.

Might have to let Christina answer this one as I am in enough trouble already.
She did say that it might fall straight to the floor but I am not saying anything that might incriminate me.
Thanks for the good advise

OP
OP
Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm sorry the OP got robbed, not a nice thing to happen at all :Sad:
It's obvious they didn't manage to pinch the chip off his shoulder though :whistle:

Not sure how to answer this one considering he knows me soooooo well. Maybe it is an anti kiwi thing. Please feel free to let me know. Wish I was as well knowledgable as yourself

OP
OP
Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
He seems pissed off that we didn't have a whip round and deliver the money in person.

I could be wrong but he seems very ungrateful.

Shame.
As per a lot of threads the original message gets lost in translation and I quote as below. I don't quite know what to hope for or expect. I certainly didn't expect to be attacked. I was reaching out for some help or advice. Things that in hindsight or retrospect that I should have done didn't seem to help at the time. I may be wrong and I apogise if it came across like that. But that fact is I didn't find the comments very helpful at the time

We had my wallet stolen and the replacement cards have been delayed in Milan. In between time I have noticed some fraudulent activity that I am calling the bank with. The trouble is I don't seem to be making any progress as no sooner I get in touch with the bank on my phone then the credit runs out. Is there anyone nearby that can help me or lend me some money or offer advice on what to do?
Getting desperate.
My Italy number is +3471957067
Colin

OP
OP
Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I am so glad you are sorted. I checked before I went to town this morning thinking I'd be able to cable you some funds via Western Union... maybe not much but enough to last you a day or two.

The Italian postal service is awful. I have a small business and won't supply Italy unless the customer will pay for courier delivery..... generally a courier doesn't cost much more than tracked international post. I've also found the "track and trace" for international items is dire - usually all they can say is that the parcel has left the UK.

I think that was really the crutch of the problem. I was sitting watching the cards sitting in Milan going nowhere and my money was dwindling, running out of credit on the phone and no way to top up, can't talk to my daughter, can't get to anywhere as we were running out of fuel, wild camping to save money and getting moved on by the local police. Then I get these reports that Italy post can't be trusted. I didn't know where to turn to and thought funsters might be able to help if they were in the area, as had the funsters helped when we got into this mess.
As I have said we have some money now so the stress has lifted somewhat. But I would still like Italy post to send those bloody cards to the campsite so we can continue on our merry way

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Might have to let Christina answer this one as I am in enough trouble already.
She did say that it might fall straight to the floor but I am not saying anything that might incriminate me.
Thanks for the good advise

I'm going to see if I can take some pictures later. No, nothing obscene gentlemen and you'd have to be VERY odd to find the photos at all exciting!!!!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
My wife also uses your technique with cash ,however she was still robbed. When I asked why she didn't notice she said ' I didn't think it was my money he was after.'
Regards Dave

I'm going to see if I can take some pictures later. No, nothing obscene gentlemen and you'd have to be VERY odd to find the photos at all exciting!!!!

:Doh:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Sorry to keep on and maybe I'm too cynical for my own good, but what happened to your wife's cards,was she robbed too, have you got travel insureance , why can't they help, haven't you got a eurocashcard they see to it right away, you say the other couple were robbed at the same time, how is it they havnt got the same problem, and when they were still with you couldn't they have helped more, why can't you get a train to Milan , only three hours, how is it you can keep getting on here yet you can't phone, if you have no credit surely someone can put some on it for you.
Again I'm sorry if I offend you but it's just what keeps going round in my head:Eeek:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Photos I hope!

I hope I've done this correctly and that it might help someone. I think you will have to scroll through the album to look at all the photos.

Broken Link Removed

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Sorry to keep on and maybe I'm too cynical for my own good, but what happened to your wife's cards,was she robbed too, have you got travel insureance , why can't they help, haven't you got a eurocashcard they see to it right away, you say the other couple were robbed at the same time, how is it they havnt got the same problem, and when they were still with you couldn't they have helped more, why can't you get a train to Milan , only three hours, how is it you can keep getting on here yet you can't phone, if you have no credit surely someone can put some on it for you.
Again I'm sorry if I offend you but it's just what keeps going round in my head:Eeek:

Well don't keep going on then.
All has been well explained, several of us have offered help and the emergency has been averted.
Just let it lie.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I leave all the details of my cards and emergency numbers to report theft with a family member I trust - also passport details, insurance details ... all the usual stuff. I'd hope that one phone call to this family member would sort things out. My banks also have a free call number for me to call from overseas (RBS and Lloyds) in an emergency but if you don't have a note of the numbers you are snookered of course. Easy to be wise after the event.

Travelling companions of ours were robbed at knife point in Tenerife and spent so long in the Police Station that by the time they had done reporting the crime, had forensics done and got onto their bank their accounts had been wiped out. Their daughter wired them money, enough for them to get home. It did all get sorted out but took a long time.

My parent's ex-neighbours used to leave all their valuables in a safe built into their loft. They had another safe in a more obvious place with cheap costume jewellery inside. When they did have a break-in the obvious safe was ransacked and a bit of cheap bling taken - but the real stuff was not found.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Well don't keep going on then.
All has been well explained, several of us have offered help and the emergency has been averted.
Just let it lie.

Well said Makems. As I said, Cliff and I were with Colin and Christina, and as explained in my previous post, the scumbags are so skilled it could have happened to anyone. Colin did have all his numbers and contacts on him and did as much as he could do at the time.

I agree - let it lie - if Colin is reading the comments, it can only be making a miserable situation much worse. We wish them all the best and hope they soon get back to their - up till now - very successful trip!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Ok point taken, sorry ,:sorry2::sorry2: but for anyone who maybe in the same position, what does travel insureance cover, is there no provision for this sort of thing

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi Colin and Christina, not been on line because we have been away, hope things get sorted quickly.

What I can not understand is when a funster asks for help where does all this negativity come from, as has been proven funsters do step up and help.

A lot of us have met Colin on his extensive travels through Europe and in the UK, IF Colin can get caught out believe me any one can.

Glib comments don't help when a fellow funster is in trouble, but help and understanding do.

Keep us posted Colin and good to know there are good people around as well as scum bags.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
For future reference, how would you go about helping someone by sending them money if they cannot access there bank account due to not having a card?

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
For future reference, how would you go about helping someone by sending them money if they cannot access there bank account due to not having a card?

Hi Sandra, we were there and believe you me - it was difficult, if not impossible to work things out. Add that to the fact that Colin and Christina didn't have a permanent address over there and it was a total nightmare. Might be worth a bit of research to answer your question so that none of us is caught like this in the future. it maybe a more helpful post than the 'you should have done this and you should have done that....' :winky:

OP
OP
Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I leave all the details of my cards and emergency numbers to report theft with a family member I trust - also passport details, insurance details ... all the usual stuff. I'd hope that one phone call to this family member would sort things out. My banks also have a free call number for me to call from overseas (RBS and Lloyds) in an emergency but if you don't have a note of the numbers you are snookered of course. Easy to be wise after the event.

Travelling companions of ours were robbed at knife point in Tenerife and spent so long in the Police Station that by the time they had done reporting the crime, had forensics done and got onto their bank their accounts had been wiped out. Their daughter wired them money, enough for them to get home. It did all get sorted out but took a long time.

My parent's ex-neighbours used to leave all their valuables in a safe built into their loft. They had another safe in a more obvious place with cheap costume jewellery inside. When they did have a break-in the obvious safe was ransacked and a bit of cheap bling taken - but the real stuff was not found.

Can you give me the RBS free call number for future reference? Hopefully I will not need it but would be nice to have. Is it a free call from a mobile as a lot of them aren't? Most of the time when I ring the bank because of fraud queries I get them yo ting me back on the local sim I purchase.
I have tried to set up something similar with my daughter but the bank will not accept it for reasons only they know.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't think I should post again, after being shot down for only trying to help but, can't find a free number that you can ring from abroad but you should be able to get them on 01312420017 if they won't accept mobiles why not ring from a public pay phone or as someone else suggested British embassy or police, or and I would have done this first , try a local bank see if they can do anything, is rbs associated with any Italian bank.

OP
OP
Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Now that I have had time to sit and reflect, there maybe some things that people may be able to help.
If they speak Italian and can ring italy post locally, can they check out why the cards are still sitting in Milan post office after 9 days. I am happy to give you the tracking number.
If people have time, can someone ring Royal post and find out why they still use (I presume Italy Post) as a subcontractor to deliver their mail? And if they can somehow bring pressure on them to deliver the package.
Please don't post any "why should I or shouldn't he do that " if you don't want to help just don't reply.
I realise I should not have put in my very first post can someone give me money as that was not the right thing to do. Really all I want is the cards now.
My daughter is able to assist with the money so it is just the cards. I worry that the longer they linger sitting in some back room in Milan they have a high probability of going missing.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back