Help please anyone in Civitavecchia near Rome Italy (1 Viewer)

Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
Cash in underwear

My wife also uses your technique with cash ,however she was still robbed. When I asked why she didn't notice she said ' I didn't think it was my money he was after.'
Regards Dave

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Colin
I have sent you a message to you email account with details of how I can help you out until your cards arrive if you are still stuck.
Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
I only read this thread last night.
I spoke with Colin and Christina this morning (22nd) They are not out of the woods yet but are coping Ok. They seemed a bit more at ease. New cards have been ordered and received at home by his daughter who posted them on to Colin. BUT the cards have not arrived. They have apparently been held up in Milan for six days now.

He has been given cash (200euros) by a total stranger and is hopeful his cards will arrive soon. He planned to go into the city today to check it out.

He has our telephone numbers in case he needs help in a hurry.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...uTTayu00Q48SIXVUQ&sig2=CA5FGyPBwX5KfQ8qhYB8KA

Most of us on here would help if they were in the area but phishing scams of travellers abroad in trouble and needing cash are common, as above.

The OP should not have been surprised (or disappointed) at anyone thinking that it might be a scam.

It's sad but that is the world we live in today:Sad:

Hope everything works out.............:thumb:

Bebe

Free Member
May 22, 2013
Spain/East Yorkshire, Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2001
Hi Colin. Ian and I met you at the Lincoln Show. It was our first Fun rally and you made us very welcome. Thank you. I'm sorry you are stranded and have pm you. If we can help, I'm not sure how, but if we can then we will. It is awful to be stranded in your home country but to be in another country is not good. The thieves are everywhere and they are very clever. I do hope you get sorted quickly. Reading the posts just now it seems you will be feeling very alone. It is shameful that the world we live in is making it like this. I do hope your cards arrive quickly and you can continue your travels.:Smile:

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
Ok so Kiwi could have given more information and explained his situation more fully. It would have been great if he hadn't made a mistake with the phone number.

However if I was ever in a similar situation of sinking in deep shirt I doubt I would get everything right.

Of course now that I have the benefit of all the information and advice from the posts above I will be better prepared. ( not aware of the smiley for 'tongue in cheek')

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I can't help .... sorry but nothing open here today at home.

But for the ladies out there an idea - I have made a small roll up bag / wallet that I use for a few notes and single card when out and about. When rolled up it sits (see if I can phrase this nicely) inside the bottom elastic my bra and under my boobs. Can't be seen and I'd notice if anyone was fiddling in that area! It's attached to a strap that looks like a necklace so is easy (ish) to retrieve when I need to.

I also have a small document wallet that is also on a strap and that feeds down so the strap is down the cleavage and under the bottom bra strap and the wallet held next to the skin under a t-shirt or top.

My gran used to have a wallet sewn inside her underwear - which could explain a few things.

It's good to hear that Colin is now up and running again but some of the posts contain some good info that we can all use to be safer in our travels.

Perhaps it would be helpful if Puddleduck could post some pics to illustrate her methods of concealing her valuables?
:RollEyes:

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Really good news Colin. Hope you and Christina can now put Rome behind you (literally) and continue with your travels. We won't be returning there in a hurry, as I said before, but other parts of Italy are beautiful and the people are lovely, so don't let it colour your views of the country as a whole.

Keep in touch and let us know where you are on your travels. xx

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

It's good to hear that Colin is now up and running again but some of the posts contain some good info that we can all use to be safer in our travels.

Perhaps it would be helpful if Puddleduck could post some pics to illustrate her methods of concealing her valuables?
:RollEyes:

Just give me a day or two and I will oblige.

OP
OP
Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Try Skype and top that up if you can? Just a thought ...

Cheers

Hard to t up skype when they ask for your credit card and guess what it is stolen.thanks for the suggestion but no good.

OP
OP
Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
insurance cover theft? you need free wifi so go camp at a McDonalds until everything is sorted.

Great. Good idea. I'll just wait here till insurance come back to me and replace my cards and give me back the money I lost. Don't think so

OP
OP
Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Presumably you have been to a police station to report the theft.. yes ?

can they not assist with calling your bank .. or at least let you use their phone ?

Tried to go go to police after we reported the theft and guess what? They didn't want to know....

OP
OP
Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Has anyone tried ringing the number, seems a bit strange , has his fun membership been hacked:Eeek:
Is this a new scam

Yes some people did try the number and did get thru to me and did offer Possible solutions including sending money thru moneygram. I am so grateful to them that they actually did something positive.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hard to t up skype when they ask for your credit card and guess what it is stolen.thanks for the suggestion but no good.

Great. Good idea. I'll just wait here till insurance come back to me and replace my cards and give me back the money I lost. Don't think so

I cant easily tell who you are most pissed with here, the thieves or us

You asked for help, stating you had no money at all, therefore in the absence of one us offering to jump on a plane and bring you cash and food I don't quite know what you expected

Both above were good ideas and certainly offered without expectation of such a critical reply

I am glad you seem to be sorted though

OP
OP
Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Very sorry if you are upset but for someone who has motorhomed all the way from nz it seemed a very iffy post, and in fact you have done the best thing what seemed obvious in the first place , talk to someone there, they are more likely able to help you than us hundreds of miles away, and in fact you did have plenty of good suggestions off here:thumb:

1 they have flights from NZ we are not that backward. We flew from NZ and bought a motorhome from the UK.
2 would have been nice had someone bothered to call me to offer advice. But there you go.
3 you are in fact a lot closer than NZ, and probably more used to getting things stolen by pickpockets than kiwis are.
4 please out line the good suggestions as I have seemed to have missed them.

OP
OP
Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Sorry to hear of your plight Kiwi Coss, and I am glad you have found a solution. As a seasoned traveller and for someone travelling so far, please in future, don't have all your eggs in one basket. You should always have yourself a way out if the worse d
I'm sure if you were patient enough some Funster would have helped you.

Hope you get your cards and resolve your woes and enjoy the rest of your travels

Bobby

Ahhhh advice in hindsight is all good. In Future I will not put all my eggs in one basket but unfortunately this does not help my situation at the time.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
1 they have flights from NZ we are not that backward. We flew from NZ and bought a motorhome from the UK.
2 would have been nice had someone bothered to call me to offer advice. But there you go.
3 you are in fact a lot closer than NZ, and probably more used to getting things stolen by pickpockets than kiwis are.
4 please out line the good suggestions as I have seemed to have missed them.

Ahhhh advice in hindsight is all good. In Future I will not put all my eggs in one basket but unfortunately this does not help my situation at the time.

ditto

see earlier

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Not getting at anyone but after hearing all the stories about Rome, not been yet but hoping to soon, if I went walking in the town anywhere all my cards would be back in the van and all I would take is about 50 euros in cash and I would be keeping my hand in my pocket with it

Please see prevous post. Hind sight is a wonderful thing. Hard to keep your hand in both pockets when you are getting shoved onto a train and have to try to keep your balance. But I have learned from this and just be obnoxious and not care about the person I front of me

OP
OP
Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi

I am the Colin named in Kiwi Coss post earlier. I can vouch that both he and I were pickpocketed same afternoon but different locations.

I paid for our site fees before we left the campsite, a Camping Tiber. Please can I ask on his behalf to provide help to him if you are in the area. When we left he was due to have his cards sent out by his daughter in London.

Many thanks

Colin Rice

Thanks colin. It has taken a long time but thank goodness someone has posted something positive. From the prevous posts I had started to think it only happened to dumb people from that far off land. And I thought I had taken all the necessary procauctions but I was outdone by professional criminals

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Look mate, I'm getting sorry I got mixed up in this thread, I wasn't running you down I was saying you seemed more streetwise than the op looked, and couldn't see how it was genuine especially asking for money and giving a wrong phone number, I'm sorry I doughted you and would have give any help I could, but if I had been in a similer position as you, the last place I would have looked for help is a forum hundreds of miles away.

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
I'm sorry the OP got robbed, not a nice thing to happen at all :Sad:
It's obvious they didn't manage to pinch the chip off his shoulder though :whistle:

OP
OP
Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Kiwi Cross, sorry you had such a bad experience in Rome. I'm sure if someone here had been close enough to help, they would have done.
The criminals are a minority amongst the generally polite, helpful, nice Italians. Look upon it as a learning curve and put a few more security measures in place. We've all had to learn as we go along.

I have nothing but respect and fondness fro the Italians and when I have told them of our plight have bent over backwards to assist us. The country is beautiful and the people great. I was asking for help and advice at the time as I was in dire straights. Since then we have had money sent to us via money gram so it has eased the stress. You have to remember we have been touring Australia, UK and Europe since2011 and never had any problems. Maybe it lulled us into a false sense of security.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Hi Colin only just seen this are you sorted out now
I have a couple of contacts but they are in Milan and I don't know how far they are from you
Pm if any good

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I'm sorry the OP got robbed, not a nice thing to happen at all :Sad:
It's obvious they didn't manage to pinch the chip off his shoulder though :whistle:

Not sure it is a chip. If I had the same experience I would not be thinking straight and I would be P*ssed of if I asked for help and didn't receive it. Strange country, no money, don't know which way to turn, what do you do, well you get onto people that may be able to help.

Unfortunately, the people that may be able to help, really look at the post and find some things wrong with it (Phone code) sooooooo "We" jump to the conclusion that it is a "Scam" soooo we do nothing.

Are "We" wrong?? Well yes and no, yes because we should have helped, and no because we live in this scheming twisted world, that is full of scams, to the point that we cannot identify a GENUINE cry for help.

My goodness, what a world!! is it changing to a place I don't like? You bet your sweet arse it is!!!!:Doh:

OP
OP
Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We were with Colin and Christina when it happened. We had just got onto the metro train and all of a sudden we were pushed in really hard. I had my arm trapped backwards around the post in the carriage. It was out of the blue and was quite scary. I thought it had been done to get the door closed, but I think that was when Colin's pocket was picked. It was obviously a team of scumbags working together.

We then had the nightmare of trying to find the police station in Rome - you wouldn't think it would be that difficult but no one knew where it was. We did find it eventually and were able to report the crime and be left in peace for a few minutes for Colin to cancel his cards and report the theft to the banks etc.

I can vouch for them and as Colin Rice has said, when we got back to the campsite we found out that he had also had his wallet stolen as well. We moved on the next day and have spoken to loads of people since, who have either had their wallets stolen or were lucky enough to stop the scumbags in the process of them doing it. My brother was one of those lucky ones; so it does happen however careful you are.

We won't be going back to Rome in a hurry and just hope Colin and Christina get things sorted soon, and can carry on with their travels.

Thank you for your words. It really meant a lot to us. And also we appreciate you giving us a loan. Part of the problem is the cards have sat in Milan post office for the last 9 days according to Royal Post track and trace. And no one can say why. Whenever anyone rings from UK to check progress, they get " at least it is I the correct country" like this is normal and accepted. This all added to my stress. And it is still sitting in Milan and it is difficult when we try to ring and no one can speak English. That is if they answer the call which most of the time they don't.

OP
OP
Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Colin
I have sent you a message to you email account with details of how I can help you out until your cards arrive if you are still stuck.
Mike

Thanks Mike. Really appreciated the phone call and from Malcolm. At last someone coming to the rescue.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back