Help Planning a week in Scotland (1 Viewer)

Kathleen

Free Member
May 17, 2012
Toronto
Funster No
MH
rental
Exp
Hi,

I have just rented a 7 passenger motor home for a week long journey through Scotland, starting in Glasgow (july 7-14). It is me, my husband, our 3 kids (13, 11,11) and my in-laws. They moved to Canada from Scotland in their 20s and have gone back frequently, but always to see relatives. This time they want to see Scotland!

We would like to go off the beaten path a bit yet still take in many of the major sites so a combination of motor home parks and quite gems would be perfect. There are so many wonderful things to do and see in Scotland that it would be easier to plan our itinerary around our overnight spots.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Any must-see's?

Kathleen
Toronto

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Great you joined us Kathleen :thumb:

where did you rent from in the end?

I can recommend the west coast, right up to Clachtoll Beach, there is a nice campsite there, the owner is called Jim, remember the forum to him :thumb:

http://clachtollbeachcampsite.co.uk/
Then there is a great pie shop at Lochinver and you could if you were brave g accross to Applecross, a dfficult but not impossible drive.

Then of course there is the Lochs etc etc etc , we love Scotland, get north of Fort William and you enter a beautiful world :Smile:

OP
OP
K

Kathleen

Free Member
May 17, 2012
Toronto
Funster No
MH
rental
Exp
moved to this forum

Hi, thanks for finding me over here. I said my good-byes to all the helpful folks in the General Forum just now.

We ended up with Yourmotorhome.com and a 7 passenger. Wish us luck!

I will look into that suggestion, thank you.

Kathleen

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Kathleen try http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/ for places to stay :thumb: but of course funsters will know little gems that they may PM you with so that they are not full all the time ::bigsmile:You can find all sorts of just off road places when you get into the wilds of Scotland :thumb:If you use common sense,Worst that can happen is somebody may ask you to move on ::bigsmile:
terry

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Hi Kathleen, a week will only let you scratch the surface.

However if you set off from Glasgow, I agree with Haganap, just head North and West....
I spent most of my youth on motorbike camping holidays up there as I lived and grew up just outside Glasgow.

It's an easy drive from Glasgow up through Glencoe to Fort William, you could then take a peek at Loch Ness, then cut west from Invermoriston on the A887 then A87 to Kyle of Lochalsh. You could then cross the bridge (toll free now) and have a day or two on Skye.

Plockton just a few miles from Kyle of Lochalsh is a lovely village. You could then go up to Achnasheen then down the side of Loch Maree and follow the coast road (A832) past Laide (Gruinard Bay) and round to Ullapool. There is a nice beach campsite at Laide.
If you continue a little further after Ullapool there is Clachtoll Beach as Haggers mentioned.

The road back from Ullapool to Inverness is pretty good, and from Inverness its an easy drive back to Glasgow.

I just hope you get some good weather as it is such a beautiful country, amd with some sunshine it is even more magnificent.....:thumb::thumb:

Just be prepared for the midges (Have some Avon So Soft lotion at the ready)

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
Mull is great and there is a lovely spot on Loch Buie, but a 7 mile trip down the narrowest of roads to get to it. plug this into Google earth or maps.
Lat 56°21'21.50"N
Lon 5°52'25.64"W

Fidden near Fionnphort is a good site with excellent facilities

Wester Ross is stunning if you go North from Kyle of Lochalsh

Drew

jabbaman1

Free Member
Feb 21, 2011
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2006
Little gem

HI, Kathleen thought you might like to take a look at this little gem ,I try to get here at least once a year http://www.carradalebay.com/ ,The wardens name is Colin plenty to do a beautiful scenery have a great time jabbaman 1:thumb::thumb:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Kathleen

I am from Scotland and will firstly say what a great choice of holiday. Now i know Scotland might be slightly smaller than Canada:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: but its still a rather big country to cover in a week.

So it really depends what you want to do on your holiday if you want to see loads but do little then you could cover loads of miles on the other hand you could spend a day or two in a nice area and discover whats there. If your flying in to Glasgow you could spend a night there and visit the city as its a wonderful place and the people are the best you will ever meet :ROFLMAO:.

If your kid enjoy cars and stuff you could visit the transport museum all free and a great day out, you could then head up to Loch Lomond then over to Stirling where you could visit the castle. Then have a wee drive to the Falkirk wheel before heading to Edinburgh for a day or two where there are 2 nice sites Silverknowes caravan club site and Drummorh a lovely site on east of city.
Here you could visit Edinburgh castle and other interesting places, dont know if this is any help not loads of miles driving but loads to do and see.

You could always head south to Dumfries and Galloway lovely part of Scotland and one of the quietest what ever you do have a great holiday

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Dont miss the Cairngorms, we stayed at Grantown on Spey , a nice site and small town .
We also stayed at the C&Cclub site on Skye, a lovely location and Skye is beautiful. :Smile:

OP
OP
K

Kathleen

Free Member
May 17, 2012
Toronto
Funster No
MH
rental
Exp
Lots of votes for Skye and Caringorm

This is great information.

As a note: We are actually in Scotland for 2 weeks total. We have 2 days before the motorhome pick up and 5 after to spend in Glasgow, Edinburgh and other non motorhome friendly places so we are looking to get out of the metropolitan centres for that week.

Thanks everyone.
Kathleen

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back