Help needed

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Jamiejcuk, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Jamiejcuk

Jamiejcuk Read Only Funster

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice and help off fellow motor home users. I'm looking to buy a campervan/motor home and will have a budget of £3000.

I would like to use it for everyday use and on my days off to visit places. Is there a motorhome that could justify daily use and be reasonable and fuel price and cost?

Thank you

2. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

your budget would be your most serious limitation. that sort of budget unfortunately wont buy much other than an older home converted panel van. of which there are plenty about, and if you stick with something commonplace like a ford transit, parts are readily available and it will fit in any parking bay

3. motorhomer

motorhomer Read Only Funster

The other possibility might be an old citroen based romahome, certainly small enough for everyday use. But even these could be over your budget, and I would worry about ongoing reliability of a 20+ year old van.

Good luck, hope you find something.

4. Viennese

Viennese Funster

Mazda Bongo

can be bought for that price and is small enough to be a daily use vehicle.

Catherine

5. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Ok.. this is going to sound very odd indeed, but it worked for friends of ours after they took the advice

Keep watching on German eBay ( http://www.ebay.de )

A van over 20 years old is bloody expensive to keep on the road for them so they go really cheap

Our first van was brought over from Germany ( not by me but a very small dealer who we bought from ).. He happily admitted it had cost him £2800 plus £80 to register it here.
    We paid him £8000 for it !!

A car trip to Germany to collect a van is not that much lolly, and getting it registered here is a 10 minute job at your local DVLA office ( look it up, there are loads up and down the country )

The only real downside is that you would be buying sight unseen, but having said that, the German folk REALLY know how to look after their motorhomes and they usually fit some great after market stuff too
    But even there you may struggle to find something for £3000 I am afraid :Sad:

Here is a link you may find useful:
    http://www.ivan.co.nz/MHGerman.htm

Oh, and if you do use the German eBay, try the word reisemobile in the search :Smile:

I use Google Chrome as a browser. It has an automatic translation facility built in which is pretty handy for such things :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi have a look on ebay at jap imports,bongos etc,Small enough for everyday use and reliable :thumb:Good for the odd couple of nights away and with a bit of planning the odd week.If you need larger and not tooo bothered about the conversion lots of self builds around but lots of SHED builds around as well :Wink::BigGrin:
    terry

7. Terry

Terry Funster

Just been looking on ebay and there are a few Traffics,Honda acty,bedford raskil,VWt25,and Bambi's which may fit the bill :Smile:
    terry

8. martin1485

martin1485 Funster

I would be wary about a DIY conversion. (Not to say don't buy at any cost, just be wary).

You can get a proper conversion for your budget but as ever, you really need to be careful and either know what you are looking at or take someone with you who does. Think carefully about your minimum requirements in terms of specification, equipment, what you will use it for etc etc.

Something like this which is by a reputable converter looks ok in the ad so may be worth a closer look:

http://motorhomes.autotrader.co.uk/...halifax-mfpa-8ab2d65a351996ca01351aab334a6c55