Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Each to their own NickNic - I've never understood the pricing of art, but I do know it's very faddy, and what's valuable today isn't always valuable tomorrow. Buying for investment is a very tricky business.

A printers proof is an interesting thing to have, probably more so than an authorised print to collectors of his work (y)

Probably why I had to do a last second 'sniper' bid to get my hands on it - there was competition. Certainly a prized possession now I've got it, and not for re-sale.

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
Gursky works with a medium format film camera, processes and prints his own film, then scans them to digitally manipulate them. The amount of work involved in producing that image is staggering. It isn't point and shoot with a digital camera.

As I said before I don't really like the Rhein picture but I can appreciate what he was trying to achieve and the work involved.

Have a look at another famous one of his, 99c II Diptychon, a snip at a shade over £2 million. Again it's not really my taste but the work involved can't be questioned.
I used a medium format camera back in the days when taking a picture using the camera was skill, the days when you had to frame the scene in the camera and use the right lighting, it was also fully manual so why are my pictures not art! :confused: Is it because art is not about skill it is telling people it is art and the gullible amongst us pay them for it (n)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I used a medium format camera back in the days when taking a picture using the camera was skill, the days when you had to frame the scene in the camera and use the right lighting, it was also fully manual so why are my pictures not art! :confused: Is it because art is not about skill it is telling people it is art and the gullible amongst us pay them for it (n)

Who says they aren't?

Fine art photography doesn't really do it for me but I try and take something out of any image I see. The Gursky one makes more sense once you know what he was trying to achieve. Was it worth so much money? Enough people obviously thought so to bid it that high in an auction. Would I hang it on my wall? No.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Who says they aren't?

Fine art photography doesn't really do it for me but I try and take something out of any image I see. The Gursky one makes more sense once you know what he was trying to achieve. Was it worth so much money? Enough people obviously thought so to bid it that high in an auction. Would I hang it on my wall? No.

I'd have it on my wall whether it was £2.7 million or 50p at a car boot sale.
It's a superb piece of art. :)

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
still use 1/4 plate on very old Crown Graphic when the weather and lots of time permits ( only B & W ) and although A-130 film is no longer available for my 1917 No.2-C Autographic to produce negs at just less than 5 x 3" I have managed to use 120 film with a mask and doctored reels to produce 4.7 x 2.1" negs.

sorry OT

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Although it works I dont use it, film is expensive and hard to come by. Someone told me you can get it in Croatia ?
Phil

EFKE 127 roll film. If any funster is heading out to Croatia and sees it for less than a tenner a roll I'd be interested.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
EFKE 127 roll film. If any funster is heading out to Croatia and sees it for less than a tenner a roll I'd be interested.

Any use to you?

Broken Link Removed

or

Broken Link Removed

I know it says out of stock but the price isn't bad.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Any use to you?

I know it says out of stock but the price isn't bad.

The second link is certainly useful thanks, if they're ordered from the website rather than the eBay shop. The quoted price for 5 rolls plus P&P is quite competitive.

I've got a 1931 bakelite Purma Special which takes 127 rolls. I'd like to try taking some pics with it sometime.

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Right - I ate a whole bar of Pistachio Nougat from the Bon Bon Palace in Montelimar last night, so we walked to Kelston Round Top today! I took the Lumix and snapped the following photos. I concentrated on Aperture Priority today, but all I can say is 'Fuzzy'!

I think I am better at close ups, and the one photo I took with the automatic setting, I think is the best!

I welcome criticism - constructive or otherwise!
The tump in the distance is where we were headed. Taken on F8 setting - the highest the camera has - I figured I wanted the background as clear as the foreground - but ended up with fuzzy!

P1010468.JPG

I kept it on F8 for this one, to get the depth of field in the close up? Did I do right?
P1010474.JPG

We are almost at the tump! Still taken on F8
P1010478.JPG

At the top - this is where your Dairy Milk used to be made - the Cadburys factory - about to be made into luxury apartments - once they get the asbestos out!
P1010495.JPG

I tried to get the old Severn Bridge in - but just got fuzzy! - still on F8
P1010483.JPG

I did this one on the macro setting - the only bench at the top of the hill, with the bum shaped dip!
P1010481.JPG

On the way back down, I took this on the automatic setting...
P1010500.JPG

One taken on F8 with Clifton in the foreground,
P1010488.JPG

And on the way back with some dinghys on the river - almost max zoom on F8 again.
P1010502.JPG

We saw some cows on the way back.... Close ups with F2.8
P1010524.JPG

Maximum photos to add to this post, so will post some more later!

Please say where I am going wrong!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Right - I ate a whole bar of Pistachio Nougat from the Bon Bon Palace in Montelimar last night, so we walked to Kelston Round Top today! I took the Lumix and snapped the following photos. I concentrated on Aperture Priority today, but all I can say is 'Fuzzy'!

I think I am better at close ups, and the one photo I took with the automatic setting, I think is the best!

I welcome criticism - constructive or otherwise!
The tump in the distance is where we were headed. Taken on F8 setting - the highest the camera has - I figured I wanted the background as clear as the foreground - but ended up with fuzzy!

View attachment 83893

I kept it on F8 for this one, to get the depth of field in the close up? Did I do right?
View attachment 83895

We are almost at the tump! Still taken on F8
View attachment 83896

At the top - this is where your Dairy Milk used to be made - the Cadburys factory - about to be made into luxury apartments - once they get the asbestos out!
View attachment 83897

I tried to get the old Severn Bridge in - but just got fuzzy! - still on F8
View attachment 83898

I did this one on the macro setting - the only bench at the top of the hill, with the bum shaped dip!
View attachment 83899

On the way back down, I took this on the automatic setting...
View attachment 83900

One taken on F8 with Clifton in the foreground,
View attachment 83905

And on the way back with some dinghys on the river - almost max zoom on F8 again.
View attachment 83907

We saw some cows on the way back.... Close ups with F2.8
View attachment 83902
Maximum photos to add to this post, so will post some more later!

Please say where I am going wrong!

They are all OK. The 'fuzzy' ones are the ones at the longest end of your lens. Have a check of your image quality settings and make sure it's set for the best quality possible***. It looks to me like they are a bit low res as do the backgrounds on some of the others. It's nothing you've done, just a settings issue I think.

Aperture priority is fine to get the hang of aperture, have a crack at shutter priority next, then think about both together.

In light like that it's sometimes worth experimenting with your white balance as well but you should probably get to grips with the shutter and aperture before you worry about that.

***If your camera supports RAW ignore it for now, it will just confuse things

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think the "fuzz" is just what you get using a telephoto setting when the air is not crystal clear.

You can get rid of a lot of it using Adobe Lightroom and you can add a bit of "punch" to the pictures as well. It is possible to over do post processing and I am very guilty of that!

Here is an extreme example, a reconstructed round house in Spain taken on a hillside covered in low cloud. The original, which I don't have access to as I am away from home, so you will just have to take my word for it, was unusable as the white out meant the round house looked like it was photographed through a frosted glass window. You can see how bad the mist was by looking at the background. With Adobe Lightroom cranked up to almost maximum it was possible to strip away most of the mist from around the house and restore some of the colour.
P4300260.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Quite agree DBK was just looking at Cliff's landscapes, nice shots by the way and haze can be significantly reduced with simple cheap programs not the terribly expensive PS. 'Before' and 'after' here.
P1010495.JPG

P1010495enh.JPG

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back