Help needed to get my head around Ipads etc

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by colyboy, Oct 21, 2014.

1. colyboy

colyboy Funster

Have been spending a lot of time looking at ipads etc. The two I have shortlisted are the Apple Ipad and the Samsung Galaxy.

Friends of ours have an Apple one thing I liked is that when photos have been taken you can get full GPS details on them. BUT I like the look and price of the Galaxy but cannot find the GPS feature on this one. Have you a Galaxy and what do you think of it and does it have the GPS feature?

colyboy

2. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

I'm thinking of a tablet, first to be answered is "will it do anything more than SatNav / Phone with Internet / camera do?"
    This thread will be interesting.
    May be a dumb question, but why is GPS significant?

The world seems to be becoming GPS obsessed.
    Cant see the need on an ipad / tablet or whatever.
    Or am I missing a potential use?

3. Chris69

Chris69 Read Only Funster

Hi I am in the ipad camp.
    For the past 25 years I have used msdos and later windows based computers but have recently converted to Mac and ipad. I wish I had done it years ago.
    I particularly like the fact that iphone, ipad and Macbook syncronize though icloud. A photo taken with iphone automatically appears on the other devices.
    I also find Apple products easy to use and the software that meets most peoples needs is free from itunes.
    Another advantage is that you do not need virus protection and no longer have, the almost daily, updates for Windows.

If you don't want the recently launched ipad air 2 the air 1 and ipad mini have been reduced quite a bit on the Apple UK website.
    They also sell refurbished with full 1 year warranty.

Hope this helps
    Chris

4. wingman

wingman Funster

A lot of MH people and others use the GPS capability in conjunction with Apps like 'CoPilot' for navigation. There are some that say it's much better than using a conventional motoring GPS.

I have an iPad wifi only version and wish that I had bought the 3g version.

For flying, I use a separate GPS unit bluetoothed to the iPad with a comprehensive Navigation program. A similar, though more simple version can be used in a vehicle.

iPad is my preferred tablet. More expensive though.

5. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Ah, Apple are taking over the world. So far this year I have spent a fortune trying to keep up. I bought myself an iPad, an iPhone, an Apple Mac and splashed out more dosh on Mrs Badknee buying her an iRon and a iRoning board. (y)

• Like Like x 4
  6. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

7. Bilbat

Bilbat Funster

I have Galaxy tab because you can expand the memory with a micro SD card. I don't think you can do this with an Ipad.

8. Ron & Gerri

Ron & Gerri Funster

I have an iPad, and I do love it, but it is somewhat limited compared with Android based tablets. My sons are both very savvy (19 and 20, of course they are!) and the eldest says that it depends on what you actually want to do with it! IPads are quicker and good if you have a Mac computer and iPhone so you can sync all your stuff. But Android tablets are more versatile as many have micro usb access which iPad doesn't have. He says the Hudl2 at Tescos looks like a good deal.

9. B-well

B-well Funster

ummmmmmmm i`m still non the wiser

• Like Like x 1
  10. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

I have a Galaxy, an older model that I got at a great price. I wanted it for navigation, email away from home and as an e-reader. It does all I want and more. I've never used an iPad..... too much hype and to expensive for me but I know people that have them say they are the bees knees.

11. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

I tried a Hudl2 and took it back the day after I bought it. The screen was unresponsive. The Galaxy is a far superior beast for the same money for the older model I bought.

12. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Why would you want to take photos with a bl*&dy great iPad (or Samsung Galaxy if you must:confused:) :eek:

If you want to have GPS information on your photos there are plenty of small compact cameras that will do a MUCH better job!

If you want a Tablet style device for general internet consumption then chose which ever one you prefer, they are all much of a muchness quite frankly.

Me? I think the Apple products are better made, nicer to use and better all round than all of the others(y)

Pays yer money and takes yer choice ;) The only real attraction to the Galaxy is the price, and that's not that much of a saving. You can now buy an iPad for £319 or an older style mini for £199. More than that will buy you the latest models but you may not really need them?

This might help...... http://www.apple.com/uk/ipad/compare/

13. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

14. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

I thought that as well and the Galaxy is a lot heavier than just a camera. However the galaxy is smaller/lighter than a paperback book (which I would also have along) and I can edit photos and email them directly from the Galaxy. The camera has more megapixels and takes better photos though.

I suppose it just depends on what you want the machine to do. I use my tablet far more than I thought I would but it doesn't replace my PC or my camera. It's just another tool, a jack-of-all-trades which is useful for travelling.

15. colyboy

colyboy Funster

Thanks everybody for your input. After reading the "Which" report on tabs. I think I am going down the Galaxy route.

colyboy

16. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Bear in mind though that gps is only given if you are in a wifi zone or you have a 3G /4G sim at the time you take the photo.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  17. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

18. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

The iPad has its place and a nice bit of kit. Lots of videos on YouTube covering how to use it....have a Google for dummy's guide to iPad. (No offence) I have dummy guides on most tech kit these days! lol

19. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

I am very firmly in the android camp, as I cant stand being controlled by the likes of apple what I can and cant put on MY tablet. plus you can upgrade by adding more memory etc

mentioned it last week, I recently bought a cheap £39 8inch tablet from a Chinese seller on eBay for my grandson. very impressed for the price and does just about everything an iPad can do for £400

• Like Like x 2
  20. Jazzbow

Jazzbow Read Only Funster

We have both and I prefer Samsung.

• Like Like x 1