Help needed please to identify battery parts. (1 Viewer)

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
For reasons that I'm too embarrassed to mention I've severely depleted my vehicle battery.
It's a Fiat Ducato x250.
To me it looks something from a lunar module, I need to identify both poles, firstly to detach the -ve connection and then attach clips from my charger.
You may have sussed my technical limitations:unsure:
Ducato battery.jpg

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
Positive terminal is in the top left hand corner, you can just see the terminal and the + symbol above it

Negative terminal is on the top right corner with the -ve lead connected by the nut on the black lead coming into the bottom right corner

Hope this helps

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
You dont need to touch your battery, there are connections under the bonnet, If you look in engine compartment on right side above air filter is a small plastic like lid, if you open it there is a positive connection, and an earth point front right.

Eric

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
If you disconnect the black lead on the right of your picture, the one with the bar code label on it, you will have disconnected the negative pole.

Rather than connect the charger to the battery, look under the bonnet. Towards the right hand side, under a small cover, there is a terminal for the specific purpose of connecting jump leads or a charger. You will see that it has heavy cable running from it, like the thick cables in your picture. With luck, someone will post a link to a picture of it. Connect the positive (red) charger lead to that terminal & the negative lead to any substantial chunk of bare metal. For this to work, don't disconnect the negative lead at the battery though!

If you really want to disconnect at the battery, then everything on the left of centre is positive & everything to the right is negative. I don't think it matters much where you connect the charger leads so long as you are on the right side - everything on each side is interconnected. From choice, connect to the biggest cable or terminal you can, so where those big leads come in at the bottom of the picture.

EDIT: What Eric said.

OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Thanks folks, the under bonnet connection appears to be for jump starting only so I'm probably having to go for the battery terminals themselves.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Thanks folks, the under bonnet connection appears to be for jump starting only so I'm probably having to go for the battery terminals themselves.

It's fine to charge from the terminals under the bonnet. You don't need to touch the battery.

OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
I've done the under bonnet connection, the charger shows no error lights and there were no loud explosions so I'll leave it until charger indicates a full battery, Thanks again all!

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
If you disconnect the black lead on the right of your picture, the one with the bar code label on it, you will have disconnected the negative pole.
Glad to hear it's all working.

Not that it matters now, but I realise on reflection that what I said above was wrong. Just disconnecting that lead doesn't fully disconnect the battery - you would need to slacken the bolt top right which clamps that whole terminal block onto the battery post. Then the whole thing just lifts off. It would be easier to do if you did remove that lead first though.

OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Fully charged this morning, thanks people!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back