Help needed for a special child's dream (1 Viewer)

Cymro

Free Member
Jun 2, 2013
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Not yet
Exp
Dear All

We really need some help to make a very ill young boys dream come true.

A family friends son who is very ill wants to travel to Disneyland Paris and then over the Alps to Spain.

It was the second thing on his list of things that he wants to do and we are all determined to make it happen.

Originally they were going to use another friends motor home for the trip but annoyingly this is now not possible.We then looked at hire but for six weeks its so expensive. So after various donations from friends and family and a charity night down the local pub we have raised four thousand pounds to buy a van and the plan is to sell it upon there return and donate the proceeds to a cancer charity.

There will only be David and his parents on the trip and the plan to stay in Hotels when required when David needs to rest.

They are ideally after something that is under 6 meters because dad hs never driven anything bigger than a car before, that will give them some comfort during the trip and most importantly be reliable because serious breakdowns would be a nightmare.

We have looked on ebay for it seems to be a minefield and the dealers are way to expensive.

So does anybody know of anybody who has a van that would fit the bill and the budget of 4k.

Any help would be very appreciated as the departure date is fast approaching.

Thank you in advance,

Michael

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
Dear All

We really need some help to make a very ill young boys dream come true.

A family friends son who is very ill wants to travel to Disneyland Paris and then over the Alps to Spain.

It was the second thing on his list of things that he wants to do and we are all determined to make it happen.

Originally they were going to use another friends motor home for the trip but annoyingly this is now not possible.We then looked at hire but for six weeks its so expensive. So after various donations from friends and family and a charity night down the local pub we have raised four thousand pounds to buy a van and the plan is to sell it upon there return and donate the proceeds to a cancer charity.

There will only be David and his parents on the trip and the plan to stay in Hotels when required when David needs to rest.

They are ideally after something that is under 6 meters because dad hs never driven anything bigger than a car before, that will give them some comfort during the trip and most importantly be reliable because serious breakdowns would be a nightmare.

We have looked on ebay for it seems to be a minefield and the dealers are way to expensive.

So does anybody know of anybody who has a van that would fit the bill and the budget of 4k.

Any help would be very appreciated as the departure date is fast approaching.

Thank you in advance,

Michael

Wow, that's a real heartbreaker, but i have to say that 4k isn't much of a budget. There are some very experienced guys here who can give more informed advice than me.

My first thought is to try for an old Hymer, but even the old ones are high spec and very much sought after so hold their price well. You are travelling a good distance and you need something reliable, especially given the lack of experience and the potential medical needs of David. The last thing you need is a breakdown in a foreign land, with no rescue cover etc.

You dont mention just what is wrong with David and what his medical needs might be as if he needs mains powered equipment this might present some extra problems. This may also reflect on the choice of vehicle in terms of sleeping arrangements and so forth.

Last edited:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I wish you good luck but that amount is not enough in my opinion to buy a van

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
C

Cymro

Free Member
Jun 2, 2013
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Not yet
Exp
Thanks

Hi

Thank you for your response

David has no requirements for the van and we appreciate that 4k is not much but we are still raising money everyday.

The sensible idea would be to hire one but we are really keen to donate the proceeds to charity at the end of the trip.

We really just want to make this happen.

Thank you

Michael

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
To be honest, the money is irrelevant in this context.

To make the boys dreams come true without hassle, worry and stress...hire a van. I know its a lot of money, but its so much simpler; newer van, recovery included and insurance, should be reasonably stocked etc.

I reckon you'd need closer to 10k to get a decent van, stock it and importantly test run prior to the long journey.

I dont know David, but it seems to me you need to make this boys dreams come true, dreams rarely include figuring out how to deal with a broken gearbox, blown headgasket or a failed clutch.

Hire a van, make the boy happy. Then raise some more cash and donate that?

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
AS YOU HAVENT SPECIFIED THE ILLNESS SO HERE ARE SOME STARTERS FOR YOU

FIRSTLY - CONTACT DISNEY - They support various charities and can point you in the right direction

there are various charities that makes childrens wishes come true

Link Removed
this one is in partnership with Disney, the charity offers children with cancer, aged three to eighteen, and their immediate family, the opportunity of a three-day break at Disneyland Resort Paris. Whether for a weekend or mid-week stay this is a chance for the whole family to sample the special magic that only Disney can make.

HERE is a link to WISH GRANTING organisations

Broken Link Removed

see if any apply to his situation

Have you tried the make a wish foundation

Let me know once you have looked at all these options if you are still in need and I will see what else I can find for you

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I'm with Deckhard. You would be better hiring.
Ebay is full of scammers :Angry: so you would have to be careful to not get taken in.

4K is no budget for a reliable motorhome big enough for a family. If you have a terminally ?very ill child on board you would need a reliable vehicle.
I would even go as far as saying it would be a bad idea IMO
Much better to do as Gail suggests get intouch with various charities. You may not even have to raise as much as you think then.
I would say the Disney trip by plane and a stay over in a hotel . Then fly to Spain and stay somewhere nice and comfortable there too.

What is his first thing on his to do list BTW ?

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Six weeks is a long time to spend in a motorhome if you're not already used to living in them, and especially if somebody is in poor health. It's a very different routine to what you might think.

To my mind your £4000 would get you a far more pleasant train and plane trip than a long hike in a very low cost camper van, if such a thing existed.

I don't want to come across as a bubble burster here, but surely what's done and seen at the destinations is more important than the mode of travel?

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
You can also contact a motorhome builder i.e. Swift , Autotrail,
They might want to help with a motorhome .
Or a large hire company.

OK they will use the puplicity for there own gain.

But it would be a win win situation.

Hope you find an answer asap

Mel

OP
OP
C

Cymro

Free Member
Jun 2, 2013
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Not yet
Exp
Hi All

Thank you for everybody's words of advice so far you have all been very kind.

David has a rare brain tumour and the very sad thing is that he is very healthy in himself at the moment and if you saw him you would never ever guess that the prognosis was so severe.

We have had approval from his Doctor who says that he has nothing to loose with him going away but it's either this summer or never because the chances are that he will be to ill for it next summer.

The flying suggestions etc are great but what he wants is the campervan experience and it came about from a similar trip he made with his grandfather when he was only six he is eleven now and wants to do it again.

Somebody asked what was the first thing on his to do list believe it or not it was to be a mechanic for a day because cars are his thing, he did this last month and was lucky enough to help with a little job. The mechanics who spent the day with him were amazzzzing they have him his own special overalls and a small socket set.

Once he had helped to change the break pads and discs on the Porsche 911 the took him to McDonald's in it for its test run. I never thought something so simple could give him so much joy.

Believe it or not he is really hoping for a couple of breakdowns so he can get his new socket set out lol

Would still appreciate if anybody knows of a decent reliable van for sale that fits the bill if you can help please get in touch.

Thank you again

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Hi

Thank you for your response

David has no requirements for the van and we appreciate that 4k is not much but we are still raising money everyday.

The sensible idea would be to hire one but we are really keen to donate the proceeds to charity at the end of the trip.

We really just want to make this happen.

Thank you

Michael

Just thinking alternatives.

If you were spending £4k on a car could that do the same job as you intend to o/night in hotels and that would buy quite a reasonable estate.
not perfect by any means but big enough

Or A Day-Van ?

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
To endorse some of the earlier suggestions it would be more cost effective to hire and if it was coupled with a hire company or dealers sponsorship even better.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
If my van had more seatbelts I'd offer to take them myself, maybe someone else with sufficient beds and belts can help out. I don't though see the need for a motorhome when you are happy to stay in hotels overnight. An estate car would suffice and be cheaper to run.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi and welcome :thumb: Try looking Broken Link Removed
Frankie is french but looking at vas on a similar budget but also wants LHD lots to look at but it gives a idea of what is around at your price :thumb: A lot more choice with RHD thrown in the mixture -If you spot anything just ask for opinions-may not be the answer you look for but if you listen you won't go far wrong :winky:
terry

OP
OP
C

Cymro

Free Member
Jun 2, 2013
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Not yet
Exp
That's great advice thank you, how can some of the vans on gumtree I have just seen be so ridiculously cheap.

They will be staying in hotels as required but they will also stay overnight in the van when they are all able to.

The estate idea really does not work otherwise it would be very easy,he wants to go by campervan like he did with his grandfather and as stated sleep in it as and when.

The hire we have looked at but at we think its wasteful of the money raised especially when they will be in hotels most nights, and his parents are really keen for all the proceeds from the van sale once the trip is completed goes to a good cause under his name.

So if anyone knows of a van that fits the bill we have four and a half thousand pounds now then please let me know.

We have other fundraising events planned that will hopefully raise enough cash for hotels, fuel, food spending money etc so our overall target to make this happen is 10k

We made contact with a couple of hire companies allready who said the would support us but really can't during the summer holidays which is a fair response I think.

Thank you all again

Ps he is aware of what he is facing and also thinks that buying one and then donating the proceeds is the best way to go

OP
OP
C

Cymro

Free Member
Jun 2, 2013
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Not yet
Exp
Help lol

Just had a pvt message about a van on ebay that expires at 9pm tonight.

It's the burgundy J reg Dethleffs any thoughts please ASAP would be greatfully received

It looks perfect to me but then I know nothing about motor homes

Thanks

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Think it's this one. Beware of damp in such a vehicle, it could make it almost valueless. :Smile:

Link Removed

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Firstly DON'T even think about buying a van unseen :Eeek:--if it is the one in the link it could well make 5 or 6 k when the aution finishes
Secondly pay the tenner and become a full member then you can ask as many questions as you like -it will be the best money you spend on a m/h
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back