Help Needed and Quick!!! (1 Viewer)

pelliott1954

Free Member
Sep 16, 2010
Funster No
Hi All,

Was supposed to be going away for the first time this year tomorrow, went to fill the water tanks, which filled ok but can't get any water from the taps, just spluttering!!!!

The MH is a Autotrail 635SE Cheyenne, 2007 and only done 5k so not had much use.

I am a newbie and have only used the MH once before last November so not too good at troubleshooting.

I have checked the strainer on the pump, that is clean, I have the dump valve in the system laying flat and closed.

As soon as I swich the pump on at the switch over thr door it starts pumping even when tap is closed, I would expect that to happen for a very short time only whilst it pressurises the system, but, nothing happens and the pump keeps running which is a bit worrying as it seems to be dry.

When I first took the strainer bowl off it had water in it, then I decided to have another look to make sure I had seated it right and it wasn't sucking air I found it bone dry, so to me no water is getting as far as the pump!!!

I phoned Brownhills and they asked me to check the outlet pipe from the dumpvalve to see if that was sucking air in, as if the valve was stuck open but it wasn't, then they got me to unscrew the strainer again, with the pump on and a tap open and put my palm over the hole where the strainer goes to see if there was suction, there was some but not much and definitely no water!!!

Tomorrows break is looking unlikely, can anyone offer any advice, Brownhills are no saying it sounds as if the pump diaphrams are possibly gone or blocked with something.

If anyone fancies giving me a call I can add my phone number

Regards Paul

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
crude but effective
Try sucking on an open tap to assist the pump
once air is out thye system all may be well enough
Geo

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Water heater.

The water heater needds to fill up before the system will presurise, ie the pump will run and yes spluttering from any open tap will occure until water heater is full.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Alternatively blow into filler to try and pressurise the system
Geo

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
It could be a damaged pump - have you tried giving it a hand in case an air lock is causing the problem? Usually a suck on the shower hose (take the head off! ) usually helps.

I would check the pipes for splits as well, just in case one has popped. Make sure all you drains/valves are shut ...not forgetting the outside main boilier drain and the little garvity one right in the top corner.

If all else fails, then a new pump can be fitted in half an hour with no knowledge of anything technical! Easily done.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
There isn't a vacuum in the Water tank is there? Try with the filler cap off?

Spluttering suggests initially that the pump is trying to work but air in system or, as Dodgey says, it is filling up the water heater.

OP
OP
P

pelliott1954

Free Member
Sep 16, 2010
Funster No
Hi Guys, thanks for the replies so far, I have tried sucking and blowing down all taps and shower hose with the pump on and off, I have tried it with the filler cap on and off, I only know of three valves to close, one is the waste water tank, one is the fresh water tank, both on outside offside underneath and tha last is the valve inside near the water heater which allows that to empty, all are closed, don't know of any others???

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Can you draw water to the pump by sucking on the inlet hose when disconnected or does it feel like there's a restriction in the pipe?. The water you found might be residual from last outing.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
if all of the suggestions fail, just take bottled water and sort the problem later.
To bleed the system correctly start witht the taps nearest to the pump, then move outwards bleed both hot and cold water, no need to put the heater on but both need bleeding. (don't forget the shower, and the WC if its fed from the main tank)

OP
OP
P

pelliott1954

Free Member
Sep 16, 2010
Funster No
Hi All,
Thanks again everyone, sadly nothing works, I have it booked in at 8.30 in the morning at Countryside Motorhome Repairs near where I live so may still be able to go.

I can only think it is a diafhram (how the hell do you spell that word!!!!) inside the pump.

I will let you know how I get on!!!

Just off to get a Large Scotch

Thanks Again, Paul

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
We've had a mystery glitch with the water system as well - good luck, and have a good trip (have two scotches!)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi All,
Thanks again everyone, sadly nothing works, I have it booked in at 8.30 in the morning at Countryside Motorhome Repairs near where I live so may still be able to go.

I can only think it is a diafhram (how the hell do you spell that word!!!!) inside the pump.

I will let you know how I get on!!!

Just off to get a Large Scotch

Thanks Again, Paul
DIAPHRAM there you go...:roflmto:

sounds like you wont be far wrong with as split diaphram.

could have frozen as some water nearly always remains in the pump at draindown...good luck...and a new pump is around £75.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
We have to refill and test our water system tomorrow, could well be referring back to this thread.:thumb: Just hope our pump's diaphragm isn't u/s.:RollEyes:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Have 3 scotch's make em doubles:thumb:
You wont care if the pump works or not:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Have 3 scotch's make em doubles:thumb:
You wont care if the pump works or not:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Geo, you hit the nail squarely on the head....

cheap bottle of scotch and tip it in the water tank before winter.
open the taps and pull it through.

alcohol does freeze like water and there'll be no nasty Aftertaste to worry about when you recommission in spring....just a slight taste of 'matured' scotch :thumb::roflmto:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi I would say if its " just spluttering " its air and the pump may be OK.:Smile:

Make sure all drain valves are shut if you have a truma auto dump valve near the boiler make sure its UP.

Shut all taps turn pump On and Open one tap at a time, I start at the sink, keep open then shut for 20 seconds then Open again after the pressure has built up again when water is coming out move to the bathroom tap and so on. :winky: If that works cancel the dealers and have a good weekend. :thumb: Bob.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
The water heater can take some time to fill so pump can run seemingly forever, I leave all taps open (except shower) in fully hot position which helps heater vent properly. Hope you get it sorted soonest.

BionicPixie

Free Member
Aug 15, 2009
non
Funster No
MH
Exp
Had the same problem myself recently .... water in the system had frozen and pushed off the taps! lucky me i thought that was all ...

I have also had to remove the shower (and cubicle) to push and check the connections with had frozen and leaked and reconnect the hozes, pipe and head and change a few o rings.

All working now (fingers crossed) just need to fill, bleed and use ..... bleeding nuisance!!!!!

a single malt or three definitely would have helped when i found water everywhere and a pump that would not shut off. well may not have helped but i certainly would have cared a little less!:ROFLMAO:

5 litre bottles of water were used during the last few trips made to flush etc...they froze as well and one split thankfully it was ice when i found it! Beers in the box froze and bottles burst - tragedy!

All fixed now and fully drained in case we have another frost or three!!!

Good luck

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
this is only a guess but nobody seems to have mentioned it,

Have you looked at the OUTSIDE shower connection, this may have been left open when it was all drained down.

good luck

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
The water heater can take some time to fill so pump can run seemingly forever, I leave all taps open (except shower) in fully hot position which helps heater vent properly. Hope you get it sorted soonest.

Don't know how long your Euro's take but my Yank at 6 gallons seems to take an eternity, mainly as until water flow at the tap there is that, is leaking somewhere sick feeling, even though all our water is in the same space (under kitchen/fridge etc) and I run up and down the cupboards with a torch:Doh:

Anyway, fingers crossed for a simple fix :thumb:

OP
OP
P

pelliott1954

Free Member
Sep 16, 2010
Funster No
Hi All,

First of all could I thank everyone who took the trouble to post and offer advice, it was much appreciated.
I said I would let you know what happened, on Thursday morning last we were packed and ready to go but had no water, I had booked the MH in at Countryside Motorhomes in Lincolnshire, only 25 mins from home, to be honest thinking the worst and this will be expensive, however all was fixed in 10 mins, it was the plastic housing on the end of the water pump which the stariner threads on to. Total charge £20, what a relief.
We were then able to go away, only for two nights down to March in Camb's, very nice site, sadly we had a lot of rain but still really enjoyed it even so.

Thanks again for all the help, it's good not to feel alone when you have a problem

Paul

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi All,

First of all could I thank everyone who took the trouble to post and offer advice, it was much appreciated.
I said I would let you know what happened, on Thursday morning last we were packed and ready to go but had no water, I had booked the MH in at Countryside Motorhomes in Lincolnshire, only 25 mins from home, to be honest thinking the worst and this will be expensive, however all was fixed in 10 mins, it was the plastic housing on the end of the water pump which the stariner threads on to. Total charge £20, what a relief.
We were then able to go away, only for two nights down to March in Camb's, very nice site, sadly we had a lot of rain but still really enjoyed it even so.

Thanks again for all the help, it's good not to feel alone when you have a problem

Paul
i assume you mean it was split/frost damage ?

OP
OP
P

pelliott1954

Free Member
Sep 16, 2010
Funster No
Hi Pappajohn,

Well spotted sorry, a Senior Moment, yes it was split and the pump was sucking air, I will try and insulate it next Winter!!!

Paul

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back