Help needed after impulse booking ! (1 Viewer)

Carreraboy

Free Member
Nov 6, 2011
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
After failing to find somewhere at short notice in the uk to spend next week, I have made an impulse ferry booking for a week in France going out this Saturday for the first time in a MH.

Managed to get a return trip for £80 with DFDS but only due to the times of the crossing :Doh:

We will be arriving in Calais at about 4am so can anyone suggest somewhere fairly close to the port where we can stop and get our heads down for a couple of hours? Going to sample the wonders of Aires for the week but as we are too late to order a book, which is the best online reference to use for locations/details?

Any other advice gratefully received.

What have I been and done :Smile::Smile::Smile:

BobT

Free Member
Jun 15, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Calais

The easiest place for a kip would be the car park at the port. It can be a bit noisy because of the lorries, but if you are tired enough you will get to sleep.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Any help.. ?
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECQtxa-EHdQ&list=UUOE-s-aBMY2tdTtkdu4-tiQ&index=2&feature=plcp[/ame]

About 2.30min in it will show you where to turn for the car park..
Thats where I usually go after a late crossing...

OH,,, If you hear a 6 year old talking for the passenger seat, Ignore him !! He's still in training and doesn't have a full navigator license yet... :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
You seem to have the first night sorted - I'll need to have a look at the video myself :Smile:

For the rest of your jaunt you could try this:

http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm

It is available on a Flash Stick as well, or you could download the contents to your hard drive for a reasonable fee.

Some of it is in French only, but for the most part we find it useful. It will tell you the locations of places for night stopping, places for parking only and also campsites. If you click on the area of the map that you're interested in all the centres will be listed that have Aires.

Hope you fing it useful. We do.:thumb:

John

froghopper

Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
winchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
before they were invented
help

hii and welcome. after calais turn right and follow coast. lots of places to stay. le touquet. 2 great airs. st valerie sur somme, a magical place and about 85 miles from calais.
go to google and put in aires in northern france, amazing what comes up,
have a magic trip. if i can help come back to Barry & Eve

cheers
Froghopper:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
What have I been and done :Smile::Smile::Smile:

Best thing you've ever done !

Standard answer is the departure car park. Perfectly legal. But difficult to find and one wrong move you are in Belgium.

You leave the port but at the next roundabout look for departures and follow that. There's a big car park and a way out so that you do not have to return immediately. If anyone asks for you tickets, you've gone too far.

Try and work it out from this....

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=50.967...=4weGbqEPaRCHHdgjlgfjeg&cbp=12,226.8,,0,10.83

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
There are some good sites in the North

I know you will not have time to get a copy of the ACSI book (Camping discounts) but it is worth getting it for the out of season visits to France.. massive savings.

Also an ADAC membership for breakdown and lots of extras.. cheaper than the AA and can be used all over Europe including the UK... hunt out some previous posts on the subject.

We are heading over ourselves on Tuesday for 3 weeks.. taking the car on the trailer via the tunnel... that has excellent connections to the main routes. While we are on a midday train this time, when we have been on one late at night we have headed down a fair way towards Abbeyville and Rouen .... well away from the docks and the pests that you can get (illegals).

Have a good trip..

Bob:Blush:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Hello. I am sure you will enjoy the experience. It's much more liberating than motorhoming in UK. You may find it useful to download the files from:

Link Removed

as a POI to your satnav. You can then use it to locate any listed aires/campsites within the vicinity of where you happen to be.

You may also find the aire at Gravelines a good place to stop off once you leave the ferry at Calais. It's about half way between Calais & Dunquerke so it's no real distance

Wyn

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
When I've taken a early ferry to get the cheap rate I have just stayed in one of the motorway aires along the coast road. I wouldn't suggest this for an overnight stay, but shouldn't be a problem at 4am as it will be getting light, people are about and the tealeaves are all in bed, and you'll be up before they are.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back