help needed - 12v TV not working

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Millie's Mum and Dad, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Millie's Mum and Dad

Millie's Mum and Dad Funster

We need some help. We're away in our MH (Swift Bolero 2008 EW) and our VisionPlus TV has been working fine all fortnight on 12V, including last night. We've moved somewhere else today and the TV won't switch on, either with the handset or the power button on the TV. We've checked the connections into the panel behind and into the TV and they're fine. We've tried pulling out the mains lead to see if the 12v lights etc work OK and they do.
    We assume it's either a fuse in the panel or the TV itself, although the TV was brand new when we bought the MH in May.
    Does anyone know where we'd look to find the fuse? Or can anyone think of anything else we can try.
    Ann

2. Charlie

Charlie Funster

Does the TV plug into a normal 12V socket ? If so there may be a fuse in the plug. Also its worth checking the socket has power. Plus check all fuses in the fuse box as one may be blown. It could even be removing fuses and popping them back in cures your problem. Worth a try .

Good luck with it !

3. Millie's Mum and Dad

Thanks Charlie. Yes the TV's got a standard cigarette lighter type plug and plugs into a socket on the panel behind it. I've just tried plugging my usb phone charger, which is normally plugged into the lighter socket on the dash, into the TV socket, and it doesn't work. So that would suggest it's the fuse to the socket presumably? And of course, we don't have the 240v power pack with us to use mains. Never mind, it'll be knitting and reading tonight!

4. Moodybrook

Moodybrook Funster

Got any cable ? run a long cable from ciggy lighter socket on dash ! Take the ciggy connecter apart fairly easy job, or take wire to the leisure batts if you can get at them easy. Any cable will do for now ! :)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  5. Charlie

Charlie Funster

Very likely a fuse or possibly just a bad connection. At least you know its not the TV ! It should be an easy fix and one anyone competent with a voltage meter can sort out .

I carry a voltage meter in our van. A right handy bit of kit.

Hope you get it sorted !

Just a thought. Try plugging it in again and twist the plug when its in the socket. Also make sure the plug is fully in .

Our van has two outlets . One in the TV cabinet one in the cupboard above. The socket in the one above I think was never used before we bought the van. It was inconsistent until I did the above "wiggle" now its supplying power every time first time.

Hope you get it sorted !

6. Millie's Mum and Dad

Doh!!! Just found a rocker on/off switch below the status aerial box which had been knocked to off. Switched on and all is well.
    Thanks for your suggestions guys. In any case we must find out about our fuses and remember to carry some spares.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Charlie

Charlie Funster

Glad you got it sorted ......

8. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

I got here just too late to help you, I was going to suggest that, I am always knocking ours off by accident. Glad you found it. :D