Help, need a better radio aerial?? or (1 Viewer)

Dec 2, 2010
Hollywood, Birmingham.
Funster No
MH
A Class Laika
Exp
Since 2011
There is a window mounted aerial in our van (A class) but reception whilst driving is very poor and not impressive when parked up. The radio is a Sharp unit with removable fascia and is really fiddly to operate when on the move. I don't want to buy a replacement without sorting the aerial. Any help on the aerial would be appreciated. Recommended radio replacement would also help, don't need high quality audio, would like Fm radio, USB for music downloads and maybe CD, we still have loads of old stuff and no longer have a PC with disc drive:(
Thanks, Mike

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
You're probably going to struggle to get FM any better than it is now.

Solution for us was to change to DAB and have a windscreen mounted antenna.

Bluestar

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Class
Exp
10 years.. On and Off
To be honest Sharp aren't great, you need something with a good front end, Alpine, Kenwood, Panasonic are all good.
A simple problem like a bit of rust where the aerial mounts causing a poor earth or a loose plug at the radio end can all cause problems.

OP
OP
quickweh
Dec 2, 2010
Hollywood, Birmingham.
Funster No
MH
A Class Laika
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks for the link, first clue is the location of the screen mounted aerial, over the scuttle and engine management components which also helps to explain the improved reception when parked up. The next is to get a 360º "view" for the aerial. Time to play around with some co-ax and an aerial.
The radio is a Sharp unit with removable fascia
Sorry, it is a JVC radio, still fiddly though!!

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Earthing is as important as anything on a "Car" radio. Make sure that is good. and work from There?

I had a Kenwood. that was pretty good.?

Pete.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Yes I enjoy listening to the Radio as well, in particular Radio 2 but find the reception is crap compared to Radio 1 why is that??

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
Do you have a status unit on your roof? Try wiring the the radio to that and trying it. I've done that and it works well.

OP
OP
quickweh
Dec 2, 2010
Hollywood, Birmingham.
Funster No
MH
A Class Laika
Exp
Since 2011
Unfortunately no, I had one when caravanning and it worked well. Looking at a roof mounted aerial and a route through the van, not straightforward unfortunately.
Thanks, Mike

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
I bought a Blaupunkt radio which ticked all my boxes - FM, DAB, CD, USB, aux in etc and have two aerials (didn't want to use the Fiat Ducato aerial located in the wing mirror) one for the FM which is on the front wing and the other for the digital/DAB amplified on the windscreen. - all from Autosound (Blaupunkt direct) who were very good.
Reception is usually excellent, although I did note that the DAB (Absolute 80's radio station) sometimes tripped in & out of reception whilst driving - maybe because of coverage of where I was at the time.
Other than that, I'm really pleased with it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back